PDA

View Full Version : Searching for signal on sat 2, Phillips DSR704

nobody291
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm running the instantcake 6.2 software with PTVnet. Everything has worked great for several years.

For about a week now, I haven't been able to get a signal through Sat input 2. I tried swapping the cables between sat 1 and sat 2 but the problem persists on sat 2, which seems to mean that the cabling and dish alignment are fine. When I do a signal strength test on transponder 12, it shows 95% for input 1 and 0% for input 2. If I check an odd numbered transponder, both input 1 and 2 show normal (90%+).

When I go back through guided setup, sat in 1 is ok, but sat in 2 shows "right side not detected". I've restarted the DVR several times, but the problem persists.

In my forum searches here and at DVRupgrade, I've seen the problems with S-video, and I tried disconnecting it, with no improvement. In fact, I disconnected everything from the back of the DVR except for the two satellite input coaxes, the video composite cable and the power cord. Nothing helped.

It seems to me that it has to be a hardware issue. Is there much chance that reinstalling the instantcake software would help or that upgrading to 6.4 would help? The strange thing to me is that it just won't receive the even numbered transponders (presumably these are the "right side" referred to in the message above). If it received nothing, then I'd be more convinced that it was purely a hardware issue.

I have a spare DSR704, which I could move the hard drive to, but this would require a clear and delete everything, right? Would I be able to move the hard drive and boot to see if I could receive on both satellite inputs in the spare receiver before doing a clear and delete everything (i.e. what functionality will I have after moving the hard drive to the spare receiver before it requires a CDE)?

Any and all suggestions/input welcome.

Thanks, Eric

snake98
04-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I dought a clear and delete everything will work. You have hacked the box, you should just be able to move the hard drive if you turned off encryption. The other possibility is that the power supply is going out. If you have a spare, switch he power supply.

PlainBill
04-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm running the instantcake 6.2 software with PTVnet. Everything has worked great for several years.

For about a week now, I haven't been able to get a signal through Sat input 2. I tried swapping the cables between sat 1 and sat 2 but the problem persists on sat 2, which seems to mean that the cabling and dish alignment are fine. When I do a signal strength test on transponder 12, it shows 95% for input 1 and 0% for input 2. If I check an odd numbered transponder, both input 1 and 2 show normal (90%+).

When I go back through guided setup, sat in 1 is ok, but sat in 2 shows "right side not detected". I've restarted the DVR several times, but the problem persists.

In my forum searches here and at DVRupgrade, I've seen the problems with S-video, and I tried disconnecting it, with no improvement. In fact, I disconnected everything from the back of the DVR except for the two satellite input coaxes, the video composite cable and the power cord. Nothing helped.

It seems to me that it has to be a hardware issue. Is there much chance that reinstalling the instantcake software would help or that upgrading to 6.4 would help? The strange thing to me is that it just won't receive the even numbered transponders (presumably these are the "right side" referred to in the message above). If it received nothing, then I'd be more convinced that it was purely a hardware issue.

I have a spare DSR704, which I could move the hard drive to, but this would require a clear and delete everything, right? Would I be able to move the hard drive and boot to see if I could receive on both satellite inputs in the spare receiver before doing a clear and delete everything (i.e. what functionality will I have after moving the hard drive to the spare receiver before it requires a CDE)?

Any and all suggestions/input welcome.

Thanks, Eric
This was a common problem with the non-RID DirecTiVos, but it's unusual on a RID unit. I'd try two things. Load 62small.mfs (https://www.yousendit.com/download/OHo1M25OdENubHl4dnc9PQ) from AlphaWolf on a drive and try that (it will fit on a drive as small as 1 Gig). While you have the DirecTiVo open, check the caps in the power supply. If one has a bulging top, replace it.

PlainBill

nobody291
04-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, will try that over the next few days.

I recently replaced the power supply (that's why I have the spare...I needed it to replace the power supply in my existing unit). So, I only have one good one, hopefully that's not it!

Does anyone have experience with moving the hard drive to a different receiver? It will require a CDE, right? Any comments on how much functionality I'll have without doing the CDE? Will I at least be able to see if it can receive on both tuners?

