PDA

View Full Version : UPGRADESOFTWARE flag being ignored!?

Omikron
04-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Today marks the FOURTH time I have seen a TiVo update ignore the "upgradesoftware" flag. I always set upgradesoftware=false on all of the TiVo's that I have and I yesterday I noticed that two of my TiVo's automatically installed new software even though the flag was set in the bootpage.

Has anyone else been seeing this behavior?

This latest upgrade took me from 9.3.Y3 to 9.3al.A1.

mr_zorg
04-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Well, that's one way to put a damper on the hacking community. :( Looks like it may be time to come up with a more sophisticated anti-upgrade technique.

Omikron
04-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I should also say that in each instance the "upgradesoftware" flag has been REMOVED from the bootpage.

mrpenguin
04-11-2008, 11:33 PM
could you edit the installSW.tcl script ahead of time to prevent the reboot, or just EXIT right after the start?

or, modify the sha command to move the downloaded file so it cannot be run. the connection will fail, but at least it gives you a chance to back up your stuff and perform the upgrade yourself.

Jamie
04-12-2008, 01:18 AM
It sounds to me like a stock uncompromised kernel was booted. That will clear disallowed options from the bootpage.

Omikron
04-12-2008, 03:34 AM
It sounds to me like a stock uncompromised kernel was booted. That will clear disallowed options from the bootpage.

If a stock kernel was booted, then it was done so without my doing or permission. All of the instances that I have observed have been on boxes with all hacks running as normal.

mrpenguin
04-12-2008, 08:00 AM
wouldnt an uncompromized kernel kill all unsigned files from / ? so if kernel was uncompromized, you'd know right away?

Omikron
04-12-2008, 09:17 AM
wouldnt an uncompromized kernel kill all unsigned files from / ? so if kernel was uncompromized, you'd know right away?

I would think so. I was able to use the serial port and PROM menu to boot the alternate partition and found that all of my old hacks were still there. I ended up just copying over the hacks and got things working again...

...now that I'm thinking about it, I just realized that after I copied over the hacks I don't remember hacking the kernel on the new software! I'm leaving for work now but I'll look into it more when I get back and see what's going on.

Jamie
04-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Yes, you know right away -- as he did.

All I'm saying it that it is completely normal for upgradesoftware=false to be removed from the bootpage if for some reason a software upgrade is taken. The first time the uncompromised kernel is booted, that's what the initrd is going to do.

You don't have to set upgradesoftware=false in your bootpage. You can set it in your pre-rc.sysinit script. Anything that runs before StageE should work. It's just an environment variable.

Several possibilities:

User error: for example, upgradesoftware=false was mistyped or left out, or the bootpage was in an inconsistent state (e.g. boot from partition 3 with partition 7 as the root).
a runme script (scripts downloaded from tivo that are run on your box) removed it from the bootpage,
the startup scripts (e.g. StageE CheckForSoftwareUpgrade) have been changed to not honor the flag anymore.
they changed software installation to upgrade directly without a reboot first.
In the past when this has happened to me, it has always been 1. It's particularly easy to mess up the boot page if you are in the habit of changing it from the PROM menu. If it's one of the others, it's probably not hard to block, but we need the hard evidence. e.g the changed startup script, the runme script, etc.

psxboy
04-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I've been pre-occupied all week & didn't realize that my TivoHD was waiting to upgrade to 9.3a.A1-01-2-652 until today. But it IS waiting... I've never experienced a situation where the upgradesoftware=false parameter was ignored.

mr_zorg
04-12-2008, 04:06 PM
...now that I'm thinking about it, I just realized that after I copied over the hacks I don't remember hacking the kernel on the new software! I'm leaving for work now but I'll look into it more when I get back and see what's going on.
Oops. That would do it...

lrhorer
04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm lost. If he didn't hack the new Kernel, I don't see how he could have gotten everything working.

Omikron
04-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm lost. If he didn't hack the new Kernel, I don't see how he could have gotten everything working.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to follow up on this.

At this point I'm guessing I somehow did something that removed the "upgradesoftware=false" flag from the bootpage, and the update was installed.

To restore my hacks I connected to it via serial console and boot to the alternate partition via the PROM menu. Once there, I moved all the hacks over and rebooted.

What I later realized is that I never re-hacked the new kernel so in theory the hacks should have been erased. Further investigation revealed that while the boot partition was changed by the installer, I was still booting the old hacked kernel.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that it was all my doing somehow and just a fluke. I'm sorry for the confusion. ;-)

lrhorer
04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Are you saying you moved the old kernel without really realizing it? If not, then how are you booting the old kernel with the new software?

Omikron
04-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Are you saying you moved the old kernel without really realizing it? If not, then how are you booting the old kernel with the new software?

I'm saying that the software was somehow installed automatically BUT it only flipped the root partition and not the kernel. Instead of switching from hda6/7 to hda3/4 it switched to hda6/4. Do you see what I mean?

captain_video
04-21-2008, 07:27 AM
With my S3's I don't recall ever setting the bootpage to prevent an update. I just pull the drive, make a backup of the unhacked OS image, and rehack the kernel. Then, I simply copy over the tivo-bin directory, the iptables file, and the rc.sysinit.author files over to the new active partition along with any miscellaneous hacks I may have installed. Once I've got the drive back in the Tivo and it's up and running I telnet over and patch the tivoapp file, but only after backing it up first. Both my S3's took the 9.3a showed Pending restart Thursday night so I rebooted the unhacked unit and it showed the updated version. I was off Friday so I let the hacked unit update naturally on its own and then rehacked it when I got up the next morning.

lrhorer
04-30-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm saying that the software was somehow installed automatically BUT it only flipped the root partition and not the kernel. Instead of switching from hda6/7 to hda3/4 it switched to hda6/4. Do you see what I mean?
Ah, yes, I see now. That seems really weird, though.