PDA

View Full Version : QAM Channel Mapping

tivo4mevo
03-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Anyone taken a look at mapping QAM channels to the guidedata of other channels?

Things seems to have changed with series 3, and simply pointing a channel to a station with guidedata doesn't seem to stick. A script to periodically recreate the QAM channel somewhat works, but seems less than ideal.

ciper
03-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Can you point me to discussion of the QAM script? I'd love to not pay rent on my cablecards just for local HD stations.

toy4two
03-30-2008, 11:01 PM
yes please let me know too where to get this QAM mapping script, how often does the scan, every 24 hours? May not be perfect like you said but good enough for people like me, nice work! :)

tivo4mevo
04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Just to clarify, the script I wrote was based upon add-av.tcl; however, as detailed in this post on tcf (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6123991#post6123991), channelmap.itcl and other tools have existed for some time (in fact, they might be better starting points).

The purpose of my post was to see if anyone else was experiencing what I am: that QAM channels pointed to the guide data of another channel seem to be culled periodically (and result in a "lineup has changed" mail message informing those channels have been deleted).

Before they are deleted, the mapped QAM channels behave as expected (season passes, searches, on-screen guide all work).

toy4two
04-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Before they are deleted, the mapped QAM channels behave as expected (season passes, searches, on-screen guide all work).

That is exactly what I've been looking for, my cable company hasn't changed their QAM mapping on the locals (the only package I have) in years so this would be awesome.

ciper
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Heh, I was even aware of those tools and didn't think to apply them to QAM mapping. Gosh darn you Tivo! :mad: Implement the damn feature officially!

tivo4mevo
04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
LineupUpdate (invoked after a phone home) was removing my mapped QAM channels and then sending a Message 62 to inform me of it. I'm unsure why, but possible reasons include

FilterDuplicateChannels detected the QAM mapped channels as duplicates,
lack of a valid headend/lineup and,
my not identifying the QAM Source as "Discovered" (possibly in conjunction with reason 2).
I ended up patching LineupUpdate in tivoapp so that it makes no lineup changes at all, and this seems to have worked (more time will tell). The patch, below, is not recommend for most as it prevents the unit from making other (legitimate) changes to the lineups. For OTA only folks, this might be acceptable, as there should be relatively little channel churn. In addition, it's always possible to temporarily swap back to your original tivoapp and allow a daily call to update your lineups (you might need to recreate your QAM channels aftwards).

For others looking to experiment more with this, alternative approaches to solve the issue might include developing a more selective tivoapp patch, developing a routerplus aware event listener (to drop messages related to your QAM lineup/channels), and experimenting with headends and sources to create some that satisfy LineupUpdate.

A better patch might be possible, as mine is the low-hanging fruit. The routerplus listener would be tricky unless you're already familiar with routerplus, but could offer a more selective mechanism to still allow legitimate lineup changes. Creating a headend and source that makes LineupUpdate happy holds the possibility to map QAM channels on unhacked boxes, but I haven't explored this enough to know whether or not it's feasible.

Note the newer patch below which obsoletes these patches

All Values are Hex

Sw Version Offset (VMA) Original Value New Value
9.2a 0x00b51f20 14400007 00000000
0x00b51f2c 14400005 00000000
0x00b51f38 10400107 10000107

9.3(a) 0x00b6754c 14400007 00000000
0x00b67558 54400005 00000000
0x00b67564 504000f8 100000f8

tivo4mevo
04-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Updated the patch to include 9.3(a). More testing shows that the QAM channels still disappear on occasion. Additionally, season passes would default from the QAM channel to the regular channel; marking the regular stations as ones you don't receive seemed to fix that. Clearly still experimental.

tivo4mevo
05-27-2008, 01:16 PM
With this more aggressive patch, I've had stable QAM mapped channels for over a month now.

All Values are Hex

Sw Version Offset (VMA) Original Value New Value
9.3(a) 0x00b64b24 27bdff30 03e00008
0x00b64b28 afb200a8 24020000
9.4.L6 0x00b7a2fc 27bdff30 03e00008
0x00b7a300 afb200a8 24020000
The patch prevents all changes to lineups (while the previous tried only to prevent LineupUpdate from dropping channels). As before, you may want to revert to an original tivoapp every so often to allow a daily call to update your channel lineup (then recreate your QAM mapped channels if need be and revert back to a patched tivoapp).

jt1134
06-19-2008, 02:02 AM
I just started messing with this tonight since I got a new TivoHD and don't need any more cablecards. I'm curious as to how you actually mapped the guide data to your QAM channels to begin with. You mentioned add-av.tcl as a starting point, did you actually create a dummy channel? If so, how'd you map the guide data to it? All I did was munge the Channel object to change the Number attribute to the one corresponding to my QAM channels.

