PDA

View Full Version : Snow leopard .ty files to .mp4

delray
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
I used to use TiVo tool to pull down recordings so I could add them to iTunes but it no longer works under snow leopard due to an issue with a perl library. I have installed mfs_ftp on my directv series 2 TiVo and can pull down files in .ty or .tmf format. I want to convert these to h264 encoded files.

I have tried using some of the tools that ship with tivotool the command line version but some of them don't work on SL. I have also tried ffmpeg and have not been successful.

VLC will play the videos but I haven't been able to convert to another format.

Any thoughts?

Roger Dylan
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I have installed mfs_ftp on my directv series 2 TiVo and can pull down files in .ty or .tmf format. I want to convert these to h264 encoded files.

VLC will play the videos but I haven't been able to convert to another format.

Any thoughts?tytompeg will convert either ty's or tmf's to mpeg2. No transcoding. There is a Mac version if you search here. I like to clean them up in VideoRedo (under Windows emulation) via their QSF (quick stream fix) tool. You could then convert the fairly solid mpeg2 to h264, further lossy-compressing an already lossy-compressed file, if you would really want to do that.

VLC is working for you on ty's? I've had no luck in recent years. My playback usually fails, freezes or aborts, at the noise between segments, if not the first join then the second or third, rarely making it through a movie any more. And MPlayer enhanced for Mac has been broken for the last several versions, hash lines through the video. So I don't try much to watch ty's any more, I batch tytompeg and QSF whatever's been collected every couple of weeks.

delray
02-13-2010, 01:58 PM
tytompeg will convert either ty's or tmf's to mpeg2. No transcoding. There is a Mac version if you search here.

Tytompeg does not work on snow leopard unfortunately.

Roger Dylan
02-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Tytompeg does not work on snow leopard unfortunately.Works fine for me. The machine I use it on routinely happens to be 10.5.8, but I just picked a random ty and tried it on a Mac Mini with 10.6.2 and the file converted without incident.

As I recollect there's a Mac-specific tytompg thread here. Make sure you get the most recent version; it was still being worked on into 2009, I believe.

delray
02-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Works fine for me. The machine I use it on routinely happens to be 10.5.8, but I just picked a random ty and tried it on a Mac Mini with 10.6.2 and the file converted without incident.

As I recollect there's a Mac-specific tytompg thread here. Make sure you get the most recent version; it was still being worked on into 2009, I believe.

I have tried .19 and .21 on my imac and both give me an illegal instruction error. I will try them on my macbook.

delray
02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I downloaded the version on this page http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53493&page=4 and am running it now ... hopefully it works. Thanks for the tip on the thread.

Roger Dylan
02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I downloaded the version on this page http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53493&page=4 and am running it now ... hopefully it works. Thanks for the tip on the thread.I just took a look at my notes, and I'm using a version compiled by bcc (the author) and posted here on 3/21/2009.