PDA

View Full Version : de-hacking a series 3

lgkahn
09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
ok here is a weird qustion.. i am getting a open box series 3 for a good price no cables or remote.. i am going to put a bigger hard drive in it.. but not activate it immediately as this is going to be for my mothers house

so i restored from one of my hacked 9.4 backups

thus i will get the latest version of the s/w on without having to go there at christmas time and wait for multiple updates after activating..

anyway.. should these steps below be enough do "de-hack" it so it boots without the prom mod

1. replace tivoapp with tivoapp.original

2. dd the original 94 kernel back on..

is this enought or do i have to get rid of all extra files i put on such as rc.sysinit.author and mfs ftp etc. etc.. if so i don't think i can track down all files i put on the hard drive

thanks in advance

jt1134
09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
if you put in the original kernel, then anything that's been changed will be wiped out. so, you'll need to have the originals in place of any important files. tivoapp, iptables and rc.sysinit come to mind, if you've modified any other native files, then replace them with the originals. as far as any "hacks", they'll just get deleted when linuxrc runs the first time.

lgkahn
10-06-2008, 08:31 AM
thanks all that was necessary was putting the kernel and the tivoapp back to original for future reference left all the s/w in var etc. and it is working ok..

one strange thing.. i registered it on tivo with a lifetime subscript. on my account..
and mrv is not working right.. i can see my other 2 hd tivos and they can see it.. but in every case they say there are no recordings on the other unit.. is this because the others are hacked and have encryption off but this unit does not??? anyone seen this.. off course i am not bothering sending it in to get a prom mod. just for my mother.. it is not necessary...

pytivo is working ok though and i can transfer shows that way...

thanks

ScanMan
10-06-2008, 09:20 AM
mrv is not working right.. i can see my other 2 hd tivos and they can see it.. but in every case they say there are no recordings on the other unit.. is this because the others are hacked and have encryption off but this unit does not???If the others are SA's with full Superpatch, you can go back to just a NoCSO patch and you should see the recordings. If they are DTivos, I think you may be out of luck in enabling MRV between these units due to the newer MRV protocol in 9.x software.

lgkahn
10-06-2008, 12:14 PM
you misunderstood they are all series 3 hd tivos.. 2 are hacked 1 is not

lrhorer
10-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I cannot successfully MRV between hacked and non-hacked TiVos, assuming by "hacked" you mean encryption is disabled.