PDA

View Full Version : Reason to modify PROM

12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
MRV, TTG and online scheduling eliminates many of the reasons I hacked my previous DTivos. The requirement of a PROM replacement makes the hacking more difficult and expensive.

I'm trying to decide what advantages I'll get from being able to hack a TivoHD.

Do unencrypted programs transfer significantly faster (MRV or to the PC)? I understand custom kernels also have some advantages. Do they give us any significant speed advantages? Years ago updated USB drivers give us significant advantages.

captain_video
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
My hacked S3 transfers shows way faster than using TivoToGo. TTG does it almost in real time. Other than that, the advantages of hacking either of the S3 models isn't as relevent as the S1 or S2 models. Also, the number of hacks for an S3 are few and far between as they haven't been ported over to the latest platform. Like you said, many of the features we used to hack into a Tivo are now standard. It looks like Tivo was paying attention.;)

tivo4mevo
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I've noticed a non-trivial improvement in tivoHD MRV speed by using custom kernels built using Jamie's scripts.

TiVo has added a number of different features (that could originally only be added by through hacking) over the years, so that there are fewer reasons to hack a Series 3 unit. Still, some features can only currently be added by hacking:

Transfer speed improvements
Caller ID
Larger "LiveTV" buffers
Getting guidedata for clear-QAM channels
Extraction of unencrypted video (where CCI bytes prevents TTG)
MRV of CCI protected shows
Others I'm sure I'm forgetting
In general, extremely discerning hobbiests are likely to modify a PROM. Even after modifying the PROM, hacked units require care and feeding with each new software release.