PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Service Number Hack?

nerys
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
We have one of the original Sony SVR 2000 TIVO's with a lifetime subscription.

Well it dies. at least the modem did. It will not dial properly. I tried the external modem it will not work either.

I have ANOTHER SVR 2000 Sony Tivo. Is there anyway I can alter this unit to use the same service number so IT will be the lifetime?

I am trying to avoid plopping down $70 for the turbo net card especially since I can not even know for sure if that will work. (no idea "what" is broken in this tivo)

Suggestions?

ciper
03-02-2009, 04:25 AM
You could transplant the crypto chip.

I find it hard to believe the internal modem and the serial port are both dead. I think you should try again to get the modem working.

nerys
03-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Well maybe you can help.

The modem is dead as a door nail. so I got the serial cable and the sugested USR modem.

It does successfully interface with the modem picks up the line gets tone and dials.

I hear the initial modem negotiation tones. Then silence (this is all normal and expected)

it sits there for some time and errors our with Service Not Available.

I have the 396 codes and all that in place the slow it down etc.. No Joy.

Suggestions?

the chip is it a pop chip or soldered? Is there a map of the board to tell me which one?

ciper
03-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I bet the external modem is working fine. TiVo has been having an issue with series 1 units and the connection to home. May I suggest you to use this http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do and find a number a few towns away and then possibly in the next state as well?

The chip is soldered in. I will try to find a picture.

nerys
03-02-2009, 02:51 PM
alas dialing out of the area is not an option. The cost of the phone service to permit this is just too expensive. I do have many local numbers so I will try some others and see what happens.

ciper
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I only suggested to use the number in another state with a test call, not that you should continue to use it.

In the past I have received the service not available message. If you search the TCF forums (and archives) there seems to be random times when this error pops up and no clear reason what makes it go away.

You could also try deleting all of the files in your log folder and try the connection again. Some have had luck with that procedure.

Lastly you could try to connect the TiVo to your PC using the serial PPP.

I still think your TiVo and external modem are working fine and its the TiVo mothership having the issue.

nerys
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
That would be nice. How do I do the serial PPP thing?

I will try some other numbers when I get home. I thought i got the same error when dialing the toll free but I will certainly give it a shot.

worst it can do is not work right :-)

unclemoosh
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I have ANOTHER SVR 2000 Sony Tivo. Is there anyway I can alter this unit to use the same service number so IT will be the lifetime?

Suggestions?

Look here:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60553

nerys
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Ok I give :-) I honestly can not figure out how exactly the other thread can help me?

it sounds like they are talking about TSN's but what does it all mean? also they are talking DTV boxes mines a standalone. Not sure how important that is.

I hope to get some time in the next day or two to try some alternate numbers and see how it goes. Would LOVE to discover its just the tivo number and not my box (well I know the modem is hosed but I mean using the external modem)

Eventually I will cough up for the turbo net card but want to make sure the box is ok before forking out the $70 for one :-)

unclemoosh
03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Ok I give :-) I honestly can not figure out how exactly the other thread can help me?

it sounds like they are talking about TSN's but what does it all mean? also they are talking DTV boxes mines a standalone. Not sure how important that is.

TSN = Tivo Service Number - like in the title of this thread.

crypto command = what you were looking for.

Now, do you get it? :confused::D

nerys
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok seeing as how these have no text entry methods I a guessing there is some other way to accomplish this.

IE can I connect a keyboard to this? do I telnet into the box in some way? possible with the serial cable to my laptop?

Suggestions on a good read up/tutorial on educating myself on how to do this?

Thanks!

bitmap
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
The original S1s came with a serial cable for controlling satellite receivers,
3.5mm to DB9. You can use this, with a null-modem adapter, to connect to the Tivo's serial console.

I've always liked this guy's serial cable write up, just ignore the part about soldering the cable,
really, null-modems arent' that bad:
http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_rs232cable.php

Check Captain Video's Tivo Hacking for Newbies (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37058) to turn on the command prompt (bash) over the serial port, though you can't have both serial console access and PPP on the modem at the same time.

Isn't there a dial prefix code to tell it to use the serial for a modem, that doesn't require hacking the box??
Ah, here we are. ,#319 (19,200) ,#396 (9600) ,#338 (38,400) ,#357 (57,600).

Oh, and if you don't have that cable, here's a great place to get one, with modem DB25 adapter:
http://www.9thtee.com/tivomodemrepair.htm

nerys
03-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Cool I will check up on the links provided!

YEs I only like the original units with the serial connection for the sat cable boxes. I have never ever ever had good consistent luck with those damned IR dongles. They just never work reliably all the time.

Rorschach
03-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Check the Tivo Community. There is a thread about Series 1 units not being able to download guide data. It may be there is nothing wrong with your machine at all.