I haven't had the changes blown away yet, but it seems to work correctly (I can still tune to the SD channels manually also), and I've applied your patches just to be safe. Thanks for those, I wouldn't have known where to start :)

I attached the script I wrote in case it may help someone or if anyone could tell me a better way to accomplish it.

tivo4mevo
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
You mentioned add-av.tcl as a starting point, did you actually create a dummy channel? If so, how'd you map the guide data to it?I created a new SignalSource in /Setup and then created channels for the QAM feeds. When creating those channels, I set the Station to point to the ATSC or Cable equivalent station (i.e., the station with the guide data you want).

The above might be more complicated than need be: it should be possible to just modify the Station for each existing QAM channel (created during the channel scan) to point to a StationTMS with guide data instead of pointing to an Orphan station (also created during the scan). However, my original approach involved automatically recreating the QAM channels when LineupUpdate rubbished them, and isolating them into their own source made that a little easier. With the patches, recreating the channels is probably not necessary.

All I did was munge the Channel object to change the Number attribute to the one corresponding to my QAM channels. After running your script, do you have two channels for "103-5", one with guide data that tunes the analog SD feed and one without guide data that tunes the QAM feed? From looking at your script, that's what I would expect.

You didn't state how many SignalSources with guide data the box has, but your script runs through them all. Judging upon the channel numbering in your script I assumed you have guide data for just analog cable (and then you did a digital channel scan to detect the QAM)? Guide data for ATSC includes whether the program is HiDef or not, which is nice.

jt1134
06-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I created a new SignalSource in /Setup and then created channels for the QAM feeds. When creating those channels, I set the Station to point to the ATSC or Cable equivalent station (i.e., the station with the guide data you want).
OK cool. That was how I started out, but I guess I missed something. I could get everything to show up except the guide data. Changing the channel number was simple and worked, so I just left it alone.

After running your script, do you have two channels for "103-5", one with guide data that tunes the analog SD feed and one without guide data that tunes the QAM feed? From looking at your script, that's what I would expect.
There were 2 channels, one with guide data and the other just "??? - TBA". They both tuned to the QAM channel. I just nuked the duplicates through the channel list in the UI and they were gone though.

Judging upon the channel numbering in your script I assumed you have guide data for just analog cable (and then you did a digital channel scan to detect the QAM)?
Correct. I did a channel scan, and then set up a dummy recording on each QAM channel to see how the channel number was represented in mfs.

Guide data for ATSC includes whether the program is HiDef or not, which is nice.
Never even thought of that, thanks for the tip!

tivo4mevo
06-19-2008, 03:07 PM
OK cool. That was how I started out, but I guess I missed something. I could get everything to show up except the guide data. Changing the channel number was simple and worked, so I just left it alone.I think a reboot (or perhaps indexing) was required before the program info would show in the guide.

There were 2 channels, one with guide data and the other just "??? - TBA". They both tuned to the QAM channel. I just nuked the duplicates through the channel list in the UI and they were gone though.Bizarre, I would have expected the one with guide data to be analog and not QAM. If they are both QAM, it might be worth removing the patches to see if they stick (as it might allow folks with unhacked boxes to map guide data to QAM channels).

jt1134
06-19-2008, 03:21 PM
I think a reboot (or perhaps indexing) was required before the program info would show in the guide.
I tried rebooting, never thought about indexing though. More to play with tonight I guess.

If they are both QAM, it might be worth removing the patches to see if they stick (as it might allow folks with unhacked boxes to map guide data to QAM channels).

I was thinking/hoping the same thing. I forced a call this morning with an unpatched tivoapp, and the guide info for my QAM channels was promptly removed. :(

toy4two
08-23-2008, 01:44 PM
thank you so much updating this script.

tivo4mevo
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
An update: creating a headend to match the QAM signal source lineup will prevent tivoapp from deleting the the channels during the daily call. I did a few proof of concept tests without the above patch and everything worked as expected (no QAM mapped channels were deleted and LineupUpdate actually created headend channels missing in the signal source).