Thanks, Eric

PlainBill
04-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, will try that over the next few days.

I recently replaced the power supply (that's why I have the spare...I needed it to replace the power supply in my existing unit). So, I only have one good one, hopefully that's not it!

Does anyone have experience with moving the hard drive to a different receiver? It will require a CDE, right? Any comments on how much functionality I'll have without doing the CDE? Will I at least be able to see if it can receive on both tuners?

Thanks, Eric
It depends on the level of hacking you have done. If you have applied teh CSO hack to the original drive you can view your recordings but won't be able to record. Running AlphaWolf's 51Killer will remove that limitation.

If I recall correctly, if the drive is unhacked you won't be able to record anything, but I believe you can use both tuners by alternating between channels 100 and 101. This should be possible even if the receiver is unsubscribed.

PlainBill

nobody291
05-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks once again. I tried 62small, and still had the same problem with not receiving half of the transponders through Sat In 2. So, when I know that I'll have lots of time to deal with the potential pitfalls, I'll move the hard drive and power supply to the spare box, and hopefully that will allow the use of both tuners.

If I need 51killer, can I apply it after the move? I located a copy to download (from tivocommunity); then, I searched for instructions on using it, and found references to them, but not the instructions themselves. Are they still available online somewhere?

I'll post back when I'm done with how things turn out.

PlainBill
05-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks once again. I tried 62small, and still had the same problem with not receiving half of the transponders through Sat In 2. So, when I know that I'll have lots of time to deal with the potential pitfalls, I'll move the hard drive and power supply to the spare box, and hopefully that will allow the use of both tuners.

If I need 51killer, can I apply it after the move? I located a copy to download (from tivocommunity); then, I searched for instructions on using it, and found references to them, but not the instructions themselves. Are they still available online somewhere?

I'll post back when I'm done with how things turn out.

51Killer can be run either as the last step before moving the drive, or after the drive is moved. Note that the drive must be hacked to run it.

PlainBill

nobody291
06-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Ok, well I can't believe it took me almost 2 months to get around to it, but the problem is fixed. I know the experts on the forum aren't too interested in my experience, but in case someone like me comes along in the future, here are the details:

I moved the power supply and hard drive from the problematic box to the other box I had acquired on craigslist (figured it would be easier to move the PS and HD rather than the motherboard from the "new" box). I fired up the tivo and presto, signals were received on both tuners!

I was getting the error 51 message, which wouldn't allow me to record or watch recorded shows, so I needed to run 51killer. I kept running it, but was getting "Not Changing Anything" as a reply. I did a google search and quickly came across the solution for this. See this thread for complete instructions:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=360971

Make sure to UNcheck that box referenced on the Connection menu in putty.

I rebooted and now message 51 was gone.

I needed to call directv and have them activate the new receiver on my account in order to watch/record TV (it's a new receiver if it has a different motherboard associated with the access card).

So, I'm totally back up and running. Thanks again for the replies in the thread.

PlainBill
06-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Ok, well I can't believe it took me almost 2 months to get around to it, but the problem is fixed. I know the experts on the forum aren't too interested in my experience, but in case someone like me comes along in the future, here are the details:

I moved the power supply and hard drive from the problematic box to the other box I had acquired on craigslist (figured it would be easier to move the PS and HD rather than the motherboard from the "new" box). I fired up the tivo and presto, signals were received on both tuners!

I was getting the error 51 message, which wouldn't allow me to record or watch recorded shows, so I needed to run 51killer. I kept running it, but was getting "Not Changing Anything" as a reply. I did a google search and quickly came across the solution for this. See this thread for complete instructions:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=360971

Make sure to UNcheck that box referenced on the Connection menu in putty.

I rebooted and now message 51 was gone.

I needed to call directv and have them activate the new receiver on my account in order to watch/record TV (it's a new receiver if it has a different motherboard associated with the access card).

So, I'm totally back up and running. Thanks again for the replies in the thread.
Thanks for the update, and the information. You've confirmed the same tuner problem exists on the RID models.

PlainBill