PDA

View Full Version : 2 hacked tivos - MRV for older shows?

philhu
12-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi

If I use the CSO patch to allow unencrypted recordings, on both machines, will MRV work between them?

Will MRV work between them for older, encrypted shows, still stored on them? I ask because I have a bunch of recordings on these machines, already there/encrypted, and I want to be able to move them around between tivos also.

philhu
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Bump

Anyone know the answer?

Jamie
01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I think the answer may be platform and software version specific. Are these standalone or DirectTivo units? Series2, Series3 or cross platform transfers? The best way to find out may be to run some tests. I can test S2->S3, S3->S2, and S3->S3. I'll have to take out the no-encrypt patch to create some encrypted shows to test with.

tivo4mevo
01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Judging by philhu's posts here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=305537#post305537) and here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=305604#post305604), one can assume his question refers to native S3 MRV transfers.

So to elaborate upon what Jamie wrote, with NoCSO and the superpatch applied, one should expect the following behaviour:

Native S3 MRV (i.e., MRV between two S3 units) requires both units have (or alternatively, not have) the NoCSO patch applied and that the video to be transferred has been recorded since applying (or removing) the patch. In other words, native S3 MRV between one unit with the NoCSO patch and one without the NoCSO patch will not work (the recording will appear to transfer successfully but will not play back--instead the video is a black screen with no advancement of the playbar). Additionally, even if both units have the NoCSO patch, recordings made prior to patching will fail in the aforementioned way.

Native S2 MRV software version 9.x+ (i.e., MRV between two S2 units) behaviour is identical to Native S3 MRV above.

Cross-series MRV (i.e., transfers between a S2 and S3 unit using TTG/TTCB) does not depend upon both units having (or not having) the NoCSO patch. Recordings will transfer correctly irrespective of current NoCSO patch status and irrespective of the NoCSO patch status at the time the recording was made.

For all older software versions (7.x and below, including DirecTV units running sw 4.x or 6.2x), I believe that the NoCSO/superpatch should allow both encrypted and unencrypted recordings to transfer via MRV, provided that both units have the same patches applied (i.e., either both are superpatched or both are not superpatched).

Jamie
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the details tivo4mevo.

Sounds like there may be room for some improved patches. Maybe a less brute force no-encrypt patch, or perhaps something that could force non-native transfers for encrypted shows, even between tivos of the same series.

philhu
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Jamie, right....

The S3<->S3 both running the NoCSO patch NOT being able to transfer encrypted shows BEFORE the patch is a dealbreaker.

The encrypt/decrypt code seems to be completely neutered with the patch. It should be able to revert to the encrypted behavior for older recordings.

BTW, these are 2 TivoHD units running FiOS cablecards and 11.0d

tivo4mevo
01-09-2010, 02:42 PM
It would be ideal if the NoCSO patch allowed MRV transfers of encrypted shows. I'm not the author of the patch, so I don't know how difficult such a refinement would be (or if it's even possible).

One can always extract encrypted recordings using TTG, decrypt them, and then TTCB them into another unit (though admittedly less convenient).

philhu
01-12-2010, 12:51 PM
It would be ideal if the NoCSO patch allowed MRV transfers of encrypted shows. I'm not the author of the patch, so I don't know how difficult such a refinement would be (or if it's even possible).

One can always extract encrypted recordings using TTG, decrypt them, and then TTCB them into another unit (though admittedly less convenient).

Well, for one of my Tivos, TTG does NOT work. I own TivoDesktop Plus and about 90% of my transfers fail in the middle. I actually hacked the Tivo to look at the log. It shows 'Connection reset by peer', and NO RETRY. TCP/IP is designed for a fer transient failures, but the Tivo software fails on ANY packet failure. I even tried to connect the Tivo DIRECTLY to the pc using a crossover cable (after getting addresses), still fails

My boss has a tivohd at home, same problems, and lots of people have reported this to Tivo.

That is why a NoCSO patch that can recognize and allow already encrypted files to transfer would be ideal. I think the patch is 'too high' in the decision tree for what to and not to encrypt/decrypt

There are alot of unused 'TivoBits' that you can set for programs, maybe the patch can set one of the unused ones to mark a non-encrypted program, then it could be checked before the patch is executed or not?

Of course, this is all way over my head. I program, and I used to program the slice stuff for Canada Tivo groups, so I know there are quite a few bits not used in the program attributes fields (an example is the 'Cable in the classroom' bit, added in v4 of the software, but never used and never checked).