PDA

View Full Version : RFC: are you still using JavaHMO?

djl
09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Those of us that absolutely require MRV for our series 2 units are stuck with 6.2a, and so have no access to HME apps. There are a few programs that can serve photos and mp3s to these units, but JavaHMO is the only app (that I'm aware of) that also serves web pages, rss feeds, weather, etc. Unfortunately, it hasn't been supported for years and at least a couple of the modules have broken again. I'm curious to know who still uses it, and for what, and what problems they're having. Is it worth fixing the broken modules, or should the effort go to a different project?
For myself, I'm stymied by caching problems. Web pages only update when I first start my computer, no matter how I set them up. Does anyone else have this issue?

ronnythunder
09-10-2008, 11:40 PM
i'm still using it, and it might be nice to have the caching working. having said that, i mostly just use the mp3 stuff <shrug>.

ronny

rbautch
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I use it all the time, but just for music and photos. Seems to work fine. Too bad development was abandoned.

Smee
09-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I do as well. A few things have stopped working, like the Movie Guide (Was Bought Out) and the weather pluggin. I have got around this by pulling the Weather pictures from my local news station. Looks better too. :D

Smee

djl
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I always preferred using RSS feeds for Weather (rather than the plugin) since you can get much more detailed forecasts. It's the web page plugin that drives me nuts - it only updates when I restart the computer, at least on Vista. Does anyone use JHMO on a different OS, and does it have the same problem? Thanks.

I do as well. A few things have stopped working, like the Movie Guide (Was Bought Out) and the weather pluggin. I have got around this by pulling the Weather pictures from my local news station. Looks better too. :D

Smee

cheer
09-19-2008, 09:45 PM
I still use JavaHMO, though probably not for much longer. I'm running it on Linux but only for the MP3 stuff.

I'll probably be off DirecTV (and thus my DirecTivos) in about a month. For what it's worth, JavaHMO has been rock-solid for the few things I ask of it.