PDA

View Full Version : Lost my locals to a tree

djl
06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
My local channels disappeared this spring, due to a tree that grew out of control. Besides trimming the tree (not mine, unfortunately) what options do I have? I know I can use a regular antenna and put my tivo on standby, but this seems like a lousy solution.

Soapm
06-19-2008, 02:26 AM
I'd do a midnight cut on the tree... My $00.02

PlainBill
06-19-2008, 11:44 AM
My local channels disappeared this spring, due to a tree that grew out of control. Besides trimming the tree (not mine, unfortunately) what options do I have? I know I can use a regular antenna and put my tivo on standby, but this seems like a lousy solution.
Find a different spot for the dish.

PlainBill

djl
06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Obviously, I'll try to coordinate with my neighbor first. What would I need to do if I wanted to install an OTA antenna on the roof or dish? I thought I read that the signals can be combined; I assume that with a dtivo I'd lose the ability to record anything...

PlainBill
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Frankly, I don't think an OTA antenna would be a satisfactory solution. You are correct, recording of OTA channels would not be possible. By using diplexers you can avoid having to run an additional cable.

Frankly, your idea of coordinating the tree trimming with the neighbor is the best approach if moving the dish would not be possible.

PlainBill

HostV
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Frankly, your idea of coordinating the tree trimming with the neighbor is the best approach if moving the dish would not be possible.
And the quality of that will depend on the weather as well. I think that you need to remember about that as well. If you are going to use tree

Soapm
06-27-2008, 10:04 PM
You could put your dish in the neighbors tree...

PlainBill
06-27-2008, 10:13 PM
You could put your dish in the neighbors tree...

:rolleyes: Brilliant!!! Now all you have to do is keep the tree from moving when the wind blows....

PlainBill

djl
06-28-2008, 01:05 AM
Something odd happened yesterday - the locals showed up again. A few days after having a repair guy out, who said nothing could be done because of the angle through the branches. I've checked all the cable connections thoroughly - is there anything else that could become intermittent? I really don't think it's a matter of the tree blowing in just the right direction...

PlainBill
06-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Something odd happened yesterday - the locals showed up again. A few days after having a repair guy out, who said nothing could be done because of the angle through the branches. I've checked all the cable connections thoroughly - is there anything else that could become intermittent? I really don't think it's a matter of the tree blowing in just the right direction...

A little more information would be helpful. Which satellite carries your locals. What is the signal strength on your spot beam? What kind of receiver(s) do you have?

ANYTHING can be the cause. When DirecTV's installers upgraded me to the 5 lnb slimline dish everything worked well initially. A week later transponder 12 disappeared from all receivers - including the non-HD ones. The cause turned out to be the powered multiswitch.

PlainBill