PDA

View Full Version : Tivo and DirecTV in new agreement! New HD Tivo coming!!

jwciv
09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
There is a posting on dbstalk - - DirecTV and Tivo are getting back together and expect a new HD DVR in the latter half half of 2009.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=138443

"Under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVoŽ service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform. The product will support the latest TiVo and DIRECTV features and services, including TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. TiVo will develop the new HD DVR for an expected launch in the second half of 2009.

DIRECTV will continue to develop and offer its own portfolio of industry leading set top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers. This new TiVo box will be offered as an alternative choice to those DIRECTV customers who would like to add TiVo to a full line up of DIRECTV services."

alfonzotan
09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
there is a posting on dbstalk - - directv and tivo are getting back together and expect a new hd dvr in the latter half half of 2009.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=138443

"under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, directv and tivo will work together to develop a version of the tivoŽ service for directv's broadband-enabled hd dvr platform. The product will support the latest tivo and directv features and services, including tivo's universal swivel search and tivo kidzone. Tivo will develop the new hd dvr for an expected launch in the second half of 2009.

Directv will continue to develop and offer its own portfolio of industry leading set top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers. This new tivo box will be offered as an alternative choice to those directv customers who would like to add tivo to a full line up of directv services."

sweeeeeet.

captain_video
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
DirecTV announced that they will be renewing their agreement with Tivo and coming out with a new Tivo-based HD DVR in the 2nd half of 2009. I guess the folks in Hell are puttin' on their ice skates.:D There's a huge discussion at dbstalk with links to the press release. There are no particulars on the DVR at this time.

code10
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Very good news.:D

vurbano
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EL SEGUNDO and ALVISO, Calif., Sept. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- DIRECTV, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTV - News), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, and TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO - News), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), announced today that they have extended their current agreement, which includes the development, marketing and distribution of a new HD DIRECTV DVR featuring the TiVoŽ service, as well as the extension of mutual intellectual property arrangements.

Under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVoŽ service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform. The product will support the latest TiVo and DIRECTV features and services, including TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. TiVo will develop the new HD DVR for an expected launch in the second half of 2009.

DIRECTV will continue to develop and offer its own portfolio of industry leading set top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers. This new TiVo box will be offered as an alternative choice to those DIRECTV customers who would like to add TiVo to a full line up of DIRECTV services.

"We have had a very successful history with DIRECTV. Together we brought the TiVo experience to millions of DIRECTV customers and now we look forward to launching a next generation product that uses TiVo's latest features to truly showcase DIRECTV's broad selection of high-definition programming -- all stitched together with the elegance of TiVo's renowned user experience," said Tom Rogers, TiVo's CEO and president. "This agreement demonstrates our continued embrace of mass distribution opportunities in cooperation with major multichannel operators who recognize the value of giving their customers a choice of compelling user experiences."

Like prior products developed by TiVo and DIRECTV, the new HD offering will be marketed and sold by DIRECTV nationally to its entire customer base as part of its growing portfolio of brand name video offerings. Specific consumer pricing and packaging will be announced in conjunction with DIRECTV's launch of the product.

"As the industry's content and technology leader, DIRECTV has a long-standing reputation for developing innovative, advanced products and services, including our highly successful series of DVRs and HD DVRs," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "We will continue to work with TiVo and make this new product available to all new and existing DIRECTV customers who may want to add TiVo on top of our industry leading experience."

DIRECTV and TiVo began their relationship in 2000 with the launch of the first DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service. In April 2006, the companies announced an extension of their commercial and advertising relationship and those commercial and advertising capabilities are further extended, and now include the new HD platform. DIRECTV and TiVo also recently deployed a software update to existing DIRECTV with TiVo boxes, which enables new features like DIRECTV's Remote Booking.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

vurbano
09-03-2008, 06:41 PM
great news!!!!!!!!

stevel
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Word is that this will be similar to the Comcast TiVo - TiVo software on current DirecTV hardware. It sounds promising but I want to see more info. Luckily there will be plenty of time for that!

blueman2
09-03-2008, 11:36 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080903/tc_nm/tivo_directv_dc_2

This is great news! No word yet when the new HDTivo for DirecTV will be coming, though.

blueman2
09-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Word is that this will be similar to the Comcast TiVo - TiVo software on current DirecTV hardware. It sounds promising but I want to see more info. Luckily there will be plenty of time for that!

