PDA

View Full Version : Newbie want to get rid of phone requirement

tomc585
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
I have an SD-DVR80 which is working fine without a phone line hooked up. It doesnt have any hacks applied to it.
I recently created a new drive using Instant Cake and after doing a clear and reset to get past the code 51 error, it still asks to connect to a phone line. If I just hook it up at work ( i have no land line at home) can I just let it dial in from work and get its updates without the sat hooked up? I can live with the message to call in being in the message center but It claims it needs to connect to activate the DVR service.
Is there an easier way to modify the phone line setting like my SD-DVR40 has (Instant Cake & johnny death). I really dont need the usb ports and other such mods. Thanks, Tommy.

whitepelican
03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
If you're only interested in getting past the guided setup phone-in requirement (and you don't mind the nag messages you'll be getting in the future about calling in) then just take it to work, a neighbors, or anywhere else that has a landline and let it call in.

tomc585
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Thats what I thought, read it here somewhere in an old thread, just wanted to make sure it still applied. Thanks for the reply.

captain_video
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Here's a little tip for you - After you've allowed the DTivo to make the two initial phone calls (the 1st downloads the list of local dial-in numbers and the 2nd tests the number you selected from the 1st list), make a backup image of the Tivo drive. That way, if you should ever have to restore an image to the Tivo drive, you can avoid ever having to make the initial phone calls again. Make a backup each time the Tivo gets a software upgrade and you'll never need a phone line.