PDA

View Full Version : good-bye hr10

psm
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
well, i've finally caught up on all of the shows on my HD tivo, and took up DTV on their offer to "upgrade" me for free. i'm 10+ years, lots of HDVR2s an HR21 already installed, and subscribe to the sports packages.

They told me they would send a merchandise return box for the old system and that i would have to include remote, cables, hr10 etc....well, the dog ate the remote ;) and they can have the s-vid and composite cables back..
I purchased an early model, and it came with an hdmi-dvi cable - i cann't find it! or i sold it, or let someone have it - oh well, later ones didn't come with it. I owned the system, i didn't lease it (ebay) - so i may have some footing there.

here is my question - i was going to recover the hard drive out of it - hey, could always use an extra 250GB - and there are always people looking for a clean copy of 6.2 - you think they are going to catch that, or are all these systems just going into a crusher somewhere? should i throw an old 20GB drive i have around into it? even if it won't boot....
anyone with any experience here?

thnx.

PlainBill
11-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I have no PERSONAL experience with this, but some experience with the way returns like this are handled. The odds are that you could drop in a dead 20 gig drive, include the remote from an old tv, keep the cables, and DirecTV would never complain.

On the other hand, while it's good to be thrifty, what's the point in being cheap? Pride counts for something, too.

PlainBill

psm
11-08-2008, 10:22 AM
good point - with a 500GB drive selling for $100 at costco...why would i want that
little one anyway!

unit arrived, No BBCs!

labbie48
11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
When I took them up on the offer to upgraded my HR10, the CSR told me to just dump it. Surprised they asked you to return yours. It's been 8-9 months now and no threatening letters from or additional charges to my bill. Guess it depends on the CSR you talk to.

yourcruise
11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Yea some CSR reps are *****s.

captain_video
11-19-2008, 08:40 AM
good point - with a 500GB drive selling for $100 at costco...why would i want that
little one anyway!

unit arrived, No BBCs!
$100 is way too much for a 500GB drive these days. You can routinely find them for about $60 online. 1TB drives have dropped to below $110 on sale, and I've seen them for as low as $95 with free shipping after MIR.

vurbano
11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Dont put anything in it. Its your property isnt it? I don't know why they are entitled to it anyway. If you send it to them they are just going to throw it in the trash anyway.