If this is true, then this is a non-announcement. The Comcast DVR running Tivo software is a complete pig. Worst DVR out there in terms of performance. Completely useless.

PlainBill
09-04-2008, 12:04 AM
If this is true, then this is a non-announcement. The Comcast DVR running Tivo software is a complete pig. Worst DVR out there in terms of performance. Completely useless.

Don't be such a pessimist. My HR20 has very good performance; almost as fast as my SD DirecTiVos. The main thing I miss is the absence of dual live buffers.

PlainBill

captain_video
09-04-2008, 07:20 AM

There are no facts to back that up. The only thing mentioned in this regard has been nothing but pure speculation. Neither Tivo or DirecTV have announced any of the details other than the initial press release.

OvitivO
09-04-2008, 12:40 PM

EL SEGUNDO and ALVISO, Calif. — Sept. 3, 2008 — DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTV), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, and TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), announced today that they have extended their current agreement, which includes the development, marketing and distribution of a new HD DIRECTV DVR featuring the TiVo Service, as well as the extension of mutual intellectual property arrangements.

Under the terms of the non--exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVoŽ service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform. The product will support the latest TiVo and DIRECTV features and services, including TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. TiVo will develop the new HD DVR for an expected launch in the second half of 2009.

DIRECTV will continue to develop and offer its own portfolio of industry leading set top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers. This new TiVo box will be offered as an alternative choice to those DIRECTV customers who would like to add TiVo to a full line up of DIRECTV services.

"We have had a very successful history with DIRECTV. Together we brought the TiVo experience to millions of DIRECTV customers and now we look forward to launching a next generation product that uses TiVo's latest features to truly showcase DIRECTV's broad selection of high-definition programming — all stitched together with the elegance of TiVo's renowned user experience," said Tom Rogers, TiVo's CEO and president. "This agreement demonstrates our continued embrace of mass distribution opportunities in cooperation with major multichannel operators who recognize the value of giving their customers a choice of compelling user experiences."

Like prior products developed by TiVo and DIRECTV, the new HD offering will be marketed and sold by DIRECTV nationally to its entire customer base as part of its growing portfolio of brand name video offerings. Specific consumer pricing and packaging will be announced in conjunction with DIRECTV's launch of the product.

"As the industry's content and technology leader, DIRECTV has a long-standing reputation for developing innovative, advanced products and services, including our highly successful series of DVRs and HD DVRs," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "We will continue to work with TiVo and make this new product available to all new and existing DIRECTV customers who may want to add TiVo on top of our industry leading experience."

DIRECTV and TiVo began their relationship in 2000 with the launch of the first DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service. In April 2006, the companies announced an extension of their commercial and advertising relationship and those commercial and advertising capabilities are further extended, and now include the new HD platform. DIRECTV and TiVo also recently deployed a software update to existing DIRECTV with TiVo boxes, which enables new features like DIRECTV's Remote Booking.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4900010

ronnythunder
09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
merged dupe threads

ronny

SpoonsJTD
09-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Before I was teased with the vaporware of HDPC-20, this would have excited me more. Not that I think this will be vaporware, just that I'd rather have the HDPC-20, and this thing isn't scheduled for 2009 (but will still likely come before the HDPC).

stevel
09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Quoting the press release: "Under the terms of the non--exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVoŽ service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform." This strongly implies a "Comcast TiVo" type arrangement. Dave Zatz, who is usually reliable on such things. also described it this way.

