PDA

View Full Version : HR20 and my old dish...

milhouse
05-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi, I just bought an HR20 on ebay (i live in canada) to replace my DTivo until the new ones come out. From what I have read so far, it looks like I need to replace my awsome 36x24 dish with the new 5 lnb dish if I want to receive the new mpeg4 channels.

This seems odd to me as the dishes and lnbs are (or were) pretty standard.

Does anyone know how to install a non-standard dish to receive the new(er) mpeg4 hd channels?

Thanks,

Milhouse

milhouse
05-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I Think I figured it out. Go buy a WB68 and install it with the "old dish" pointed to 101,110,119. I don't need the local as I have the networks in NY.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Milhouse

PlainBill
05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I Think I figured it out. Go buy a WB68 and install it with the "old dish" pointed to 101,110,119. I don't need the local as I have the networks in NY.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Milhouse
You're wrong. Your old dish won't pick up the mpeg4 satellites at 99 and 101. Do you think DirecTV designed the new 5 lnb dish just so they can spend millions installing them?

PlainBill

milhouse
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi PlainBill, thanks for the reply. I guess it's the additional Ka LNBs and integrated switching that I would be missing.

Milhouse

tindallh
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm looking to do the same thing, purchase a HR20 off eBay... So how many HD channels (not including locals) would I be missing if I don't upgrade my dish? Is it worth the effort/cost?

stevel
12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
You'd miss pretty much all of them.

PlainBill
12-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm looking to do the same thing, purchase a HR20 off eBay... So how many HD channels (not including locals) would I be missing if I don't upgrade my dish? Is it worth the effort/cost?

Seriously, it's a bad idea from the start. Most (but probably not all) HR2x's were distributed as leased units. DirecTV will refuse to allow you to resubscribe them. If you find one that was actually an 'Owned' unit, the seller will want an unreasonable amount of money for it - WAY more than $200. The last I saw the seller wanted $450. Without a 'Slimline' or equivalent dish the only HD channels you would receive would be HBO HD (if you subscribe to HBO), ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, TNT HD, and HDTheatre.

If you are in good standing with DirecTV, you can order an HR2X HD-DVR for $99 + shipping ($20) online, and they will install the appropriate dish.

Now, if you have serious, realistic concerns that you will not be able to subscribe to DirecTV for the next two years (your employer is going out of business), this may not be a good choice. If you 'don't like being tied down', well life is about making commitments.

PlainBill

Nandy
03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I know this is an old thread but just to clear it a bit. I just got off the phone with DTV. Almost all of the H20-600 are owned units so if you can get one of those you should be fine. You will have to call DTV with the receiver ID before buying to make sure it is an owned unit and the account was closed in good standing. I just bought one for $75.00 including shipping. Add th $20 for the new card and im under the $99+shipping and no commitment with DTV.

PlainBill
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I know this is an old thread but just to clear it a bit. I just got off the phone with DTV. Almost all of the H20-600 are owned units so if you can get one of those you should be fine. You will have to call DTV with the receiver ID before buying to make sure it is an owned unit and the account was closed in good standing. I just bought one for $75.00 including shipping. Add th $20 for the new card and im under the $99+shipping and no commitment with DTV.

One possible problem. Did you buy an H20-600 or an HR20-600?

PlainBill