PDA

View Full Version : Best/Easiest Way: TiVoHD to Blu-Ray--help!

Sbmocp
10-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I have about 40 hours of content on my TiVoHD that I'm plan to pull off with MFS_FTP. I want to edit out commercials and generate a compatible file format to write to regular DVDs and Blu-ray discs. I used to use TySuiteJ on my old Series2 DirecTiVos to get the shows off, and it would convert while transferring.

So it appears I'll have to download the shows in some format (Ty+?), then convert, then edit and write discs.

What steps and programs are others using to accomplish this task? I'd love to see a features comparison between different programs and what advantages/disadvantages each method might offer.

lrhorer
10-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Is that a hacked TiVo? I use TyTool to upload, s3tots to convert to .ts, and then Video Redo TV Suite to convert to .mpg and edit commercials. I know it can write to DVDs (I've done a few), and it may support BluRay.

Sbmocp
10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Is that a hacked TiVo? I use TyTool to upload, s3tots to convert to .ts, and then Video Redo TV Suite to convert to .mpg and edit commercials. I know it can write to DVDs (I've done a few), and it may support BluRay.

Yup, the TiVo's hacked. Though now I have a failing hard drive issue as well as a new software update to deal with as well...

Did you mean you use TyTool to download, not upload?

captain_video
10-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Extract the files to your PC using kttmg or Tivo Desktop or any method that suits you. Using either of the aforementioned methods will yield files in .tivo format. TyTools and other methods mentioned in this forum will require that you convert the files using S3tots.

Use VideoReDo to edit and convert the files to .ts or other format compatible with the authoring tool you're using format. From there you can author the files to either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray format for burning to recordable disc. I prefer using Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 6 for authoring.

lgkahn
10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
i extract directly to .ts (there is a version of mfs_ftp that has a patch that does this)
once on the pc. (or use s3tots to convert the .tmf to .ts)
you can read the .ts with either tsmuxer or txremuxer.. and then it is 1 step to create blue ray file structure (create a directory first) set the output to that directory..
choose blue ray.. and start.. it will create a blu ray file structure in about 5 minutes..
depending on size i burn to either a double layer disk or actual blu ray disk now that they are under 2.00 each.

you burn in nero with udf file system set to manual type 2.5...

off course this is no editing of commercials but the process is much faster than the old s2 stuff and you could true dolby 5.1 or dts depending on the source..

lrhorer
10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Extract the files to your PC using kttmg or Tivo Desktop or any method that suits you. Using either of the aforementioned methods will yield files in .tivo format. TyTools and other methods mentioned in this forum will require that you convert the files using S3tots.
I definitely do not recommend TiVo Desktop, but of course there are plenty of other means of transferring via TTG. Transfers are slow with TTG, however. I find TyTool/tserver results in the best management system, although you are of course correct that the resultant .ty files must be converted. It is not necessary for the *USER* to transcode them, however. I have a script running under cron that automatically converts any files it finds in the normal download target directory from .ty files to .ts files in another directory using s3tots. TyTool allows one to select all the files to be transferred, transfer them, and then delete them without having to re-select them all. It easily sorts by date, program title, episode title, etc.

lrhorer
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Yup, the TiVo's hacked. Though now I have a failing hard drive issue as well as a new software update to deal with as well...

Did you mean you use TyTool to download, not upload?
'Depends on how one is looking at the transfer. TyTool can only transfer from the TiVo to the PC, initiated from the PC. Galleon can transfer either direction and can be initiated from either unit, or indeed from any TiVo or PC on the network.

