PDA

View Full Version : TivoHD as a tuner only (e.g. emulating HDHomeRun)

AlphaWolf
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Has anybody ever looked at doing this before? Basically the idea is to modify the tivo to behave as if it were an HDHomeRun. This would effectively allow you to watch cablecard channels from an HTPC, which is currently for the most part impossible.

I can't imagine this being that hard to do in concept, mainly (I would suppose anyways) piping the mpeg2 output via netcat or something similar, and there's already a system in place (without hacks at all even) for remotely controlling the tuners. Any thoughts from somebody who might be more familiar with this kind of thing?

12-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Check some threads on the "other" board. Centon announced a cable card TV card that will work with Windows 7 Media Center.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/ProductsWMC.php

AlphaWolf
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Check some threads on the "other" board. Centon announced a cable card TV card that will work with Windows 7 Media Center.

Bleh.

I know about the centon thing actually, but it will ONLY work with media center, which IMO is a bit lacking when it comes to features, and very DRM laden.

That and you can't have another PC function as an extender to watch live tv on. You pretty much have to buy an xbox 360 for that.

jt1134
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
related linky (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58385)

AlphaWolf
12-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking here. Have some kind of server running that simply watches the livetv buffers and converts on the fly via s3tots, pipe that over ethernet, and emulate hdhomerun tuning functions this way all software that supports hdhomerun (a lot of software does) would work with this without modification.

Channel surfing would probably suck (guessing 5 second delay minimum between changing channels,) however I've noticed that over the last few years I tend to surf less and less, so I don't see it as being a problem.

xboxilla
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Just noticed this thread and wanted to drop a quick line, this would be a GREAT idea.
HD HomeRun Prime (cablecard) is out soon but as you already know it can only be paired to a single Media Center despite having three tuners, that's due to its DRM where hacked TiVO does not. Same goes for Ceton, only thing you can do is buy media center extenders (xbox360) yikes!