PDA

View Full Version : Adding DVR to Direct TV

towlog
10-11-2009, 01:42 PM
I an a novice when it comes to this. Can I buy any HD DVR off of Ebay and use it with my Direct TV service providing that I tell Direct TV that I am switching the equipment and pay the $6.00 DVR service cost?

What is the best piece of equipment to buy?

Direct TV is willing to lease me a new DVR after paying $99.00 but I don't want to be married into another 24 month contract.

PlainBill
10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I an a novice when it comes to this. Can I buy any HD DVR off of Ebay and use it with my Direct TV service providing that I tell Direct TV that I am switching the equipment and pay the $6.00 DVR service cost?

What is the best piece of equipment to buy?

Direct TV is willing to lease me a new DVR after paying $99.00 but I don't want to be married into another 24 month contract.

In most cases, no. Note that the HR10-250 is effectively nothing but a doorstop at this point. With rare exceptions, the HR2x DVRs were only available as leased units. DirecTV has a policy that a leased DVR that has been activated by one subscriber cannot be activated by a second subscriber. If you can find an owned DVR you MIGHT be able to activate it provided the original account has been paid up.

I suggest having a detailed discussion with a CSR on this issue. If you lease a DVR, DirecTV imposes a rather stiff cancellation fee ($400?, prorated over two years) if you discontinue service within 2 years AND do not return the DVR.

PlainBill

jt1134
10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
If you lease a DVR, DirecTV imposes a rather stiff cancellation fee ($400?, prorated over two years) if you discontinue service within 2 years AND do not return the DVR.

When I last worked for Directv (~2 years ago), the cancellation for a 2 year contract was $480. That broke down to $20 per month of the contract. For each month you kept service, $20 dropped off.

Leased equipment needs to be returned regardless of the contract status or Directv will charge ~$400 for it. If you're under contract : $400. Out of contract : $400.

Those were the #s a while back, I'm sure if they've changed, they've increased.