PDA

View Full Version : What is the max drive size and limiting factor for HDVR2?

johnd01
08-10-2009, 02:44 AM
I have 3 HDVR2s with a 0.5T hard drive in each of them that I upgraded. I tried to upgrade one to 1.5T a while back. Everything seemed to work except it would not record any programs.
I messed around with it for a while but did not come up with any solution. I installed Linux on it and newfs a file system on the drive. It seemed to work.

What is the present max drive size and what is the present limiting factor?

PlainBill
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I have 3 HDVR2s with a 0.5T hard drive in each of them that I upgraded. I tried to upgrade one to 1.5T a while back. Everything seemed to work except it would not record any programs.
I messed around with it for a while but did not come up with any solution. I installed Linux on it and newfs a file system on the drive. It seemed to work.

What is the present max drive size and what is the present limiting factor?
IIRC, the maximum is two 1 Tbyte drives. You are in a position to verify this by taking an original (40 Gig) image and installing it on the 1.5 Tbyte drive WITHOUT expanding it. Test the drive in the HDVR2. If it works, try running mfsadd to add an additional partition set to use the unused space. Now try that.

PlainBill

johnd01
08-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks, I was afraid of that.
What programs have to change to use all the 1.5 TB or 2 TB drive?

Jamie
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I was afraid of that.
What programs have to change to use all the 1.5 TB or 2 TB drive?The best discussion is over here (http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=257&p=5961#p5961). You can read back in the thread to get some of the background, but the final post is a summary of your options.

[Edit: It was pointed out to me privately that the thread I linked to is primarily discussing S3 models. That's true, but the same principles apply here. If you want to go with the patched kernel approach, I only posted S3 kernels with that patch, so we'd have to build S2 versions. You'd still be limited to a total of 2 TiB on an S2 with the 32bit "legacy" MFS.]

johnd01
08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Thank you Jamie.