PDA

View Full Version : 9.3 Experimental Rollout

Omikron
04-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TiVo has begun rolling out 9.3.Y3 on select boxes. Full rollout is probably a few weeks away.

TiVo Series3 tivoapp 9.3.Y3-01-2-648

VMA/HEX

0x07344C4/0x03344C4 00008021 24100001 // Backdoors
0x05A9B54/0x01A9B54 104000AA 100000AA // No Encryption

wblynch
04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Can you give us a field report of the observable changes?

-----
Just realized I've been a member for 6 years and this is my first post!

captain_video
04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Do you know if the kernel version is changing with 9.3? I'd be curious as to whether I could simply copy over the existing patched kernel instead of doing it from scratch.

ciper
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Just a note, the priority page for signing up to receive this update will only accept TSN from series 2 units.

http://research.tivo.com/93priority/index.htm

Omikron
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Well, I can tell you that there are some little things here and there that I've noticed:

- Amazon Unbox playback can now be started before download is complete.
- Small changes to the font here and there.
- I found a new [to me] log viewer in backdoor menus that is simply awesome. You can cycle through the various logs with ease and scroll through them. Useless for most, but I've already used it several times.

The biggest change, however, is the SPEED!

It's fast! Very fast!

With this latest update I feel that the Series3 has almost hit the holy grail of UI responsiveness. I say almost because the UI still has it's hiccups here and there, but it's quite a difference over 9.2a. I can only imagine how much this will help those slower platforms out there such as the TiVo HD and Series2 boxes.

As far as the kernel goes, I couldn't tell you. I keep replace_initrd on the box at all times so anytime there is a new update I do a manual upgrade and kill myself a new kernel.

jt1134
04-06-2008, 03:54 AM
Anyone received 9.3 on a TivoHD yet?

psxboy
04-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Anyone received 9.3 on a TivoHD yet?

I got 9.3.Y3 on my TivoHD a day before Omikron posted the tivoapp patches. I can report basically the same experience that Omikron had on his Series3.

P.S. lol! Looks like they renamed "myworld" to "swedishChef". Bork! Bork! Bork! (Let's hope that doesn't mean Tivo's software engineers think this release is "borked".) ;)

-psxboy

Omikron
04-07-2008, 10:19 AM
P.S. lol! Looks like they renamed "myworld" to "swedishChef". Bork! Bork! Bork! (Let's hope that doesn't mean Tivo's software engineers think this release is "borked".) ;)

-psxboy

I did notice that, and loved it. ;-)

psxboy
04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
FYI, tivoapp in version 9.3a.A1-01-2-652 appears to be identical to the one in 9.3.Y3, so the patch locations in the first post are still applicable.

-psxboy

Soapm
04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
FYI, tivoapp in version 9.3a.A1-01-2-652 appears to be identical to the one in 9.3.Y3, so the patch locations in the first post are still applicable.

-psxboy

What's the deal with the 9.3a version? What models is it for?
What does it take to get it? I have 9.3 but I don't pull this version. Did it fix anything?

Omikron
04-13-2008, 01:52 PM
What's the deal with the 9.3a version? What models is it for?
What does it take to get it? I have 9.3 but I don't pull this version. Did it fix anything?

All questions we don't have answers to. If I was more motivated I might run diff between all of the old files and the new ones.

FreydNot
04-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Has anyone found a Disable Yellow Star Promos patch for 9.3?

Omikron
04-17-2008, 04:35 AM
Final rollout of 9.3a has begun. I don't have it yet, but a few people on TCF have received it.

Jamie
04-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Final rollout of 9.3a has begun. I don't have it yet, but a few people on TCF have received it.9.3 (s2) and 9.3a (s3/thd) have identical tivoapp files. So tivoapp patches are the same for both these software versions.

In fact, the entire contents of the GZcore slice is identical, save the /etc/buildversion file. Whatever tweaking they did to 9.3 to produce 9.3a s3/thd for the S3 must have been in the kernel, hpk or swsystem slices.

robert meyer
04-19-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm guessing I'm not the first one to get burnt by this. :eek:

I've been humming along happily-hacked for about 5 months
now (thanks to all the posters here and Omikron's excellent
prom socketing work). today I tried to telnet in (to perform
my weekly rubbishing of those #@%$%! yellow star ads),
and found myself locked out of my own tivo.

is this a matter of telling the machine to boot from the
other partition? (using bootpage, I think?)

or am I in some really deep doo-doo here?

thanks in advance all.

oscar.

