PDA

View Full Version : How does TiVo know ?

dlfl
07-04-2009, 04:38 PM
I keep reading that if you open the TiVo case you invalidate the warranty. However suppose I do an internal drive upgrade in an HD, saving the original internal drive unmodified. Then later I swap the original drive back in.

How would TiVo know anything had been done?

jt1134
07-04-2009, 05:01 PM
read through your tivo's logs and you'll see your hard drive's model number among other details

dlfl
07-04-2009, 06:39 PM
read through your tivo's logs and you'll see your hard drive's model number among other details
I'm not to the point where I can read the logs, yet. (My TiVo is still "original" at the moment.) If I swap the original drive back in, will the logs still show that another drive was in there at one time? I assume TiVo is able to read these logs(?).

jt1134
07-04-2009, 07:40 PM
every time your box calls in (ie: every day) logs and other info is uploaded to tivo

dlfl
07-04-2009, 09:48 PM
thanks jt1134

Guess I''ll just have to be sure I don't have a warranty claim before doing even the simplest mod.

stevel
07-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I've never heard of a warranty claim being rejected for past mods, but theoretically, it could happen. This is why the usual advice is to make sure the box works normally before starting on mods.

Unless you leave obvious physical evidence, the folks who process boxes for warranty returns don't waste the effort in looking up log information.

dlfl
07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
I've never heard of a warranty claim being rejected for past mods, but theoretically, it could happen. This is why the usual advice is to make sure the box works normally before starting on mods.

Unless you leave obvious physical evidence, the folks who process boxes for warranty returns don't waste the effort in looking up log information.
Thanks. I assume a PROM hack would be "obvious physical evidence", right?

jt1134
07-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks. I assume a PROM hack would be "obvious physical evidence", right?

yep. aside from physical evidence, the tivo often invokes 'getprom' which checks the prom's hash value against the value stored in the prom itself and logs the result. the logging can of course be dealt with a number of ways, but the "obvious physical evidence" is well, obvious.