The CCI byte hack is required if your local provider implements CCI protection if you want to utilize a TTG transfer ( Galleon, pyTivo, TDT, etc.). For tserver or mfs_ftp, you will need the NOCSO hack.

lrhorer
10-26-2010, 06:50 PM
i extract directly to .ts (there is a version of mfs_ftp that has a patch that does this)
Do you have a link for this? I looked but could not find it. I like TyTool, but there are times I could make use of mfs_ftp.

lgkahn
10-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Do you have a link for this? I looked but could not find it. I like TyTool, but there are times I could make use of mfs_ftp.

don't remember where i got it.. but did some testing and put two files from one of my boxes that work with .ts to one that doesnt and i got it working.

basically there is a change to mfs_ftp.tcl (maybe i did this change dont remember?)
there is a new fx buildts

proc buildts { recfsid } {
global db info resume ; set p 1
outd 1 "buildts: streaming recobj\{$recfsid\} to data channel \{$info(dc)\}"
fconfigure $info(dc) -translation binary
setpri 1 $info(dc) 1
set j [llength $resume(parts)]
set s $resume(s)
for {set i 0} { $i < $j } { incr i } {
set fsid [lindex $resume(parts) $i]
set c [expr [lindex $resume(sizes) $i] - $s]
outd $p "mfs_tsexport \"$fsid\""
exec $info(path)/mfs_tsexport $fsid >@$info(dc) 2>/dev/null
}
}

and a call to it

proc RETR { fsock line } {
global info db control_socket resume ; set p 2
set line [string range $line 5 end]
outd 1 "RETR:\n\"$line\""
set line [file tail $line] ;
set temp [fsid_from_filename $line]
set recfsid [lindex $temp 0] ; set filetype [lindex $temp 1]
outd $p "recfsid \"$recfsid\" filetype \"$filetype\""
if { $line == "shutdown.txt" } { after 500 exitproc stdout RETR }
if { $line == "phoenix.txt"} { after 500 phoenix_mfs_ftp stdout RETR }
if { [lsearch -exact "tmf ts ty ty+ tyx sps" "$filetype"] != -1 } { }
if { $recfsid == -1 } {
tee $fsock "550 error, can't find \"$line\"" ;
# catch { close $info(dc) }
catch { close $info(dc); unset info(dc) }
return
}
spawn $filetype
tee $fsock "150 About to open data connection."
rec_info_from_db $recfsid
# if { $info($recfsid,State) == 3 } { tee $fsock "550 error, can't extract a recording in progress" ; catch { close $info(dc) } ; return }
if { $info($recfsid,State) == 3 } { tee $fsock "550 error, can't extract a recording in progress" ; catch { close $info(dc); unset info(dc) } ; return }
build_parts_list $recfsid $resume(s)
get_xml $recfsid
switch $filetype {
asx { stream_asx $recfsid }
bat { stream_bat $recfsid }
txt { stream_text $recfsid }
xml { puts -nonewline $info(dc) $info(xml) }
ts { buildts $recfsid }
ty+ { buildty $recfsid }
tyx { buildty $recfsid }
ty { buildty $recfsid }
tmf { stream_tmf $recfsid $info($recfsid,parts) }
default { tee $fsock "550 error, can't find \"$line\"" }
};#end of switch
catch { unset info(xml) }
tee $fsock "226 Transfer complete."
abortcheck "RETR"
}

there are also change sin
build_dir_root and stor (looking now stor appears incorrect as it doesnt handle the case weird)

proc build_dir_root { } {
global info
set root_dir "tmf ts ty ty+ xml txt bat asx";
if { [file exist $info(path)/at] } { lappend root_dir "tyx" }
foreach list "dir_list dir_nlist" { set info($list) "" }
foreach dir $root_dir { append info(dir_nlst) "$dir\r\n"}
foreach dir $root_dir { append info(dir_list) "dr--r--r-- 1 0 0 1024 Jan 01 1972 $dir\r\n" }
append info(dir_list) "-r--r--r-- 1 0 0 0 May 31 19:00 phoenix.txt\r\n"
append info(dir_nlst) "phoenix.txt\r\n"
append info(dir_list) "-r--r--r-- 1 0 0 0 May 31 19:00 shutdown.txt\r\n"
append info(dir_nlst) "shutdown.txt\r\n"
}

