PDA

View Full Version : Restoring from virgin image using winmfs?

orman77
05-06-2009, 02:22 AM
My HD is fried so I'm unable to lift an image from it. I downloaded the image described in thread 50977 but I can't get it to restore in WinMFS (doesn't show up as a valid file type). I also tried to restore booting to mfslive but I can't seem to mount the sata drives. The sata drives show up as sda1 (partition 1), sda2 (partition 2), sdb, etc.

Is it possible to mount an ntfs formatted drive (that contains the virgin image file)? I can't seem to even get the mkdir to work. I'm not an experienced coder but I think I can copy commands well enough.

Any advice (or chastisement) is appreciated.

bramy0716
07-06-2009, 02:23 AM
It's possible you don't have the right permissions, or you didn't specify the format type. Try using "sudo" before the command or switch users to root ("su -"). This should be the mount command "mount -t ntfs /dev/sdx1 /dos" where x is your drive.

stevec5000
07-18-2009, 02:02 AM
I also tried Winmfs and it doesn't work at all! I don't see how it would be possible without using Linux and even then all the directions in the HowTos for Linux are wrong and list commands that won't work.