Given that tivo doesn't check MFS for foreign objects, this method should work on completely unhacked units. Some testing probably needed to confirm.

ciper
12-03-2008, 06:37 AM
tivo4mevo: Are you asking for a forum member with an unpromed Tivo HD to test the script? I have a cable card but there are a couple channels with missing guide data.

adam1115
12-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Who is the users here, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6895103#post6895103 trying to sell this script?

If it's based on scripts other users have written has this user gotten permission to sell it?

toy4two
12-25-2008, 06:07 PM
the guy selling his QAM hack lacks features this one has, and this one is FREE (as in beer).

Anyone try this on a non-hacked box yet?

tivo4mevo
12-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I've received permission to post the attached map_qam.tcl script (below). If you appropriately modify the "userMapArray" on line 45 and then run this script, it will create a clear QAM lineup complete with guidedata (borrowed from your OTA stations).

Your tivo must be setup to receive both OTA as well as Cable (in order to receive the needed guidedata).

As I mentioned above, a valid Headend obviates the need for the LineupUpdate patches posted earlier in this thread, and because this script creates such a Headend, the Lineup will persist, even on an unhacked tivo.

You'll have no way to execute the script on your tivo if it's not hacked, so to get around this, you would need to remove the drive, appropriately hack it, boot it in another hacked tivo, run the script, remove the drive from the hacked tivo, remove the hacks from the drive, and then return it to the unhacked tivo. Those steps are not trivial, so this is probably beyond the reach of beginners.

ThaDude
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
(After a 5-year hiatus, I'm back on the forum with a shiny new Tivo HD!)

The first thing I noticed was that my channel guide from cable was incomplete and non-HD unless I upgrade to a CableCARD, which irritates me to no end. After whining to Tivo, I thought that surely a hack exists. And it appears to...sort of.

I looked at the script. I'm weak on coding, but it looks like this relies on mapping cable channels to the antenna channel guide which is great for OTA channels. But what about other basic channels I receive (like FX)? Is it possible to get guide data for these?

tivo4mevo
01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't entirely understand what you're trying to do, but if you wanted to map a given clear-QAM channel to guidedata from a non-OTA channel you could modify these values to draw from a different Provider (i.e., cable provider)

set usePgdFromProvider "{Over the Air Only}"
set usePgdFromLineup "Digital"The way the script is written you can't mix and match Providers, so if this is truly your intent, then I would recommend drawing all guidedata from your analog cable lineup.

ThaDude
01-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Gotcha. Yeah, that sounds right. Haven't hacked this box yet, so I'm still debating, but this would be my reason to do so!

T_RJ
02-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I ran the script and it worked, sort of.

Edit

see below

T_RJ
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Found a problem that I had created!
I inadvertantly copied the script to tvbin and it was running from there.
Fixed that!
Now I get an error "Failed to find and map all QAM channels. Aborting!"
I must have an error in my table I need to fix.

Edit

Fond my error!!
Fat fingered it!
Works just fine!!

Thanks much!

ciper
02-19-2009, 02:53 AM
tivo4mevo : Have you ever looked at the add-whole-channel.tcl script? Its a manual way to define channels and what input they are on
Syntax - add-whole-channel.tcl <Channel ID> <Channel Num> <ShortName> <LongName> <A/V ID>

It has been used by the OZTiVo members for many years with great success. I haven't looked at the code yet but it may be useful for improving your script :)
http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/Post_Setup#Manually_Adding_Channels

edit: Here is a copy. Be careful as this site has some evil pop ups on it! Use firefox with adblock plus http://sharebee.com/d545d35c

tivo4mevo
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks, ciper. I had come across those scripts as some point in the past, and collectively, they help explain some of the MFS structure for channels, lineups, and headends.

What type of improvements did you have in mind?

ciper
02-22-2009, 05:23 AM
What type of improvements did you have in mind?

I know I had a good idea at the time I replied to this,,, but at the moment it eludes me! LOL

However it would be great if this was web driven through TWP with the ability to allow lineup changes manually.

T_RJ
02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
QAM Mapped channels survived across the 11.0b.E2-01-2-652 update.

dravrah1
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Bump!

Is there anybody still working on a way to do QAM mapping without having to do the prom hack?

