PDA

View Full Version : Sd-dvr40

anoop
01-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi All,

I recently was handed a direct TV Tivo - the model number at the back says SD-DVR10. I am an utter noob :confused:(shamelessly so..).
I do not have a TIVO connection - neither do I use Direct TV - I have a regular cable connection. I intend to use the Tivo to just pause, rewind and record shows, nothing more.
Can someone please provide some pointers as to where I can start to hack my system - all help is much much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Anoop

jt1134
01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
you need directv service to use the box. it lacks the hardware for anything else.

anoop
01-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow - so is the situation hopeless unless I get Directv connection?

Thanks,
Anoop

anoop
01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Can I at least extract the data stored on the hard drive to a PC? What do I need to achieve this?

anoop
01-04-2009, 03:17 PM
I had posted another question about the SD-DVR10, but due to my oversight it was the model SD-DVR40.

So at the risk of double posting - can somebody please let me know if there are steps to hack the SD-DVR40. All I need is to be able to record, pause and play shows.

Do I need the directv service or the tivo service to do any of these?

Finally if everything is hopeless, can I at least salvage the situation by possibly copying the shows recorded on the DVR to my PC? Please help.

thanks,
Anoop

ronnythunder
01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Can I at least extract the data stored on the hard drive to a PC? What do I need to achieve this?unless the box had previously been hacked to remove encryption, you pretty much can't retrieve the shows (ok, yes, you could do s2_unscramble, but it's rather newbie-hostile).

ronny

captain_video
01-05-2009, 08:39 AM
You can play back any shows that have been previously recorded without paying for the DVR service or having DirecTV. Just connect it to your TV and boot it up. You'll get an error when it tries to acquire the satellite data but you can bypass that and get to the main menu to access the recordings in the Now Showing list.

stevel
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Note: to bypass the searching for satellite screen, press the DirecTV/TiVo button on the remote.