PDA

View Full Version : S3 remote doesn't work anymore!

ray08
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
It's weird. It worked when I went to bed and didn't work the next day when I got home from work.

Normally, when a key on the remote is pressed, the Tivo flashes an LED on the box. The Tivo remote still controls my TV volume and mute, but the Tivo box doesn't light the LED now, whether I'm controlling the TV or trying to control the Tivo.

Something else I noticed. When I power off and then on, in the center of the display I saw a skull with 2 antenna, instead of the Tivo logo! I'm very much believing my S3 just died. BTW, all functionality of the box appears to be there, except the remote control. Without remote control, a Tivo is almost useless. I have another glow remote on order to verify the remote is not the cause of the problem.

I also took the front panel off and inspected it for lose connections...no luck there.

Unfortunately, this is a S3 that Omikron recently prom modded. I am really hoping that the problem is in the PCB of the front panel, cause if it's on the motherboard, I'm SOL! Is there anyone out there that can troubleshoot and repair a MB?

woracan
09-10-2010, 06:32 AM
please delete this reply

mike_s
09-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Something else I noticed. When I power off and then on, in the center of the display I saw a skull with 2 antenna, instead of the Tivo logo! I'm very much believing my S3 just died.Like this?
http://brokenpixel.net/tivoskull.gif
See here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57955

Omikron
09-13-2010, 12:03 AM
It's weird. It worked when I went to bed and didn't work the next day when I got home from work.

Normally, when a key on the remote is pressed, the Tivo flashes an LED on the box. The Tivo remote still controls my TV volume and mute, but the Tivo box doesn't light the LED now, whether I'm controlling the TV or trying to control the Tivo.

Something else I noticed. When I power off and then on, in the center of the display I saw a skull with 2 antenna, instead of the Tivo logo! I'm very much believing my S3 just died. BTW, all functionality of the box appears to be there, except the remote control. Without remote control, a Tivo is almost useless. I have another glow remote on order to verify the remote is not the cause of the problem.

I also took the front panel off and inspected it for lose connections...no luck there.

Unfortunately, this is a S3 that Omikron recently prom modded. I am really hoping that the problem is in the PCB of the front panel, cause if it's on the motherboard, I'm SOL! Is there anyone out there that can troubleshoot and repair a MB?

Although I've never seen that issue with modern TiVo's (third generation and newer) I do recall that some S2's have had failed IR receivers in the past. It's possible that this is the case for you.

As far as the TiVo skull goes...not to worry. You probably got one of my slightly "more" modified PROM's by accident. I originally only programmed the skull icon into my own TiVo, but it's possible one of the chips got mixed in with the rest of the batch. It's purely aesthetic and doesn't affect functionality in any way. :-)

Even if your board has a bad IR receiver, do not worry. TiVo's new sliding keyboard remote works with the Series3 and communicates over Bluetooth instead of IR, so you can simply "upgrade" your remote in order to keep using the box.

captain_video
09-16-2010, 08:39 AM
This may seem like a dumb question but is there a chance you accidentally reprogrammed the remote with a different IR codeset than the Tivo? Try these options and see if it works.

If your remote has a switch to control more than one Tivo, make sure it's in the right position. If it is and the remote still doesn't work, try the following:

1. Use the front panel controls and navigate to the System Information screen. Scroll down until you see the IR code/remote address displayed.

2. Point the remote away from the Tivo (I usually hold it against a pillow or couch cushion) and press the Tivo and Pause buttons simultaneously and keep holding them until the LED at the tip of the remote comes on and stays on.

3. Point the remote at the Tivo and press "0".

4. Press the right cursor arrow on the Tivo remote to set the code.

If the IR receiver is still functioning your remote should now work with the Tivo.