Thanks,

H

T_RJ
04-24-2010, 12:50 PM
tivo4mevo

Any chance you can revise your script to allow mapping guide from two different sources?
Comcast has moved many of its channel to digital clear qam, SYFY for eample.
But there is no guide data unless you use a cable card.

tivo4mevo
04-24-2010, 04:32 PM
There isn't anything that prevents you from doing this, but you'll need to modify the script.

The Provider and Lineup from which the mapped channels draw their guide data are set just after the userMapArray

set usePgdFromProvider "{Over the Air Only}"
set usePgdFromLineup "Digital"

Some possible approaches:

1) extend the script to accept an "append" option. Then you would run it once to "create" the Headend/SignalSource and map channels that source OTA guide data. Run a second time (after changing the Provider/Lineup) to "append" channels that source digital cable guide data.
2) extend the script to check the userMapArray specified channels against two different Provider/Lineups (OTA and digital cable).
3) alter the script to create a distinct Headend/SignalSource, and then run OTA against the first version of the script, and digital cable against the second version of the script (you would need to modify the name of the MFS Headend created "/HeadendTms/0000QAM" (appears in three places) and modify the ServerId's to prevent a conflict, which might be a bit tricky.

I'm not sure which method would be best.

T_RJ
04-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info.
I will play around and see if I can break my TiVo.
It has been running with out any hickups for too long!

Thinkdiff
07-13-2010, 04:45 PM
First, a big thanks to Anonymous and Tivo4mevo. Their script is excellent and works really well.

Just wanted to write-up my process of getting guide data for ClearQAM channels on my TiVo HD incase anybody else is in a similar situation.

My cable is provided by a University. Obviously, they're not big enough to do CableCARDs, so they have a bunch of HD channels on ClearQAM (locals, ESPN, TNT, etc). Surprisingly, TiVo actually provides all the guide data for these channels, but they all just tune to the SD version.. so I have:

4 - NBCDT
4 - NBCDT2
4 - NBCDT4
etc

Tivo4mevo's script didn't like this setup too much. Because it searches every channel in the "OTA" (cable) lineup, it would end up picking the FSID of the last channel (NBCDT4 in the example above) for QAM 4-1, 4-2, and 4-4.

To get around this, I dissected the script, modified it, and came up with one that works perfectly - with a bit of annoying manual labor.

You'll need to populate 2 arrays: userMapArray and stationFsidByChanArray as follows:

This array was originally used to map OTA to QAM. We're not using OTA here (the lookup code has been removed), so we just need unique numbers to replace the OTA numbers. I chose to use the QAM numbers without the hyphens.

array set userMapArray {
21 2-1
31 3-1
32 3-2
41 4-1
}

For stationFsidByChanArray, you need to use some method to find the Station FSIDs for the corresponding channel in your cable lineup. I used the MFS browser in TiVoWebPlus. Go to /Setup, pick your source (there should only be 2 or 3, look for the one that has SignalType 2 and an entry for Headend). There will be a large list of Channels (listed by their FSIDs). You'll have to click on each one and record the FSID listed under "Station" individually. You can be sure it's the right channel by checking the "Number" entry, or clicking on the Station FSID and it'll show you the call sign. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I only have about 20 HD channels, so it was faster to do it manually than to write a script.

Once you have a list of FSIDs corresponding to the channel numbers, you need to populate the array using the same unique numbers you used in userMapArray:

array set stationFsidByChanArray {
21 9242/-1
31 9528/-1
32 9133/-1
41 9335/-1
42 9336/-1
44 9369/-1
}

After you do those 2 things, you can just run the modified script and it should handle the rest. All of my QAM channels had callsigns and PSIP assigned channel numbers. I'm not sure what happens if yours don't.

As always, use at your own risk. This is only provided as a starting point. You'll need to do some work to make it function

If anybody can come up with a better way to find the FSIDs, please let me know. I'm thinking it'll have to be somewhat interactive and check the case I showed above (where "OTA" channel 4 corresponds to 4 different QAM channels), allowing the user to map the correct channel. (hrm... sounds like a TiVoWebPlus module might be a good idea.....)

This script would also allow for guide data from 2 sources, as you're setting the Station FSIDs manually (to whatever you want).

