PDA

View Full Version : Removing CopyProtectionInfo from S3/TivoHD Recordings

jt1134
10-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Up until recently, I had no issues with the CCI byte being set on any of my digital channels. However, in the past few days Comcast has implemented this on a few of my premium channels. Here's a simple script I wrote to nuke the offending MFS values and open these recordings up to MRV.

This is a very simple script with hardly any error checking. Usage is 'tivosh cpi_remover.tcl <fsid>' where <fsid> is the fsid of the show you want to "fix". There are numerous ways to find the fsid, one is via the NPL by pressing info and noting the Recording ObjID of the afflicted program.

This is meant to ONLY be used on recordings that were otherwise unscrambled, ie recorded after applying the NoCSO tivoapp patch. All this does is allow you to use TTG or MRV with the show instead of relying on the mfs_* utils {mfs_ftp, tytools, etc} for extracting the show. This tool will only allow MRV transfers. TTG transfers will fail as noted by jkozee below. Standard tools based upon the mfs_* utils will still work without issue.

IF YOU HAVEN'T PATCHED TIVOAPP TO DISABLE CSO ENCRYPTION, THEN DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS SCRIPT!

Roger Dylan
10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Be still, my heart! You realize at first glance your thread title might indicate the holy grail: MRV for all on an unhacked Tivo.

But still a great added capability, requiring only minimum hacking and thereafter allowing the use of only standard tools for the crippled programs. Thanks.

jkozee
10-29-2008, 11:25 PM
All this does is allow you to use TTG or MRV with the show instead of relying on the mfs_* utils

IIRC this approach only works for MRV and not TTG. TTG sees shows as unprotected, but it will not transfer.

phdeez
10-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Awesome script jt1134!! Before I bork my recordings, is there any way to run the script on a bunch of shows [or all] at a time?

<this would also allow for a cron job to be run daily to allow mrvs>

jkozee
11-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Here's a script I've used to strip drm from all shows. It is based on a snippet (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=292950&postcount=280) that jt1134 posted a while back. You need to call this script as "RemoveDrmAll.tcl ready" to process all shows, otherwise you will just get a list of shows that will be processed.

jt1134
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
IIRC this approach only works for MRV and not TTG. TTG sees shows as unprotected, but it will not transfer.

Bah...you're right. It appears the shows that I tested it on must have had the CopyProtectionInfo object present, but were not actually protected. I just made a few test recordings, verified they were "protected", ran the script and tried to extract them with TD and they failed. Sorry for any confusion.

A few errors were logged in tvlog when the transfer failed, and I found several strings in tivoapp correlating with them. If only I knew where to start there, I'd just patch tivoapp to ignore the CCI byte completely (Any assembly gurus in the house? ;)). At least MRV works.

StanSimmons
11-02-2008, 12:23 PM
At least MRV works.

Have you tried using TTG on the show on the new TiVo, AFTER you have moved it using MRV?

jt1134
11-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Have you tried using TTG on the show on the new TiVo, AFTER you have moved it using MRV?

I would have, had I thought about it. I deactivated my second tivo the other day, and my other TivoHD is on another account, so no more MRV for me for a while. :( If only I could figure out a tivoapp patch to allow MRV between tivos on different accounts. mfs_uberexport+vserver still works fine though. ;)

phdeez
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
So, I tried jkozee's RemoveDRMAll script and it successfully stripped the DRM info from my unscrambled shows, but MRV from my hacked TivoHD -> unhacked TivoHD failed. I then tried jt1134's cpi_remover.tcl script on an unscrambled but DRM'd stream and it said successful, but again, MRV fails.

I say DRM is gone because when I view the Now Playing List it lists the shows that previously had a red "no" sign over them, and allows me to transfer those shows to the unhacked TivoHD, but when I try to start the show it just stalls [black screen with the time bar on the bottom].

Is this expected behavior? These scripts only work between hacked units? :(

jt1134
11-04-2008, 01:01 PM
These scripts only work between hacked units? :(
correct. that's the way it's always been.

jkozee
11-04-2008, 01:06 PM
It's been a while since I played with these scripts, but I'm pretty sure that it will still fail. I also believe that if you transfer a show from the PC to the TiVo, you can MRV between units, but you can't transfer it back to the PC.

phdeez
11-04-2008, 02:04 PM
correct. that's the way it's always been.

