PDA

View Full Version : series 2 restore

rkshack
06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I am helping a friend fix a tivo with a bad drive. I am trying a dd copy but there are a lot of errors popping up. If this fails I have a backup of my hdr612. Can I use that image to fix the series 2? If not does anyone have one I can use?

Rkshack

PlainBill
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I am helping a friend fix a tivo with a bad drive. I am trying a dd copy but there are a lot of errors popping up. If this fails I have a backup of my hdr612. Can I use that image to fix the series 2? If not does anyone have one I can use?

Rkshack

The image from the HDR612 will not work in the Series 2.

If the straight dd fails, try using either ddrescue or MFStools to copy the original drive to the target drive.

If you still need an image, try the image begging thread in the Newbie subforum (nothing persona) l :) or you can buy one from DVRupgrade. Make sure you know the exact model of series 2.

PlainBill

rkshack
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
The image from the HDR612 will not work in the Series 2.

If the straight dd fails, try using either ddrescue or MFStools to copy the original drive to the target drive.

If you still need an image, try the image begging thread in the Newbie subforum (nothing persona) l :) or you can buy one from DVRupgrade. Make sure you know the exact model of series 2.

PlainBill

Thanks. Its been a long time since I have had to do it and I forgot about ddrescue if the dd fails. I have not done a lot of work on series 2s.

I thought the software would be the same between single tuner series 2s. Is this not true?

rkshack

PlainBill
06-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks. Its been a long time since I have had to do it and I forgot about ddrescue if the dd fails. I have not done a lot of work on series 2s.

I thought the software would be the same between single tuner series 2s. Is this not true?

rkshack

IF you use the terminology correctly, it is true. However, the popular 'nightlight' models are often referred to as Series 2. They use different hardware and are more correctly known as Series 2.5 models. So I say, 'Make sure you get the software for the correct model.'

PlainBill

unitron
06-28-2010, 03:33 AM

Rkshack

What's the model number of your friend's machine?

Also, if trying to copy iffy drive, you might have better luck running ddrescue in reverse (or dd_rescue, I forget at the moment which is which).