TiVo wants out of the hardware business.

ronnythunder
09-04-2008, 10:57 PM
merged again - please try to keep the discussion in this topic.

thx

ronny

tvtyme
09-05-2008, 03:10 AM
I'm assuming, since the Tivo S/W will be designed to run on DirecTV's HD DVR, that any prospect of hacking is out - unless the DVR design reverts back to the Linux kernel OS on a hard drive...

jwciv
09-05-2008, 08:18 AM
we'll have to wait for the official Tivo press releases to be sure, but this article indicates Tivo will build the box

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/09/tivo_to_make_hd_dvrs_for_direc.php

TiVo plans to build the set-top box, which would be used by DirecTV’s broadband-enabled customers, as early as next July

classicsat
09-05-2008, 02:14 PM
IMHO, it remains to be seen. Traditionally, despite being de-facto TiVo hardware, DirecTV TiVos were considered DirecTV receivers first.
I am leaning in the direction of TiVo building a new hardware for this venture.

dburckh
09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Here's an official sounding announcement. [Edit]Just noticed this is a duplicate of post 5

http://www.cepro.com/article/tivo_launches_hd_xl_dvr_teams_up_with_directv/

This implies that they'll be supporting AVC. I wonder if lack of AVC support was part of why DirecTV built their own.

It's too little, too late for me. I'm Dish come October (The DVR that's better than Tivo) :p Just kidding, I'm going to sorely miss my Tivo.

rbautch
09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
It really must be true - this morning I received the following message on my tivo:
Great news. DIRECTV and TiVo have extended their current agreement which will ensure your continued enjoyment of your TiVo enabled DVR receiver. DIRECTV and TiVo are also working together to develop a new DIRECTV HD DVR featuring the TiVoŽ service.

This new receiver will allow access to more than 130 channels in HD now available on DIRECTV as well as take advantage of DIRECTV's broadband-enabled DIRECTV on DEMAND and TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. It's expected to launch in the second half of 2009 and we will provide specific pricing and packaging as soon as launch dates are confirmed.

For those customers who would like to learn more about DIRECTV's full HD services immediately, visit us online. For additional information please go to www.DIRECTV.com or www.TiVo.com/DIRECTV.

Our promise is to provide you with the best television experience, and we are excited about this continued relationship with TiVo.I hope this means they're not going to turn off the 72.5 sat and eliminate the Dtivos ability to pick up local channels. Some chatter on DBSTalk to the contrary.

cheer
09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Zatz and others have spoken to TiVo and DirecTV, and from the sound of it most of the technical details haven't been worked out yet. As we can all see, the press release(s) are ambiguous.

If TiVo builds the box, then it'll likely leverage the TiVo HD platform. If they do plan to deploy TiVo code on the HR2x DVRs, then it should be noted that the HR2x hardware is a lot closer to a TiVo HD than the Comcast Moto boxes were, and there's none of the OCAP nonsense do deal with.

Either way it sounds promising.

blueman2
09-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Don't be such a pessimist. My HR20 has very good performance; almost as fast as my SD DirecTiVos. The main thing I miss is the absence of dual live buffers.

PlainBill

I was not very clear in my comments. While the native Comcast box is not too bad, when they put Tivo software on it, it was a complete pig. 2-5 second wait time between button presses.

jsmmd
03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
"Additionally, we continue to work on our new DIRECTV HD DVR. The new HD DVR will include popular TiVo broadband features, and will be immediately accessible to DIRECTV's entire national customer base on day-one of the launch. We have had a very successful history with DIRECTV and those subscribers are some of our most loyal customers. Now, as these customers look to upgrade from standard definition programming, they will have the option to choose the TiVo experience to help them truly get the most out of their high definition viewing experience.

http://investor.tivo.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=368436

tvtyme
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
http://investor.tivo.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=368436
Let's hope that if they do decide to use DirecTV HD HW like the HR2X's that they don't integrate the OS directly onto the HW. Otherwise, any possibility of hacks are probably out.

tvtyme
04-14-2009, 09:56 PM
While we're all waiting for the new HD DirecTivo box, any idea how we'd extract the Mpeg4 HD content and burn it to DVD in HD? Since I have an HR10-250 I currently extract/burn Mpeg2 HD content to HD-DVD.

PlainBill
04-15-2009, 12:16 AM
While we're all waiting for the new HD DirecTivo box, any idea how we'd extract the Mpeg4 HD content and burn it to DVD in HD? Since I have an HR10-250 I currently extract/burn Mpeg2 HD content to HD-DVD.

It's been discussed in another thread found here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57426&page=2). The capability is implicit in the DirecTV2PC software. Two possible approaches would be to 1. Emulate the DirecTV2PC software's approach of decrypting the stream from the DVR or 2. intercept the data stream AFTER it's been decrypted and store it on the hard drive.

