Go to RadioShack and buy this items:
D-subminiature connector hood Cat. No. 276-1539D
D-Subminiature connector 9 position Female Cat. No. 276-1538C
6 Ft. 1/8" stereo extension audio cable Cat. No. 42-2387A

Solder the following:
Tip Red wire -> pin2
middle black wire -> pin3
outer ring silver wire -> pin5

That's it. Now you have your own cable for under $5 bucks.

I hope this helps somebody out. =)

Just want to thank all the guys on this great board for all the great work they've been doing to help out others like me. Especially Surgeon for extreme2.5.

Cellmix

markw98
12-18-2001, 12:32 AM
Ha! I used a few left over parts from my one chip dss emulators:

50ft telephone wire
1 RJ11 -> db9 connector
1 RJ11 telephone wire end.

assembled it all in five mins and was connected.

Pretty slick

Thanks Tivo!

ID_MAn
12-18-2001, 12:21 PM
The serial cable that comes with Kodak digital cameras (and other serial devices) has the correct pinout.

Pointfreak!
12-18-2001, 01:45 PM
TIP: If you use CAT5, put the transmit and recieve on a different pair, and split the ground between the two, you can make a VERY long cable!

dosed
12-18-2001, 03:51 PM
the cable that comes with phillips pronto remote works as well

dosed
12-18-2001, 04:02 PM
the cable that comes with phillips pronto remote works as well

LightCC
09-21-2005, 01:04 AM
For the record...

If you don't have the parts from radio shack, but you are an electronics/computer packrat, you can use the following:

1. For the audio connector:

Just cut the wire off an old set of headphones with the 3.5 mm jack. I had a couple old headphones sitting around with shorts in one of the wires or broken ear pieces that I could use...

If they have shorts just cut a few inch stub of the wire attached to the plug. Strip the wires to reveal the left/right channels and the ground should be with each channel. Just tie the ground from each channel together and feed that into pin 5 of the serial cable side (and case ground if you choose to).

Note that the red/white wiring may be opposite of what is listed in the first post - mine was.

2. For the Serial connector:

Got an old serial mouse sitting around somewhere? Or know a computer geek that might? Ask him. I had no less than 7 - count 'em, SEVEN, old serial mice sitting in my basement doing nothing.

So I picked the two that looked the least like they might ever be put back to use and opened up the mouse housing (removing 2 screws each and popping the plastic housing off).

One had the cable split out into 4 wires and soldered to the board, so I would have had to cut it. The other happened to have 6 wires plugged into the mouse board via a connector. All I had to do was unplug the connector to get my wire. I then popped the individual wires with their crimp connectors out of the plastic connector housing and used them as a convenient place to solder.

3. Determine which wires are what.

At this point I had to get out the ohm meter and determine which wires were 2, 3, and 5. The outer ground could probably also be connected to wire 5 (case ground) for better transmission characteristics.

I also double checked the speaker jack and wires and found out that red and white were opposite of the above directions. Other than that, connected the stereo plug to the serial mouse cable as per the initial directions in this post and everything worked first try out.

Now to get out my left over cat5 cable and make a nice long serial cable that will stretch from my office to the downstairs TIVO...

serach words: "How to make your own TIVO Serial Cable adapter"