PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Premier capabilites versus Series 3

drmuzik
08-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Omikron, are you still working on the hack for the Series 4? I got my first Tivo the other day (Premier XL) due to the fact that it boasts you can stream recorded TV on any computer. Well, wouldn't you know it, Time Warner marks ALL their TV shows as copy protected (CCI Encryption, I think it's called) so I can't watch anything anywhere except on the Tivo itself. Do you know any way around this yet? This is a huge pain :D

drmuzik
08-09-2010, 09:13 AM
drmuzik: No offense intended but CCI problems (especially with Time Warner) and the lack of a work around for the TiVo Premiere are both common knowledge in the TiVo world. It might have been better if you had asked the day before you bought the unit!

No offense taken! I am a completely Tivo newbie. I read on their website that you could watch recorded TV from any computer and took them at their word.

I'm curious why you didn't get a TiVo HD?
I didn't know until now that an older model would be a better model =/ As I said, I'm a newbie. I guess my best two options at this point would be to either
1) Get a hacked Tivo HD and sell my Premier XL
or
2) Keep the Premier XL, ditch Time Warner, and get all my TV from Usenet.

psxboy
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
No offense taken! I am a completely Tivo newbie. I read on their website that you could watch recorded TV from any computer and took them at their word.

I didn't know until now that an older model would be a better model =/ As I said, I'm a newbie. I guess my best two options at this point would be to either
1) Get a hacked Tivo HD and sell my Premier XL
or
2) Keep the Premier XL, ditch Time Warner, and get all my TV from Usenet.

Or:

3) Keep the Premier XL and buy a Slingbox.

;)

-psxboy

ciper
08-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Are you still within the period in which you can return the premier?

drmuzik
08-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes, I can return the Premier.

Would a Slingbox work through to allow me to watch my recorded TV on any computer and over the web from my Premier even though the recordings are all CCI Protected?

ciper
08-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Yes it would with two catches,
Anyone sitting at your TV would be stuck watching the same program that was being displayed by the slingbox
You can only watch shows when you have an internet connection at both ends (no offline viewing)

I'm biased but I vote for a modified TiVo HD :)

drmuzik
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I looked into Slingbox more after that option was presented and decided it's probably not for me. The idea I have is not to make someone else suffer through a TV show at the TV while I am watching that same show in another room. If that's the case, I might as well just watch it in the living room with that person! <gasp>

I need a crack for the CCI Encription. =/

Heinrich
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
There are $99 Tivo HDs hanging around Blockbuster Video right now with proven hackable results and easily upgraded hard drives. I've bought a few here there and yonder :)

drmuzik
08-23-2010, 05:52 PM
So I guess my main question then is... if I downgrade back to the Tivo HD and either get a hacked one or hack it myself, does the hack include bypassing the Time Warner encryption so I can do what I want with my recorded programs?

And then a secondary question, what cool features of the Premier will I not have in the regular HD model?

StanSimmons
08-24-2010, 10:52 AM
So I guess my main question then is... if I downgrade back to the Tivo HD and either get a hacked one or hack it myself, does the hack include bypassing the Time Warner encryption so I can do what I want with my recorded programs?

And then a secondary question, what cool features of the Premier will I not have in the regular HD model?
Yes, one of the hacks available is the CCI byte hack which allows you to pull any show (recorded after the hack) off the TiVoHD.

The premier has an optional HD user interface, disk space meter, 1080p, live video in menus and a faster processor.

ronnythunder
08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
relocated posts from dev forum into this new support thread; please continue any discussion here.

ronny

Omikron
08-28-2010, 02:35 AM
relocated posts from dev forum into this new support thread; please continue any discussion here.

ronny

Thanks ronny. :-)

lrhorer
09-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, one of the hacks available is the CCI byte hack which allows you to pull any show (recorded after the hack) off the TiVoHD.
Actually, there are two separate hacks which allow this using different methods. The CCI byte hack allows one to transfer what would normally be non-transferable shows via the native MRV and TTG routines by diabling the CCI byte. The NoCSO hack disables encryption, so one can transfer shows using third party applications like mfs_ftp and tserver. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but are not exclusive.

Note the NoCSO hack, enabled by itself, does not allow transferring shows with CCI > 0 using the native utilities, and breaks the transferring of shows with CCI = 0 to and from units without the NoCSO hack.

The premier has an optional HD user interface, disk space meter, 1080p, live video in menus and a faster processor.
IOW, nothing useful.

StanSimmons
09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Actually, there are two separate hacks which allow this using different methods. The CCI byte hack allows one to transfer what would normally be non-transferable shows via the native MRV and TTG routines by diabling the CCI byte. The NoCSO hack disables encryption, so one can transfer shows using third party applications like mfs_ftp and tserver. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but are not exclusive.

Note the NoCSO hack, enabled by itself, does not allow transferring shows with CCI > 0 using the native utilities, and breaks the transferring of shows with CCI = 0 to and from units without the NoCSO hack.

I chose to do the CCI byte hack to maintain compatibility with unmodified TiVoHD's. If I had used the NoCSO hack, I would not have been able to transfer and play the show onto a stock TiVoHD. With the CCI byte hack I can transfer and watch shows onto my unmodified TiVoHD.

lrhorer
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I chose to do the CCI byte hack to maintain compatibility with unmodified TiVoHD's. If I had used the NoCSO hack, I would not have been able to transfer and play the show onto a stock TiVoHD. With the CCI byte hack I can transfer and watch shows onto my unmodified TiVoHD.
'Perfectly reasonable. All my transferring is done to and from the server, so I'm not concerned about MRV to unhacked TiVos. The tserver utility is much faster than TTG, and TyTool is much more convenient for managing the content than the HMO/HME utilities, but if anyone has unhacked TiVos and wants to do MRV, the the CCI hack is the way to go.

marcolisi
11-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Help, I am completely lost :-( I have tivo premiere..... I would like to CCI byte hack it...is there any way pls to do so ? Thank you

lrhorer
11-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Nope, sorry. At this point it is not looking good for a practical solution to DRM on the Premiere systems, and there certainly is not currently any such solution. That is why I never recommend that anyone purchase the Premiere.

marcolisi
06-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi there, would u guys suggest to buy a series 3 tivo to bypass the DRM ?

Thank you

lrhorer
06-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Yes. Note you will need to replce the PROM and then hack the TiVo.