(This is WAY beyond my capabilities). :o

PlainBill

tvtyme
04-17-2009, 04:00 AM
Heh, guess I should have clarified my question which was, assuming the new HD DirecTivo box will be hackable (I know...big IF), and scrambling can be disabled via an S2/S3/THD-equivalent NoCSO patch, how to extract?

PlainBill, thanks for the reminder about the HR20 thread. I completely forgot about it and was searching for "extract + mpeg4".

Seems like your Approach #1 might be easier, with the caveat of my assumptions above. I'd imagine unscrambling the shows while on the DTivoHD might break DirecTV2PC for the same reason NoCSO broke TTG/MRV on the S3/THD as described here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=301799&postcount=8).

We'll see....

jwciv
05-07-2010, 12:45 PM
lastest update from yesterday's conference call, which can be replayed here: 888-203-1112 in the U.S. and 719-457-0820 internationally. The Replay pass code is 4566217.
Financial details are here: http://investor.directv.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=467215

The Tivo news:
Question:
Could talk about where you are in your discussions with TiVo, about rolling out any new service?

Answer from DirecTV CEO:
Sure, we've had an ongoing series of meetings with Tom Rogers and the TiVo team earlier this year. We're in the process of working with them. We've provided them specs for our box, and I think we expect them to have a box for us, an updated box, maybe the end of this year, or maybe early next year. I probably don't know the specific date that Tom's got targeted, but we're working closely with them, and certainly expecting to see a new box out of them that would work on DirecTV some time in the not too distant future.
Follow-up question:
Any thoughts on how the service or the features would differ from what the TiVo is rolling out now with RCN?
Answer:
You know, to be honest with you, we're all working on a lot of the same things. I mean, we've got demos that we've looked at internally that include television apps, that would enable you to look at YouTube on the television, that would enable you to do things with movies and photos, that do video on demand, so a lot of the same, what I'll call the connected experience across your screens. We believe is quite strategic, and it's something we'll talk about as we kind of complete our strategy later this year, but the good news is we've been working on this area over the last year or two, both with our HMC and our MRV, and you'll see more of that later this year. But to be honest with you, I didn't see anything in the functions and features, and we did see a demo of it, that was materially different in functions and features then the kind of functions and features we've been looking to build into our Home Media Center and our Connected Lifestyle Initiative.

davidgreem
05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Very very good news if both the companies sort out their internal problems over the agreement and come with some new and competetive product with excellent features.Hope for the best and let see.

dsboyce8624
05-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I am so glad to hear this. I've gone through like 8 hard drives in my T60s so far.

Finally.

tvtyme
12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Somebody pinch me! Looks like the wait for a new HD DirecTivo is over: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/tivo_receiver#more%20details

stevel
12-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, only if you live in the "select areas" where it is being rolled out now. Otherwise it's still waiting time. However, the announced specs are quite underwhelming.

jwciv
12-10-2011, 11:12 AM
...the announced specs are quite underwhelming.

Well said. DBStalk also has some pics of the GUI, I feel like I'm back in time on my HR10-250

stevel
12-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Nevertheless, it is what many people want - an HR10 with current HD capability. They got that. My wife would probably find that just fine.

PlainBill
12-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Nevertheless, it is what many people want - an HR10 with current HD capability. They got that. My wife would probably find that just fine.

True. Until she discovers that for the same money she could have gotten something that has many more features AND is significantly faster. The new DirecTiVo HD-DVR is based on the HR21/HR22 (same hardware, different size hard drives), the slowest of the DirecTV HD-DVRs. The HR24 is much faster.

Yes, the UI is different, but a child can learn the DirecTV UI. As a matter of fact, my 6 year old grandson is currently teaching our 74 year old house guest the DirecTV UI.

PlainBill

stevel
12-22-2011, 08:31 PM
My wife doesn't care. We have an HR21 - she hates the UI (even the new HD one.) I think it's largely because she has preferred to stay on the HR10, but she says she "doesn't care about HD". It's just stubbornness, I am sure, but it's not something worth arguing over. I will probably replace the HR10 with the THR22 when it is available nationally.