Dave20042004
01-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Text came out crazy.. see below

Dave20042004
01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Thinkdiff, nice job!
Sorry I could not space this out properly below so I attached the txt file that does:

I'm still a little unclear so let me walk through the logic.
I have 69 SD channels. I have an additional 49 digital/HD channels. Of the 49, I'd like to remap 7 of these so these get guide service. The others are junk or have no QAM clear equivalent. Data for my remapping is as follows. The Unique value is where I'm fuzzy.
Unique Freq Fsid
2 KTVI FOX 201 2-1 8097/-1
4 KMOV CBS 401 4-1 8129/-1
5 KSDK NBC 501 5-1 8154/-1
6 TBS TBS 601 109-1 8137/-1
9 KETC KETC 901 9-1 8132/-1
11 KPLR CW 1101 11-1 8099/-1
12 KDNL ABC 1201 30-1 8117/-1

Therefore the two arrays would be:

array set userMapArray {
201 2-1
401 4-1
501 5-1
601 109-1
901 9-1
1101 11-1
1201 30-1
}

array set stationFsidByChanArray {
201 8097/-1
401 8129/-1
501 8154/-1
601 8137/-1
901 8132/-1
1101 8099/-1
1201 8117/-1
}

I'm assuming I should make the Unique assignments something that that is not already a valid channel. I did not make 2-1 --> 21 since 21 is already a channel that I don't want to use. Also, is the ... necessary or does that signify that I need to add the rest of my Fsid's? Please comment.
Thanks,
Dave

Thinkdiff
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm assuming I should make the Unique assignments something that that is not already a valid channel. I did not make 2-1 --> 21 since 21 is already a channel that I don't want to use. Also, is the ... necessary or does that signify that I need to add the rest of my Fsid's? Please comment.
Thanks,
Dave

Hey Dave,

It's been awhile since I made the modified script, but from what I remember, the unique numbers (your 201, 401, etc) are simply to lineup the info from the two arrays. It does not matter if they match existing channel numbers, but your numbering will work fine.

As for the ..., yes. That's just to show that you need to add your own data. Remove the ... before running the script.

Dave20042004
01-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. Well I ran the script.
=============================================================
bash-2.02# ./map-qam-v1.tcl create
Searching Headends for OTA channels...

Searching scanned channels and mapping QAM channels...
Mapping QAM channel 4-1 to 4-1, KMOV-HD has PSIP assigned channel number
Mapping QAM channel 30-1 to 30-1, KDNL-DT has PSIP assigned channel number
Mapping QAM channel 2-1 to 2-1, KTVI-DT has PSIP assigned channel number
Mapping QAM channel 5-1 to 5-1, KSDK-DT has PSIP assigned channel number
Mapping QAM channel 11-1 to 11-1, CW11-DT has PSIP assigned channel number
Mapping QAM channel 9-1 to 9-1, {KETC HD} has PSIP assigned channel number
Mapping QAM channel 109-1 to 601

No QAM Headend found, creating one.
No QAM Signal Source found, creating one...

Done mapping QAM channels to use the guide data from OTA channels.
You'll need to reboot your machine for the channels to appear.
==============================================================

The first six worked great! However, the last one (TBS-HD) has guide data service on SD channel 6. I was expecting the last line to read:
"Mapping QAM channel 109-1 to 109-1". Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

Thinkdiff
01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Could you post the exact file you used after you modified it with your channel lists?

Dave20042004
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Sure. I kept the same name.

Dave20042004
01-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Thinkdiff,
Although 109-1 is TBS-HD, I only knew that by seeing the logo onscreen tuned to that channel on the Tivo. There was no name for this in the channel lineup.

Every other channel I mapped had a "*" in front of the name. For instance, 4.1 had "*KMOV-HD". Whereas 4 has "KMOV" (no "*"). These must be the PSIP's. 109-1 is blank.

So I take it, if there is no PSIP, it will map a channel. In this case it used the Unique value. But it would not remap it to Channel 6's guide data. Bummer.

This brings up another point. I have a channel 9-3 with a PSIP of "World". It is a PBS station that does not have an SD channel equivalent (no Fsid). Is there any way to make Tivo get the guide data for it so I can get the Fsid?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Thinkdiff
01-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Thinkdiff,
Although 109-1 is TBS-HD, I only knew that by seeing the logo onscreen tuned to that channel on the Tivo. There was no name for this in the channel lineup.

Every other channel I mapped had a "*" in front of the name. For instance, 4.1 had "*KMOV-HD". Whereas 4 has "KMOV" (no "*"). These must be the PSIP's. 109-1 is blank.

