PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to Tivo

mjstehn
01-14-2009, 01:34 AM
I have a hacked Directv Tivo which I used to be able to connect to using putty and my web browser. I can no longer do that. I know what the IP address is and when I ping it, I get a response. When I try Putty, the screen comes up black and then just shuts down. The web browser gives and connection error. Any suggestions on how I can regain access?

Also, if I just want to allow the latest Directv updates to be downloaded, is there a way to do that. I believe I have disabled the feature to allow daily calling, is there a way to restore defaults?

Thanks,

captain_video
01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Reset the bootpage command via serial connection and then rename the rc.sysinit.author file. Reboot and you'll basically disable all of the hacks and allow the Tivo to dial out normally and take any software updates. Once the Tivo has been updated, pull the drive and put it in your PC. Boot from an MFSTools boot CD and mount the active and inactive partitions (use the bootpage command to find the active one). Copy all of your hack files from the inactive partition to the active one and restore the rc.sysinit.author file. Make sure everything is made executable that needs to be. Restore the drive to the Tivo and boot it up. Your hacks should now be active once again.

PlainBill
01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
An important question is what do you wish to accomplish?

DirecTiVo software updates are distributed via satellite. Ordinarily even hacked systems will receive them. Installation is usually initiated by the daily call, that won't happen if daily calls are disabled. IIRC, the DirecTiVo will still attempt to make the call, if the phone line is disconnected you will get a nag message. The nag message is suppressed by a tivoapp patch.

If you wish to upgrade to the latest software I suggest using a serial cable as Captain_Video suggested and checking if the latest slices have been downloaded. Typing echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh at a bash prompt will display all versions available. The process for upgrading has been well documented; check the 'X.XX is here' threads for instructions. You can upgrade and rehack without pulling the drive.

If you want to go to an unhacked system, it is not necessary to change the reboot command. However, you must use bootpage to remove the 'upgradesoftware=false' from the boot parameters BEFORE running installSW.itcl.

PlainBill

mjstehn
01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Since I cannot connect or do anything with my hacked Tivo, my main focus at this point is to get the software updated. After that, I can work on fixing or restoring the hacks. How do I connect with a serial connection. I have an RCA Directv Tivo and do not have a serial connection. How do I connect with a serial connection?

Anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

captain_video
01-15-2009, 08:42 AM
There's a mini-jack on the back panel labeled "Serial". You'll need a serial cable that's terminated with the 1/8" mini-plug. Some Tivos came with this cable for controlling an external cable box or satellite receiver that have a serial input. You could also build your own cable (check the S1 DTivo forum sticky threads) or you could buy one from 9th Tee or Tivo. You'd need to hack the Tivo to get a bash prompt and telnet.

PlainBill
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Instructions on building a serial cable and capturing the serial console output are here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=234467#post234467).

PlainBill