PDA

View Full Version : I think my tivo is circling the drain.

parttimer
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
It just turned one and has started to reboot on its own, kinda annoying. I am guessing the drive is on its way out. This morning the channel up botton decided to stop working. You would press the up button while watching TV, the light on the unit would display indicating it got the command followed by the "bonk" sound. Go into the guide and the channel buttons work fine. I am looking to replace the drive with a TB sized drive. Is it possible to use a tool like R-Image to do a byte by byte copy of the old drive to the new one? Am I stuck in Linux land to perform the operation? The unit is a Tivo S3 HD, not an XL.

ciper
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
You can do a "byte perfect" copy of the drive then expand the remaining space. I think this is referred to as the bumwine method.

That said I wouldn't do it! If your drive is corrupted wouldn't the corruption be copied to the new drive?

parttimer
04-21-2009, 05:01 PM
I think the drive itself is failing, not due to corruption.

parttimer
04-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I had more symptoms this afternoon when I got home. The picture would become pixelated while watching TV, if you could watch tv without it pixelating. I picked up new drive and currenty I am dup'ing the drive. If that fails I have a fresh image I may try to get to work.

ciper
04-22-2009, 12:07 AM
When the drive fails the data cannot always be recovered from the bad sectors. So hardware failure ends up equaling corruption.

You may even have spare sectors left on the drive but have corruption

parttimer
04-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I pray this works, if not I guess I need to figure out how to get the image I dl'ed onto the new drive. I am assuming I will need a drive with the image on it, then restore it to the new drive.

ciper
04-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Are you saying you already downloaded an image file? If so what was the file name? I can help you figure out how to apply it.

parttimer
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I got this: Tivo.Series.3.TCD648250B.Virgin.Image.Supafly.mfs but I am not sure about how I get it from my machine to the tivo. Can I burn it to a dvd, use a boot cd, after booting pop the image into the dvd drive and restore it that way? Also will that screw my cable cards?

ciper
04-24-2009, 04:45 AM
That is a good image.
You have to use the MFStools to restore it, not WinMFS.
I suggest using the MFSLive bootcd and storing that image file on a USB key.
There is a high possibility that your cable cards will need to be paired again but it depends on the cable company.

parttimer
04-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I have crappy Time Warner, we still have to switch to the new box instead of the cards. So far everything is working so this is on the back burner. I am of course going to keep the image for when this drive dies, or for when I decide to upgrade to a TB drive, which may be in the future. Thanks for all your help! Now if only I could play files from my PC on Tivo!

ScanMan
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
...Now if only I could play files from my PC on Tivo!Look into pytivo at http://pytivo.armooo.net/

parttimer
04-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Yup, set that up last night, cool feature but for whatever reason my wmv files don't play. It doesn't recognize the format. I am looking into converting, whats a good convertor? I tried converting from WMV to WMV but the file goes from 48mb to 130!