PDA

View Full Version : TiVo incorrectly handles resolutions or aspect ratios.

ciper
01-10-2009, 08:55 AM
This is a copy of threads on TCF. Though it would be fun to discuss here as well since the percentage of techies are higher. Please see http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6983648

The TiVo HD has the following behavior
Native video format with Smart Screen ratio display
Pros -
4:3 SD content output at 4:3
HD content output at 16:9
Cons -
Some menus in 480i while others in 720p causing resolution switches while navigating menus
16:9 480i content also output at 4:3. requires TV remote to stretch back to its correct format

Native video format with 16:9 aspect ratio display
Pros -
All menus in 720p
HD content output at 16:9
16:9 SD content output at 16:9
Cons -
with full mode on TiVo. [b]4:3 SD content output at 16:9[b] which requires the TV remote to shrink the mislabeled video. You then have to unshrink the video when viewing a true 16:9 program
with panel mode on TiVo. [b]4:3 SD content output at 16:9[b] but has reduced resolution because black bars are sent with the video signal.

This is a major issue for me because in the past I was able to put my TV remote away and have the display automatically shrink or stretch the displayed image automatically based on aspect ratio. I have three displays which support this. It's extremely handy for watching 16:9 content on a 4:3 display because you don't lose resolution outputting black bars, and on the flipside you can watch 4:3 DVDs (old tv shows) on a 16:9 set with no wasted resolution on black pillars.

So can anyone tell me how aspect ratio is flagged in a 480i video stream? Is it the resolution, 704 for 4:3 and 720 for 16:9? My reading online seems to point towards something else.