proc STOR { fsock line } {
global info control_socket
outd 1 "STOR:\n\"$line\""
set line [string range $line 5 end]
set line [file tail $line]
set choplength [string last . $line]
set filetype [string range $line [expr $choplength +1] end]
if { [lsearch -exact "tmf ts ty ty+ sp" "$filetype"] != -1 } {
if { [lsearch -exact "txt xml sp" "$filetype"] == -1 } {
set newrecording [ make_blank_rec $line]
rec_info_from_db $newrecording
}
tee $fsock "150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for \"{$line}\""
spawn $filetype
switch $filetype {
tmf { parse_tmf $line $fsock $newrecording }
ty { parse_ty+ $line $fsock $newrecording }
ty+ { parse_ty+ $line $fsock $newrecording }
sp { store_sp $line $fsock }
txt { store_txt $line $fsock }
xml { store_xml $line $fsock }
default { }
}
} else {
tee $fsock "550 error, invalid file type for upload"
}
update_rec_fsids
abortcheck "STOR"
}

all changes are in mfs_ftp.tcl
and then a new executable mfs_tsexport

anyway.. here are both my mfs_ftp.tcl and mfs_tsexport attached.. hope this doesnt violate anything..

found the original thread here it is.. credit to bcc

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58805&highlight=mfs_tsexport

tomhayes
10-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I do this - and there's really only one tool to edit commercials that will leave your files in untouched otherwise: VideoRedo. (http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm)

Here's how I do it:
1)Transfer the MPG file from the Tivo to the PC
2)Open the MPEG file in VideoRedo and cut the commercials out (very quick and easy)
3)Save the commercial free files as "elementary stream" which are separate files for the video and the audio. (I do this because I've had audio syncing issues when trying to save as MPG or TS files.)
4)I combine the files (One MPV and one AC3) using tsMuxeR and save it as an M2TS file.
5)The M2TS files can be burned on a DVD or Bluray and they played on PCs and the PS3. To make aBluRay video disc (not just a DVD or BluRay with the files on them) I can use IMGBurn to burn them and it'll ask me if I want to make it a BluRay.

Using this workflow (which requires you buying VideoRedo - free trial available) you can edit the commercials out without ever remuxing. It's very fast compared to remuxing/re-encoding the videos.

IMGBURN doesn't put a menu on the disc - you have to use something else for that.

Sbmocp
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Lots of good info in this thread--thanks to all who have replied.

tomhayes--
Your first step implies that you extract an MPG file off the TiVo. WHat method are you using for this? I used to use TySuiteJ and stream an MPEG to my PC, but from what I'd read I didn't think that program worked well on a TiVoHD.

lgkahn--
Does the mfs_ftp you posted and use employ the "three patches" mentioned in the mfs_ftp thread as well as the changes you mention?

lrhorer--
I'll look into Galleon. Thanks for the tip!

captain_video--
I'll check into the ulead product for burning. Thanks for the recommendation!

tomhayes
10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Lots of good info in this thread--thanks to all who have replied.

tomhayes--
Your first step implies that you extract an MPG file off the TiVo. WHat method are you using for this? I used to use TySuiteJ and stream an MPEG to my PC, but from what I'd read I didn't think that program worked well on a TiVoHD.

First, let me start by saying I have a TiVoHD with the CCI bits disabled.

I also have a macintosh AND a PC. I transfer the files onto my Mac first using a program called iTivo (http://code.google.com/p/itivo/)

It shows me a list of my programs and I just choose which ones I want to download. It pulls them as an MPG file.

Once the files are on my Mac I copy them to the PC to edit the commercials out. I like having the files backed up this way so if something goes wrong (HD crash, accidental deletion/etc) I always have a backup.

lgkahn
10-29-2010, 12:21 PM
lgkahn--
Does the mfs_ftp you posted and use employ the "three patches" mentioned in the mfs_ftp thread as well as the changes you mention?

lrhorer

no they are the same patches.. 1 or the other.. i just explained them in more depth b4 i found the original thread.

as for the person saying convert to mpg to edit commericials.. unless i am mistaken mpg does NOT support dolby 5.1 7.1 etc. sound so when you do this you will loose the original soundtrack.. not highly desired.. the only way i have found to actually edit out the commercials and not loose the soundtrack is with either
video redo or nero. but both re-encode the video so it takes hours and hours.. so i normally dont even bother.. too damn slow..

tomhayes
10-29-2010, 02:31 PM
not highly desired.. the only way i have found to actually edit out the commercials and not loose the soundtrack is with either
video redo or nero. but both re-encode the video so it takes hours and hours.. so i normally dont even bother.. too damn slow..

