PDA

View Full Version : Trying to copy a TIVO burnt DVD

weaponx88
05-15-2008, 05:05 PM
I have a Humax DRT800 that has the DVD burner in it and it makes great DVDs of shows I have recorded.
I am trying to make a copy of one of these DVDs but it doesn't work.
Either it only copies the menu or it locks up when you click the actual show you want to see from the menu.
It only is of cooking shows......and each DVD has 8 episodes.

Does anybody know why this won't copy correctly?
I am assuming that TIVO encrypts the actual show and it just seems plain silly why I can not make a copy of one of the DVDs that will play on any DVD player.

Any advice would help.......

jt1134
05-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Does anybody know why this won't copy correctly?

I'd give you some advice, but I don't know how you're doing anything. What program/method are you using to copy the dvd? There's tons of freeware dvd copying aps out there, and tons of information at the doom9.org forums.

weaponx88
05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks so much for the reply.

I am currently using 1click DVD copy and or DVD Cloner (I think my current version is 4).

1Click DVD Copy only copies the TIVO menu
DVD Cloner seems to take the time needed to copy a DVD (about an hour, give or take) but that one shows the menu but errors I click the show episode I want to see.

The DVD de-crypter I am using is DVD43 (latest version)

I hope this is enough info.......Thanks again.

captain_video
05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Are you trying to do a disc to disc copy or are you ripping the DVD to your hard drive first? If you're trying a direct copy then that may be your problem. I'm not familiar with the Tivo/DVD combo units so I have no idea what structure they use when burning DVDs, although I'm pretty sure it has to be the standard DVD file structure or they won't play back in another machine. I just don't know if the DVDs are encrypted or not.

Try ripping the DVD to your hard drive first and then burn it using Nero or other burning program. If the DVDs aren't encrypted then you should be able to simply copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive and then burn the disc. After ripping the DVD to your hard drive, try playing it back on your PC using an appropriate codec like Zoomplayer, TheaterTek DVD, PowerDVD, etc. If it plays OK then you should be able to burn it to a new disc with no problems. If playback on your PC is problematic then it could be that the files aren't being copied over correctly. Try a different ripping program like DVDFab Decryptor HD (free from dvdidle.com) and see if that does the trick. You'll need to disable DVD43 before using another ripping program or you may run into conflicts.

weaponx88
05-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah...that is what I am trying to do......I am trying to COPY DVDs that I have made using a TIVO DVR/DVD Burner.
The DVR comes with a DVD Burner.......so the shows I record I burn to DVD rather then delete to make room on the TIVO Hard Drive.

The burnt DVDs have a "TIVO like" menu listing the 8 episodes and it includes the TIVO logo......very much like the TIVO Central page if you are familiar with TIVO. This leads me to believe that it has some type of TIVOs encryption that the standard de-crypter does not de-crypt since it isn't a regular Movie DVD.

I'll try ripping to my PC and then go from there.

Thanks for the advice.......

captain_video
05-19-2008, 08:27 AM
You might also want to try creating an iso image of the original DVD and then burning the image to your recordable disc. Make sure you burn it as an image and don't just drag and drop the iso file to the new compilation.

weaponx88
05-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I tried your earlier advise Cap' and it worked fine.
I went ahead and ripped it to my HD and then used Nero to make the DVD.

Thanks so much for your input......:)

psxboy
05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Just FYI, there's no way the Tivo-created DVDs can be encrypted. The only "encryption" available with video DVDs is CSS and that can't be implemented on DVD-R(W) because the keyblock is pre-burned or otherwise unavailable to prevent people from being able to make bit-for-bit copies of CSS-protected DVDs. (Not to mention the DVD CCA would probably never issue keys to a company that intended to implement CSS "encryption" in a consumer device.) And using any other scheme to encrypt the DVD would render it useless in standard players.

weaponx88
05-20-2008, 06:49 PM
......and that is why I was puzzled as to why I was not able to make a "direct copy" using my PC.
Perhaps "encryption" was not the word I should have used.......hmmmmmm :confused:

There is SOMETHING about a DVD created by a standalone TIVO with a DVD burner that does not allow you to do a "standard" copy of the DVD created with it.
See Humax DRT800 for the box I am referring to.