Well, thats a damn shame :(. Guess I'll have to use mfs tools to get it off the tivo, then serve it back to my network via pytivo.

Guess I dropped in a TB in the wrong spot... should have been in a media server sitting next to my hacked tivo...

Heartbreaker
02-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Here's a script I've used to strip drm from all shows. It is based on a snippet (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=292950&postcount=280) that jt1134 posted a while back. You need to call this script as "RemoveDrmAll.tcl ready" to process all shows, otherwise you will just get a list of shows that will be processed.

So (Newbie here) I would just telnet this using the following command:

mount -o remount,rw /
cd /tvbin
cp RemoveDrmAll.tcl
mount -o remount,ro /
reboot

... and this should remove the block on pre-modded shows?

Thinkdiff
02-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Your cp command isn't doing anything, it needs two arguments. It also depends on where you upload the RemoveDrmAll.tcl file (probably should just put it in /var).

So it would be:

cd /var
chmod 755 RemoveDrmAll.tcl
RemoveDrmAll.tcl ready

Heartbreaker
02-23-2011, 02:30 AM
see next post

mike_s
02-23-2011, 07:21 AM
You don't have tivoftpd installed? There's an rz on TiVo, so you should be able to use zmodem across telnet. It looks like busybox supports rsync, so you could use that, too. You could even open a text editor on the TiVo, and copy/paste it in, it's only a couple of screens.

djl
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Just for the record, rz transfers only work via serial cable.

You don't have tivoftpd installed? There's an rz on TiVo, so you should be able to use zmodem across telnet. It looks like busybox supports rsync, so you could use that, too. You could even open a text editor on the TiVo, and copy/paste it in, it's only a couple of screens.

mike_s
02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Just for the record, rz transfers only work via serial cable.For the record, you're wrong (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23781).

Heartbreaker
02-24-2011, 06:51 AM
So it would be:

cd /var
chmod 755 RemoveDrmAll.tcl
RemoveDrmAll.tcl ready

Just wnated to experiment since I have had such luck with KMTTG. Looks like the RemoveDrmAll.tcl file is up and running and shows previously flagged in kmttg and TTG are now NOT flagged (WOO HOO)...
but, of course, when I try to download the files to my computer, it starts the download then stops immediately without downloading the file. KMTTG gives me the following information log when I attempt to download:

>> DOWNLOADING /Users/phoenix/Movies/TiVo Recordings/Converted/XXXX XXXXX (06_13_2010).TiVo ...
/usr/bin/curl --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar /tmp/cookie7617099641452288171.tmp --url http://192.168.1.7:80/download/XXXX%20XXXXX.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=200712 --output "/Users/phoenix/Movies/TiVo Recordings/Converted/XXXX XXXXX - Bad Blood (06_13_2010).TiVo"
/Users/phoenix/Movies/TiVo Recordings/Converted/XXXX XXXXX - Bad Blood (06_13_2010).TiVo: size=0.00 MB elapsed=0:00:00 (0.00 Mbps)
<h2>Resource Not Found</h2>
Download failed to file: /Users/phoenix/Movies/TiVo Recordings/Converted/XXXX XXXXX - Bad Blood (06_13_2010).TiVo
Exit code: 0
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 31 0 31 0 0 172 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 174
0 79 0 79 0 0 189 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 189
XXXX XXXXX - Bad Blood (06_13_2010).TiVo: Download attempt # 2 scheduled in 10 seconds.
XXXX XXXXX - Bad Blood (06_13_2010).TiVo: Too many failed downloads, GIVING UP!!

