PDA

View Full Version : standalone drmcheck for non tivo ?

tiver
04-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I am not currently running a tivo, but I have a huge backlog on my unix fileserver of old tmf files that I am going to start converting with s3tots.

I'm running into some trouble with some of them, and I'd like a quick sanity check on the files - is there a way to run the 'drmcheck.tcl' script on a generic unix system ?

Is it a plain old tcl file that should work in any unix environment ?

Thanks.

tiver
04-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I know what you're thinking ... "why don't you just run it and see"

Well, the problem is that my unix fileserver does not have tcl installed on it, and it is an embedded system running off of a flash card. So while I can install tcl, it's not trivial, and I don't want to install it just as an experiment.

So, can anyone confirm or deny that drmcheck.tcl can run on a standard unix system ?

If not, is there a unix equivalent that I can run to check DRM on files off of the tivo ?

Thanks.

Jamie
04-28-2010, 01:44 PM
drmcheck.tcl uses tivosh MFS extensions to walk through the list of recordings. You could certainly write a version that didn't use those extensions, if you wanted to, probably using mfs_streams instead to get the list of recordings and parts to check.

Another possibility would be to rewrite the whole thing in C, as was done with ciphercheck. That would certainly run faster. If all you care about is knowing whether each part is encrypted or not, ciphercheck may work for you as is.

tiver
04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes, all I care about is whether a particular .tmf file is encrypted or not.

Do you have a link to the binary ciphercheck source, so I can compile it ? I can only find the .tcl version of ciphercheck...

Thanks.

Jamie
04-28-2010, 08:15 PM
You'll have to check it out from CVS on sourceforge as described in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=300379&highlight=tag#post300379) post.

AlphaWolf
04-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I think it would be easier to just write a bash script that checks the tystream magic. Have tar extract the first four bytes of the first part, hexdump, compare.

Jamie
04-29-2010, 01:10 AM
I think it would be easier to just write a bash script that checks the tystream magic. Have tar extract the first four bytes of the first part, hexdump, compare.You still need to walk through the list of recordings in some way, which probably means using mfs-utils. If you are going to compile an mfs64 version of mfs-utils anyway, you might as well use ciphercheck to do it, which is written in C and is much faster than a scripted solution.

philhu
04-30-2010, 04:56 PM
This is UNIX

Make a file list to a file using ls

Grep/Sed it into a batch script to do the tar or dd thingie piped to hexdump

Look at results for each item

Piece of cake

jt1134
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
some example perl code for a similar purpose (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=304826&postcount=4)

AlphaWolf
05-01-2010, 01:18 AM
You still need to walk through the list of recordings in some way, which probably means using mfs-utils. If you are going to compile an mfs64 version of mfs-utils anyway, you might as well use ciphercheck to do it, which is written in C and is much faster than a scripted solution.

I thought he's just dealing with a bunch of tmf files on a regular unix filesystem?

Jamie
05-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I thought he's just dealing with a bunch of tmf files on a regular unix filesystem?Sorry, I guess I misunderstood and thought he had a tivo disk he was trying to extract from on a linux server.