PDA

View Full Version : Serial Connection Weird Output Can I test

darrin75
10-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Ok, i know I have the correct settings in my author file. I have 6.2 dsr704. I think my serial cable is damaged some how, because all I get in output when I hit enter is weird characters such as >.... b with two colons above the b. weird stuff as such. How can I manually test the serial cable with a meter while connect to the tivo??

PlainBill
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok, i know I have the correct settings in my author file. I have 6.2 dsr704. I think my serial cable is damaged some how, because all I get in output when I hit enter is weird characters such as >.... b with two colons above the b. weird stuff as such. How can I manually test the serial cable with a meter while connect to the tivo??

Here are the details on setting up the serial connection (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=234467#post234467), including a link to the pinout of the cable. Your problem sounds like a number of bits / stop bits / parity / baud rate problem. Make sure the settings match in your terminal program.

PlainBill

darrin75
10-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I have my settings in both tera term and hyperterminal as such

settings of 8,n,1, 115200, no flow control

Still nothing but garb. Not even anything when it boots. Is there something I can check in the log files that would give my some clues as to what is going on here. What file would you recommend looking at .

PlainBill
10-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I have my settings in both tera term and hyperterminal as such

settings of 8,n,1, 115200, no flow control

Still nothing but garb. Not even anything when it boots. Is there something I can check in the log files that would give my some clues as to what is going on here. What file would you recommend looking at .

Those parameters should be correct. Just as a matter of curiosity, what did you set with the bootpage command?

A few additional questions.

Are you sure the phone plug is all the way into the jack?

What cable are you using?

Have you tried hitting the Enter key a few seconds after you plug the DirecTiVo in?

PlainBill

darrin75
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I will post my author file tonight when I get home.. Wait you said bootpage cmd. while I can't give you the exact reading from memory, but its bootpage -P bla bla to HD partition 4 or 7. console 2,1500 upgradesoftware false. I will post a better decsrib tonight. I have done this mnay times before...don't know what happen.. By the way I have dsr704 which uses a serial stereo jack with a null modeum on the other... Also I get garb know matter what i DO..

darrin75
10-28-2009, 02:52 AM
ok it has to be damaged serial port on tivo or bad power supply. cable works fine on another tivo with same settings and same author file..ya think

darrin75
11-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Tried 3 different tivos. I have done zipper on all of them, that seems to be the issue. Posting on other site to find solution. Thanks

PlainBill
11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Tried 3 different tivos. I have done zipper on all of them, that seems to be the issue. Posting on other site to find solution. Thanks
To quote my Grandma, 'If you want something done right, do it yourself."

PlainBill

stisacbul
11-06-2009, 04:36 AM
bookmarked and b back l8er, bro, :-)