Ok, so it's a fail. but NOW the shows won't even play at ALL (!!!). What the heck?? When I try to play the show, I get the following error message:

The TIVO HD DVR was not able to record this program because there was no video signal on the channel. you may have been trying to record on a channel that you don't receive
...Which I OBVIOUSLY receive because how else would I have gotten the recordings? lol. So anyone got a reason for this? I'm guessing I should just completely remove the RemoveDRmAll.tcl and the cpi_remover.tcl

unitron
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Just wnated to experiment since I have had such luck with KMTTG. Looks like the RemoveDrmAll.tcl file is up and running and shows previously flagged in kmttg and TTG are now NOT flagged (WOO HOO)...
but, of course, when I try to download the files to my computer, it starts the download then stops immediately without downloading the file. KMTTG gives me the following information log when I attempt to download:

Ok, so it's a fail. but NOW the shows won't even play at ALL (!!!). What the heck?? When I try to play the show, I get the following error message:

...Which I OBVIOUSLY receive because how else would I have gotten the recordings? lol. So anyone got a reason for this? I'm guessing I should just completely remove the RemoveDRmAll.tcl and the cpi_remover.tcl

That error message is also the one you get when the TiVo goes to the place on the harddrive where the database of recorded shows says a show is and, for whatever reason, can't find it.

If you do a truncated backup with -f 9999 you wind up including the database of what's recorded without including the actual recordings and get the same error message if you try to play one.

Heartbreaker
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
That error message is also the one you get when the TiVo goes to the place on the harddrive where the database of recorded shows says a show is and, for whatever reason, can't find it.

If you do a truncated backup with -f 9999 you wind up including the database of what's recorded without including the actual recordings and get the same error message if you try to play one.

Thanks for the information. I just added in the RemoveDrmAll.tcl patch, though. The question is why can't my Tivo play the programs now and how do I get them back to play on my Tivo again?

ScanMan
02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the information. I just added in the RemoveDrmAll.tcl patch, though. The question is why can't my Tivo play the programs now and how do I get them back to play on my Tivo again?
Are you able to play them on the Tivo? I assume not, so what unitron is saying is that when you did an MFSLive backup, unless you chose to save your recordings as part of that backup (which would have made the backup file quite large), you lost them; although the Now Playing List still has the index to them they do not exist on the hard drive anymore.

Heartbreaker
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Are you able to play them on the Tivo? I assume not, so what unitron is saying is that when you did an MFSLive backup, unless you chose to save your recordings as part of that backup (which would have made the backup file quite large), you lost them; although the Now Playing List still has the index to them they do not exist on the hard drive anymore.

WOW! So you think the patch completely removed the shows from the HD? Also, I DO have a copy of the shows on another drive but not sure it's worth it putting them back on the new modded drive (unless I can do it via ftp).

ScanMan
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
WOW! So you think the patch completely removed the shows from the HD? Also, I DO have a copy of the shows on another drive but not sure it's worth it putting them back on the new modded drive (unless I can do it via ftp).No it's not the patch. It was when you did the hard drive backup via MFSLive or WinMFS it did not backup and transfer the recorded programs from the original disk to the new disk unless you specified.

unitron
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM

ScanMan seems to think that I think that you moved from one hard drive to another and that's where things got screwed up.

That, however, is not what I thought, although it was as a result of moving from one drive to another that I learned what I did, so I can see how he misunderstood what I meant.

I was under the impression that you had somehow modified the software on your TiVo's hard drive and afterwards gotten that error message.

I was pointing out that the TiVo not being able to find a recording in the location it expects it to be can cause that error message.

It isn't correct, but apparently that's the one it picks out of its non-infinite error message database when it encounters that situation.

Now as to why it can't find the recording at the location on the hard drive where it expects to, I can't say. Perhaps something has damaged or changed the first sector on which the show is recorded, or perhaps the way it describes where the show is is relative (953rd sector on partition "x", or on partition named "y") rather than absolute (1,993,287th sector from the begining of the drive regardless of partition map), and something has shifted all of those references.

Now if you also moved from one drive to another in addition to screwing around with the software that means you very well may have copied over the index of the shows without copying over the shows themselves, or that the shows may have landing in locations different from their previous ones, either absolute or relative.

psxboy
02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Of course, the other possibility is that the recording in question was encrypted. If that was the case, then by removing the drm info you also removed the information necessary to decrypt it for playback.

-psxboy

tivo4mevo
02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Ok, so it's a fail. but NOW the shows won't even play at ALL (!!!). What the heck?? ... I'm guessing I should just completely remove the RemoveDrmAll.tcl and the cpi_remover.tclpsxboy is correct.

