PDA

View Full Version : Swap HD on HDVR2 To Watch Old Recordings?

WirelessMike
03-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Can one swap back in old drives (pre-upgrades HD) that have old TV shows on them, just so you can playback the shows on that drive?

DISCLAIMER: I have no interest in ripping off Direct TV, only to play my old shows, an understanding how this works.

I have two active HDVR2, and a "spare" I purchased it used at a flea market, (it does work).

I would like to put one of my old, orginal HD back into a HDVR2 so to play some old shows I never got off before the upgrade.

Since the HDVR2 is NOT an RID based reciever, I suspect that as long as one also transfers the smart card CAC, the the HDVR2/drive wil be happy. True?

What about if one installs an old HD and NO CAC smart card, then can one play old programs (but no sat service)?

What about putting the "wrong" HD in a HDVR2. I am led to believe the HDVR2 has no chip with an "electronic serial number" so one can swap HD? How about putting one of my HD from HDVR2 #1 and put in HDVR#2 (my spare, with no active account) and no CAC smart card. I expect no sat service, but can I play old TV shows?

Any other suggestions?

TIA

tvtyme
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
If you put your original (unhacked) HD back into the same HDVR2 it came from then you can view the recordings.

If you put the HD from HDVR2 #1 into HDVR2 #2 then you won't be able to view the recordings without hacking the drive. You'd need to either set the crypto chip's TSN on HDVR2 #2 to match the TSN of HDVR2 #1 (info on how to do that is in this forum) or unencrypt the shows and run 51killer on the drive (info is also in this forum).

L8r