PDA

View Full Version : recording from Tivo to PC using VCR and video capture

elena
04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how to download Tivo recordings by "Save to VCR" to my PC using a video capture card? Most of the programs I have recorded are copy protected and won't download using Tivo To Go (even though I have paid for HBO). I read somewhere that saving to VCR will work. I am seldom home to watch the shows on TV playback, so I need to figure this out. I have Slingbox but it requires a fairly high speed connection to broadcast the signal smoothly:confused:.

ciper
04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
What type of Tivo is it?

elena
04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
It is a Tivo HD.

captain_video
04-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Are you doing this because you are running out of space on the Tivo hard drive or are you simply looking for a method to archive your shows? If space is an issue then that's easily solved by getting a larger hard drive. If you want a way to archive your recordings then consider getting your EEPROM modded by Omikron (check the thread in the For Sale section) and hack the Tivo for video extraction (check the S3 Tivo sections). Transfers are way faster than using Tivo To Go and you shouldn't run into the copy protection issue AFAIK.

elena
04-22-2008, 05:32 PM
I want to archive shows. I'm trying a workaround because my Humax dvr/dvd started malfunctioning. I bought a Tivo HD, but it doesn't record to dvd. I live part-time in Mexico where the internet signal is unstable, so Slingbox doesn't help. The best way to watch programs was to save to dvd and bring them down. I never had the copy protection problem before.
I've been wondering if I can use the dvd recorder on the Humax unit by connecting the Tivo HD to the front (vcr or videocamera) input of the Humax and uploading programs to the now playing list, then recording to dvd. I'm not a hacker, I just want to reproduce the capabilities I used to appreciate when the Humax was working. Transfers to dvd were quick and easy. I thought I was upgrading when I bought the HD, but NOT!

ciper
04-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Why not use the new version of PyTivo to extract the shows? It will get anything with CCI=0.

elena
04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks! I'll take a look.

elena
04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
OK, I did some reading about pyTivo and downloaded it to my computer. Now I need "pyTivo for Dummies". I opened the console and have a window on my screen tellying me that pyTivo is ready. And a cursor prompt. I don't know what to do next.
Can anyone direct me to a user guide or step by step instructions that involve no programming? I would be classified as "not even a Newbie" when it comes to doing anything other than simply using my computer.

Jamie
04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Why not use the new version of PyTivo to extract the shows? It will get anything with CCI=0.Based on the original post, I don't think it is the CCI=0x00 recordings that are the issue here. Unless I am missing something, PyTiVo allows you to transfer exactly the same recordings you can transfer with TiVoDesktop/TTG.

elena
04-23-2008, 07:28 PM
So, I think what I need to do is travel back in time, dust off my vcr and use it. Seems like the only practical solution.
I've considered having my old Humax dvr/dvd recorder fixed but from what I've read as soon as I plug it in and reconnect to Tivo, the new software will download from Tivo and it won't record HBO anymore.
If the vcr works, even if it's primitive, I'll live with it. Otherwise I might as well cancel HBO and be done with it.

captain_video
04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
You could also get a set top DVD recorder and connect it directly to the output of your Tivo. It will basically do the same thing as your video capture card but with fewer steps involved. You'll get some minor degradation but nowhere near as bad as with a VCR. I don't klnow how this will work with any copy protected material since I've been fortunate enough never to have the need to deal with it.

ciper
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
PyTiVo allows you to transfer exactly the same recordings you can transfer with TiVoDesktop/TTG.

That is true. I was simplifying it

Can anyone direct me to a user guide or step by step instructions that involve no programming? I would be classified as "not even a Newbie" when it comes to doing anything other than simply using my computer.

Why not check on the PyTivo forums and Wiki?

elena
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Since the dvd recorder still works on my Humax dvr/dvd recorder, can I connect it to the new Tivo HD as if it were a vcr and use it to record to dvd? If so, do you think it would be possible to get more than one program on a disc the way it functioned before? I am not sure how to connect it, but I'd like to give that a try before buying a set top dvd recorder. suggestions? Has anyone tried this?