You can use VideoRedo to edit out commercials from a TiVOHD and it does not NOT re-encode the file.

That's why I bought VideoRedo it saves many, many hours of re-encoding time.

So I take the files from the Tivo, cut the commercials out, use tsMusxer to save them as M2TS files and they're playable perfectly on a BluRay player/PS3 without ever having to re-encode them.

lrhorer
10-30-2010, 09:04 PM
as for the person saying convert to mpg to edit commericials.. unless i am mistaken mpg does NOT support dolby 5.1 7.1 etc. sound so when you do this you will loose the original soundtrack.. not highly desired..
That would be news to me.
From VLC Media Player:
http://fletchergeek.com/images/Dolby.png

From Video Redo TV Suite:
http://fletchergeek.com/images/Dolby2.png

the only way i have found to actually edit out the commercials and not loose the soundtrack is with either
While recoding does take a long time, it is not necessary to recode to retain the Dolby audio, and fast copy is reasonably fast: usually about 80MBps on this system. A three hour, 20Mbps 1080i HD video takes about 20 minutes or so to transcode. Now, copying an HD video to a standard DVD will indeed require a recode, and that may take several hours. Obviously, the faster the processor, the faster the system can perform the operation, and at some point the hard drive subsystem may limit the speed, as well.

AlphaWolf
11-01-2010, 05:11 AM
I'd kill for something like this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52283) that supported random access to the recordings in MFS with on the fly s3tots conversion.

It would work beautifully with e.g. XBMC, MediaPortal, or Boxee. No custom hacks or anything, just a proper tivo side setup, and I'd wager it would be faster than TTG or other similar transfer methods which transfer slower than horse shit.

lrhorer
11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I suppose it would be nice, but my current setup works well enough given something like this is not available. Right now I have five programs queued up for transfer in TyTool to be dumped into the default directory. Every 30 minutes, a cron job runs that has s3tots convert all the .ty files in the TiVo_HD directory to .ts files in the TiVo_TS directory where I will use VideoRedo to cut off the lead-in and tail-out, plus any commercials, transcoding the results to .mpg files in the /RAID/Recordings directory (or one of its subdirectories). It's not 100% automated, but it's as automated as I want to allow it to be.

Sbmocp
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
don't remember where i got it.. but did some testing and put two files from one of my boxes that work with .ts to one that doesnt and i got it working.

<snip>

anyway.. here are both my mfs_ftp.tcl and mfs_tsexport attached.. hope this doesnt violate anything..

found the original thread here it is.. credit to bcc

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58805&highlight=mfs_tsexport

So, as I understand this, I should be able to:
1) Install latest version of mfs_ftp on my TiVoHD;
2) Copy over the files from your archive;
3) Transfer away, no patching, et cetera required?

I tried first installing mfs_ftp and installing the patches to it, but the patch program seemed to hang and not do anything. I then copied your files over and tried running mfs_ftp but got a couple of errors to the console when it ran. (I wrote them down at home but don't have the paperwork here right now).

lgkahn
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
So, as I understand this, I should be able to:
1) Install latest version of mfs_ftp on my TiVoHD;
2) Copy over the files from your archive;
3) Transfer away, no patching, et cetera required?

I tried first installing mfs_ftp and installing the patches to it, but the patch program seemed to hang and not do anything. I then copied your files over and tried running mfs_ftp but got a couple of errors to the console when it ran. (I wrote them down at home but don't have the paperwork here right now).

that patch expects a certain patch level b4 applying it.. so you need to install correct version first.. otherwise i can just send you my complete directory structure..

Sbmocp
11-04-2010, 04:57 PM
that patch expects a certain patch level b4 applying it.. so you need to install correct version first.. otherwise i can just send you my complete directory structure..

Hmm...I'd visited a link to the DVRPedia entry for mfs_ftp here http://www.dvrpedia.com/MFS_FTP and followed their directions. Downloaded all the files they listed and followed the patch directions to a T. I'll try it again tonight, and if I still get no joy, I'll take you up on your kind offer. ;)