PDA

View Full Version : Best way to put series3hd content into a series 1 using a mac to convert data

adspguy
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I have two old philips series 1 tivos which have been well used for the last decade, they have been hacked and lovingly transferring videos between themselves using mfs_ftp for most of that time. In the last couple of years, I got a series3hd and an hd-xl to replace them. I have been able to transfer programs from the series 1's to the series 3's with no problem. I can get content off the series 3's using iTivo and/or pytivo on my mac or linux boxes.

So here's the thing. I am still using one of the series 1 boxes in my exercise room with a cable box converting digital content. I sometimes would like to grab a program that I only recorded on the hd boxes to view on the series 1. I can't seem to find a working copy of ffmpeg with the ty format support which will work on my intel based mac. I thought ty support was added to the trunk, but that is not the case. I figured I could use ffmpeg to convert the format, rate, audio, 16:9-4:3 etc.

Before I spend a bunch of time trying to compile and get working ffmpeg, I was wondering if you folks had any better ideas? Is there something out there that works? Does anyone know if mencoder used by iTivo can create something that I can insert to the series1 with mfs_ftp? Anyone have a ty-ffmpeg that will work on an snowleopard intel mac?
Thanks!