RemoveDrmAll.tcl does this on line 53
dbobj $drm_part remove MediaEncryptionKeywhich wiped out the encryption keys for your shows. Hence the tivo can't play them back now. If I read the thread correctly, you have a truncated backup of this exact drive? If so, then you might be able to rescue the MFS values that you inadvertently clobbered (when you executed the RemoveDrmAll.tcl script). However, recovering the MFS MediaEncryptionKey values from the truncated backup and recreating on the "live" drive is non-trivial. As would be recovering them from MFS /Rubbish (assuming that the garbage collector hasn't gotten to them already).

For the benefit of any future readers of this thread: from coaxe59's post in this thread here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=309787#post309787), and an inspection of the two scripts in this thread, it appears that the the only MFS value you should have removed/changed was the CopyProtectionInfo value (not the Signature, SignatureType, MediaEncryptionKey, nor MediaEncryptionKeyType objects).

Attached it a revised version of Jkozee's RemoveDrmAll.tcl which should accomplish only that (merely commented out six lines).

WARNING: only use this script if you've already applied the patches found in this thread here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61061)

psxboy
02-25-2011, 11:33 AM
WARNING: only use this script if you've already applied the patches found in this thread here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61061)

Here are the updated patch locations for 11.0j btw:

11.0j
0x0056aaf4 "1200ffaf 1000ffaf"
0x00598774 "1200ff87 1000ff87"

For those that haven't been following along, these patches supposedly bypass the checks on a recording's DRM signatures. In theory this should allow you to selectively remove items from the DRM MFS object for a recording. Normally that would invalidate the signature but with these patches in place the Tivo should ignore the signature all together.

-psxboy

Heartbreaker
02-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Of course, the other possibility is that the recording in question was encrypted. If that was the case, then by removing the drm info you also removed the information necessary to decrypt it for playback.

-psxboy

Thanks psxboy for clarifying the situation for me.

OK, so just to be sure I understand, I need to upload and install the 51killer.tcl patch and then the RemoveCpiAll.tcl and with that, the shows that are unable to playback should work again?
...would this also allow me to transfer the shows to my PC?

Again, Relative Newbie here - so I want to be sure I run this via telnet correctly. So it would look as follows?? (assuming I upload 51killer.tcl & RemoveCpiAll.tcl in /var):

cd /var
chmod 755 51killer.tcl
chmod 755 RemoveCpiAll.tcl
RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready

Thinkdiff
02-26-2011, 12:11 AM
No. Your problem is a bit more serious at this point. Once the commands are executed in the RemoveDrmAll.tcl file (deleting all of the keys for your recordings), there's no going back.

You basically have three options from what I can see:
1. Using the existing drive, extract the missing objects from MFS (Signature, SignatureType, MediaEncryptionKey, MediaEncryptionKeyType, etc) for each recording and then somehow restore them onto your current drive.

2. Try to recover the deleted objects from the /Rubbish directory in MFS, if they are still there. It's kind of like a "recycling bin" for the MFS that gets emptied regularly.

3. Start over by cloning the original drive.

1 and 2 require a fairly good knowledge of the MFS and maybe some TCL scripting. 3 is the easiest.

Heartbreaker
02-26-2011, 12:19 AM
You basically have three options from what I can see:
1. Using the existing drive, extract the missing objects from MFS (Signature, SignatureType, MediaEncryptionKey, MediaEncryptionKeyType, etc) for each recording and then somehow restore them onto your current drive.

2. Try to recover the deleted objects from the /Rubbish directory in MFS, if they are still there. It's kind of like a "recycling bin" for the MFS that gets emptied regularly.

3. Start over by cloning the original drive.

1 and 2 require a fairly good knowledge of the MFS and maybe some TCL scripting. 3 is the easiest.

Well let's assume I do option 3 (which is the most likely choice since i have about zero knowledge of TCL scripting & MFS). I would then run the 51killer.tcl and Removecpiall.tcl so that the shows could not only be playable again BUT moved to my PC, if at all?

