PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 Tivo that has died - has lifetime subscription - does this have any value?

Cenzzo
07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Does this have any trade up or sale value as is? Thanks, V.

daviddans
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi,
This is probably too late but the original series 1 tivos, way back in the beginning, had the lifetime subscriptions tied to the owner, not to the unit. Tivo realized what a mistake that was and changed it. For the owners who had originally been able to keep the lifetime, Tivo allowed only those original units to have one lifetime transfer grandfathered in. I have one of them and have been saving the transfer all these years. (My mother has my old series 1 and it's still works. My one time transfer is still valid so you need to call Tivo and see if yours is old enough to qualify.
Good luck.

cojonesdetoro
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I believe there is a chip on there that can be placed in another Tivo and it moves the subscription with it.

davidgreem
05-18-2010, 10:16 AM
As per my knowledge the subscription is relate to its product and once the product is dead nothing is do with subscription,now it is of no use so leave it and go for the new one.

cojonesdetoro
05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
There are two things that can be done:

- You can have the Tivo repaired. I'm pretty sure there is a chip (forget what it's called) in there with a service code that can be transferred to a another S1 motherboard if necessary. Just search Google for Tivo repair.

- There was a legal loophole in some of early lifetime agreements that allows for a one time transfer of a series 1 lifetime subscription to another, newer unit. This was corrected by Tivo in 1999 but any unit with a lifetime sub before then is eligible for the upgrade.