So I take it, if there is no PSIP, it will map a channel. In this case it used the Unique value. But it would not remap it to Channel 6's guide data. Bummer.

This brings up another point. I have a channel 9-3 with a PSIP of "World". It is a PBS station that does not have an SD channel equivalent (no Fsid). Is there any way to make Tivo get the guide data for it so I can get the Fsid?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Ah, that makes sense. I suppose my version of the script relies on there being existing PSIP data. If you wanted to get TBS working the right way, you'd have to look at the original script and see how it creates and inserts PSIP data for channels that do not have it.

As for a channel with no SD equivalent, no.. you won't be able to get guide data for a channel TiVo's servers doesn't already give you.

Dave20042004
12-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I've received permission to post the attached map_qam.tcl script (below). If you appropriately modify the "userMapArray" on line 45 and then run this script, it will create a clear QAM lineup complete with guidedata (borrowed from your OTA stations).

Your tivo must be setup to receive both OTA as well as Cable (in order to receive the needed guidedata).

As I mentioned above, a valid Headend obviates the need for the LineupUpdate patches posted earlier in this thread, and because this script creates such a Headend, the Lineup will persist, even on an unhacked tivo.

You'll have no way to execute the script on your tivo if it's not hacked, so to get around this, you would need to remove the drive, appropriately hack it, boot it in another hacked tivo, run the script, remove the drive from the hacked tivo, remove the hacks from the drive, and then return it to the unhacked tivo. Those steps are not trivial, so this is probably beyond the reach of beginners.

I now have two TiVoHD's. One is Prom modded and the other is not. I've never used a cablecard but I have created guide data for clear QAM channels on Cable borrowed from the SD equivalent on said Cable. (See earlier post) This has been in place for almost a year without a problem.

Now, I'd like to get a clear QAM lineup on my unhacked Tivo. Probably using OTA guide this time. If it doesn't work, I'll employ Omikron again but it appears from above that I should be able to pull this off.

So from tivo4mevo's post:
1. Remove drive, appropriately hack it. (OK, I think I could do this again, Not interested in anything but clear QAM, how minimalistic can I go to just get BASH?)
2. Boot in another hacked tivo. (Can do.. but I remember reading that a "Clear & Delete Everything" would be required since the drive was not from the same TiVo. Not true?)
3. Run the script, remove the drive from the hacked Tivo. (OK, if 2 went OK, I will have BASH, so I could do)
4. Remove the hacks from the drive. (Oh....now there it is. Only way I've ever done that is CDE. I know that would kinda defeat the purpose here. If someone is kind enough to answer#1, I might could do)
5. Return drive to unhacked Tivo

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Not overly talented but surely not a beginner either,
Dave

Thinkdiff
01-11-2012, 02:50 AM
For Number 2, the freshly hacked drive will boot in the PROM'd TiVo just fine. You'll get annoying Error 51 messages and won't be able to do some things such as make new recordings - that's why a Clear and Delete (or 51killer.tcl) is normally required. But you'll be returning the drive to it's original TiVo, so that's not an issue.

As you said, run the script, make sure everything is lining up as expected, then properly remove the hacks (if you modify iptables as part of your hack, make sure you put the original one back!). The changes made in the MFS should remain after moving back to the unhacked TiVo.

It would also be wise to make a WinMFS backup of the unhacked drive, just in case.

Edit: Just realized this was almost a month ago. Hope everything worked out - let us know how it went!

Dave20042004
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the reply! I was getting pretty lonely on this thread.

So I was successful with the procedure above. Lots of trial and error which was fun. I documented the final procedure and plan to attach it after I clean it up some. Anyway, this time I decided to use OTA guide data for channel remapping to clear QAM Cable channels since I happily found OTA guide data for my favorite channel PBS - The World on 9-3. Same cable channel designation.

So someone later can learn from my mistakes I'll recap.

1. You must make sure that all the QAM channels you want to map to are already available in your channel lineup. It's obvious to me now but I was restoring a backup to the drive to save time after some failed attempts so I could reboot in the unhacked box and forgot to rescan channels. Then, you get an error ...unable to find QAM channels. I finally wised up and made a backup of the Cable/OTA combination.