Thinkdiff
02-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Well let's assume I do option 3 (which is the most likely choice since i have about zero knowledge of TCL scripting & MFS). I would then run the 51killer.tcl and Removecpiall.tcl so that the shows could not only be playable again BUT moved to my PC, if at all?

I don't think you need 51killer being that it's the same TiVo. Your TiVo is capable of decrypting the scrambled recordings. Maybe somebody else can chime in on whether it's required or not.

But you will need the tivoapp patch posted by psxboy. That will allow your TiVo to play back the recordings after you run RemoveCpiAll.tcl.

tivo4mevo
02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
51killer.tcl is not required.

Heartbreaker
03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Attached it a revised version of Jkozee's RemoveDrmAll.tcl which should accomplish only that (merely commented out six lines).

So.. after formatting my drive and copied over my original Tivo hdd, re-installing the hacks, and getting the programs in question that were previously encrypted/pre-hacked BACK, I did the following:

cd /var
chmod 755 RemoveCpiAll.tcl
RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready

... ok. And now the shows that were on the "NOW PLAYING" list that I added back are now all COMPLETELY gone. So what the heck happened?!! LOL:confused:

ScanMan
03-04-2011, 04:10 PM
... ok. And now the shows that were on the "NOW PLAYING" list that I added back are now all COMPLETELY gone. So what the heck happened?!! LOL:confused:I'll take a shot here. I believe what happened jt1134 described before as:
However, the current tivoapp patch to circumvent encryption does not affect all Drm objects in a recording, such as Drm signatures and CopyProtectionInfo on some streams. If you run the new 51killer.tcl and reboot, your tivo will delete any recordings that have signatures that are tied to the old tivo, ie : all of them.
Forget the reference to 51killer.tcl, it's irrelevant here. What you need to do is patch your tivoapp for the appropriate software version so it will ignore the DRM signatures (and hence not delete the invalid recordings), as well as the noencryption patch. psxboy has posted the patches for 11.0j in this thread and for 11.0k (ignoredrm) in that thread. After you have tivoapp patched, then run tivo4mevo's RemoveCpiAll.tcl script. Good luck!

lrhorer
07-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh, cool!

I mean, really way cool!!

I've had about 40 videos stranded on my TiVos since 2006. I'm transferring them right now.

RickCJ7
08-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I just had both of my TiVoHDs serviced by Omikron and I'm ready to modify them so I can transfer shows between both of my TiVos and TiVoToGo. I'm reading through this topic, even though the subject sounds right, but all the talk is a grey area. I don't care for removing copy protection for shows that are already on TiVo, I want to start with all new recording to be transferred. What exactly do I need to do? I'm annoyed by the red circle with a slash in it.

Kayle
08-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Rick:

If you want to hack your TiVo so that future recorded shows can be downloaded, you will want to go to this thread. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53492).

This thread gives enough info and links to make already recorded shows downloadable--I've just tried it out, and am now downloading some shows I've had on one of my TiVos for a long time.

drcos
09-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Only problem I saw other than the cryptic instructions for how to patch, etc. etc. was
'retrying after TV_TM_ACTIVE_LOCK_CONFLICT ...'
Then the bash prompt. Turns out there is a downloaded 'on-demand' episode of the Onion News on there it wouldn't strip.
All my other stuff that's been on there for a while...is transferring now.

marcolisi
09-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi guys,
I downloaded the " RemoveCpiAll.tcl" and I telnet/ftp the " RemoveCpiAll.tcl" file into "/var/" folder , using putty . I run the codes in putty :

Code:

RemoveCpiAll.tcl

and

Code:

RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready

and I got :

bash-2.02# RemoveCpiAll.tcl
FSID Title
============ ================================================================
92978 TG2 Dossier
92880 Facciamo pace
92045 Caught on Camera
51760 Porta a Porta
bash-2.02# RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready
bash-2.02#
FSID Title
InProgress Tale e Quale Show
93015 Tale e Quale Show
bash-2.02# RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready
bash-2.02#
FSID Title
InProgress Tale e Quale Show

The problem is that when using kmttg , I keep having the red protection symbol next to the shows .
Do you have any idea why the shows are still protected ?
Moreover , when I rebooted my tivo, all the shows were gone...
Any idea why pls ?
Thank you