ScanMan
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm guessing I'm not the first one to get burnt by this. :eek:<snip>
today I tried to telnet in (to perform
my weekly rubbishing of those #@%$%! yellow star ads),
and found myself locked out of my own tivo.

is this a matter of telling the machine to boot from the
other partition? (using bootpage, I think?)
The only way you might pull this off without pulling your drive would be if you have a serial cable/connection setup and you reset the factory assigned random password for your PROM menu. Then you could access the PROM menu and possibly boot successfully from the alternate partition (depending on the nature of changes the s/w upgrade made to the MFS database) and fix this in-place.

Barring that, unfortunately, you'll have to pull your drive and re-hack. This time make sure you put "upgradesoftware=false" into your bootpage string so that tivo won't automatically apply the s/w upgrade next time and erase your hacked kernel and settings.

robert meyer
04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
ScanMan:

thanks for your quick response.

I never got around to making the serial cable, so I'm
looking at "plan B".

when you say "re-hack", do you mean I'll need to replicate
all the steps from the beginning (replacing the kernel, etc.),
or will I be able to just boot from the partition that I hacked
previously?

I was under the impression that the tivo upgrade process
switches to the opposite partition sets, keeping the previous
ones intact as a backup...perhaps I'm wrong about this?

thanks.
oscar.

ScanMan
04-20-2008, 06:46 PM
I never got around to making the serial cable, so I'm looking at "plan B".

when you say "re-hack", do you mean I'll need to replicate
all the steps from the beginning (replacing the kernel, etc.),
or will I be able to just boot from the partition that I hacked
previously?

I was under the impression that the tivo upgrade process
switches to the opposite partition sets, keeping the previous
ones intact as a backup...perhaps I'm wrong about this?
You're right about tivo having active/alternate partition sets. The problem is you can't tell tivo to boot from the alternate or change the boot order because you can't access the PROM menu or get a bash shell via telnet or serial. So you have to pull your drive.

Once you have the drive connected to your PC, yes you could then modify the bootpage command to boot from the alternate set but then what? You already received the software update right? So you still have to transfer the hacked kernel plus any custom startup scripts (rc.sysinit.author) and any other files (i.e., "re-hack") to the new boot/root and then reset the bootpage so you're all in sync. So IMO, you might as well just "re-hack" while the drive is connected to the PC in the first place.

You can't just boot the alternate and "do" the upgrade again. The upgrade is already resident in the MFS database - your tivo won't apply it again. Although it might work, running the root filesystem from the alternate partition on older s/w while MFS, /etc/fstab, etc. are out of sync, is probably not a good idea long-term and will most likely screw up the next software upgrade tivo sends.

lrhorer
04-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Hmm.

Omikron (or anyone else),

Did you say your TiVoWebPlus is working? I just allowed the 9.3 upgrade to go and put back my hacks. Everything seems to be working, except for TiVoWebPlus. When I try to bring up TWP, I get the following error:

-------INTERNAL SERVER ERROR------ --cut here--NONE
invalid command name "url_decode"
while executing
"url_decode $path"
(procedure "doSession" line 67)
invoked from: "doSession $chan $addr $port"
--cut here--

I tried re-installing from the .tar file, but still get the same error.

Omikron
04-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Hmm.

Omikron (or anyone else),

Did you say your TiVoWebPlus is working? I just allowed the 9.3 upgrade to go and put back my hacks. Everything seems to be working, except for TiVoWebPlus. When I try to bring up TWP, I get the following error:

-------INTERNAL SERVER ERROR------ --cut here--NONE
invalid command name "url_decode"
while executing
"url_decode $path"
(procedure "doSession" line 67)
invoked from: "doSession $chan $addr $port"
--cut here--

I tried re-installing from the .tar file, but still get the same error.

TWP has been working flawlessly. Have you tried removing the config files and letting TWP regenerate them?

robert meyer
04-24-2008, 05:17 PM
You can't just boot the alternate and "do" the upgrade again. The upgrade is already resident in the MFS database - your tivo won't apply it again. Although it might work, running the root filesystem from the alternate partition on older s/w while MFS, /etc/fstab, etc. are out of sync, is probably not a good idea long-term and will most likely screw up the next software upgrade tivo sends.

ohhhhhh...ok; I see your point.

looks like I have a project for this weekend!

thank you again for taking time to respond.

lrhorer
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
TWP has been working flawlessly. Have you tried removing the config files and letting TWP regenerate them?
I tried that before posting (actually, I wiped the directories clean and re-installed TWP from the tarball). Oddly enough, howeverr, when I went back a couple of days later to look into the issue, TWP was working. I have no idea what happened. There were a couple of reboots during the interim period, but other than that, I didn't touch a thing.