2. I ended up using LRHorer's guide (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?53492-Overview-of-Hacking-an-S3/page3) since I have a Linux system although I didn't use his script. I wanted to know exactly what was modified so I could go back and take it out. I used the alternate partition to hold the unhacked kernel. I also copied the root partition to its alternate partition but I never tried to revert the hacks by overwriting the root that way. I wasn't sure if the QAM head-end is stored in the root partition or not. I'm still fuzzy on the terminology. I'll say it then someone can correct me: The Head-end is in mfs located in the large partitions past the var partition 9.

3. So, I have "more" but some "different" channels between my hacked and unhacked boxes. Remember my hacked box used Thinkdiff's remapping of cable SD channels to clear QAM equivalents. So for my unhacked box I am missing TBS in HD since that is not available OTA. I tried to run the cable remapping script after the OTA one but it said that a QAM head end already exists. For just one channel I can let that go for now. I reread the posts above and see that Tivo4mevo is patiently explaining several approaches but ended his comments with the words "a bit tricky". I'd love to dissect the script but I'm simply not that good. Saying that, I think it would be so cool to have a new script that allowed both. I'd definitively contribute. I've never owned a cable box and all my clear QAM HD channels are delivered as part of the basic cable package. Sweet.

tivo4mevo
01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
It's been a long time since I've looked at this, but the third approach I postulated:
3) alter the script to create a distinct Headend/SignalSource, and then run OTA against the first version of the script, and digital cable against the second version of the script (you would need to modify the name of the MFS Headend created "/HeadendTms/0000QAM" (appears in three places) and modify the ServerId's to prevent a conflict, which might be a bit tricky. was something of a hack.

But essentially, you modify the script enough to have multiple QAM-mapped headends coexist peacefully.

Giving it a brief review, you would change "/HeadendTms/0000QAM" to "/HeadendTms/0001QAM" (a find and replace should find the three places).

The ServerId (which is assigned by Tivo) of the MFS objects is another thing that needs to be unique. They need to be unique from each other, but also not conflict with a real ServerId sent by tivo. In the script, you can see on lines 222 and 236, that the DBS and VOOM (now defunct) ServerId are used. This Headend ServerId was a safe choice by the author, as it wouldn't be expected to conflict with any other Headends (as presumably with VOOM out of business, tivo shouldn't be instructing units to create a VOOM headend). I'm guessing you could probably just increment the Headend ServerId from 24109384 to 24109385, but I don't know if that incremented ServerId might actually correspond to some provider (e.g., Comcast in the greater Phoenix area) and clash if someone setup for that provider tried to run the script.

I don't think the postal code ServerId matters, but as I said, it's been a long time since I've looked at this.

So long as you have a backup, you can change the script (as described above), and run it to create a second QAM-headend for another set of channels (sounds like just one channel).

Reflecting on this, I think I realized that a tivoweb module that allowed one to manually poke through the channels and (re)map them would have been the best approach.

Dave20042004
01-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks tivo4mevo!, I'll give it a shot.

Just a question about the location of the HeadEnd. Would I have been successful in removing all the hacks by simply restoring a backup of the prehacked root drive? Or would the Headend have been over written?

tivo4mevo
01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Though slightly off topic, you're correct. You can easily "unhack" a drive in the manner you describe: first making an image of the active root partition (/dev/hda4|7) prior to hacking, hacking the partition, and the overwriting the hacked partition with the image.

The Headend and all other MFS objects live in the MFS application or media partitions (partitions 10-13), so reverting your root partition shouldn't normally have any effect on MFS or the objects in it. That said, there are some hacks that manipulate MFS objects in a way that a stock/unhacked tivo wouldn't like or care for them (like this: link (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?61061-Updated-51Killer-for-8-x-Software-%28S2-amp-S3%29)), but in general what you're doing (quick transfer to create a few new MFS objects) is fine.

cj47
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Where can I find step by step instructions on how to do all of this? The stupidy of TiVo and their lame excuse of changing physical channel numbers and not providing channel editing capabilities for the Guide is ridiculous.
I'm not familiar with Linux.

Dave20042004
02-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Where can I find step by step instructions on how to do all of this? .....I'm not familiar with Linux.

If you have a Series 3 I would suggest getting your board prommed first. While a prommed board is not technically required to using channel remapping, it IS required to run the remapping script (or any TiVo software modifications for that matter). As an example, if you had two TiVoHD's and one was prommed, you could use the prommed board to modify the software (i.e. remap the channels) on the non-prommed machine's hard drive. Not just theory...it worked for me.. I've never had a cable card and have enjoyed high def for years.:D