PDA

View Full Version : Failing HR10-250 with videos I want to save.

IDisposable
11-18-2010, 03:30 AM
My lovingly stock HR10-250 running 6.4a has started randomly rebooting (usually when I "dare" to select the "Messages and Settings" menu option). Just today it started dropping audio randomly... (and an Instant Replay plays the dropped audio just fine, so it's a playback issue). I suspect a dying drive, so I'm calling DirecTV tomorrow and getting an H24 sent out.

Meanwhile, I've got TONS of stuff on the DirecTiVo that I don't want to lose. I have the space and ability to store them somewhere on my network and play via an HTPC (prefer MPG2 since that's what they really are)... but how do I most efficiently snag them ALL from my current drive/machine?

I have extra PCs and plenty of Linux/Window boot ability. I would rather not risk losing the stuff mid copy, so the ideal in my mind would be to yank the drive and copy directly... not messing with hacking the TiVo itself.

Any advice as to the best path to follow?

PlainBill
11-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Zeroth, I hope you ordered an HR24, the H24 (if there is such an animal) would be a simple receiver, not a DVR.

First, what you propose can't be done without hacking the HR10-250.

Second, You may be correct, it may be a dying drive. The symptoms are a classic match for bad sectors on the drive. I propose the following steps:

1. Open the HR10, identify the manufacturer of the drive. Download their advanced diagnostics image, burn it to CD.

2. Remove the drive from the HR10 and install it in a computer. Boot from the advanced diagnostics cd, and run a low level non-destructive media analysis. This will remap any bad sectors and replace them with reserve sectors.

3. Test the drive in the HR10. It will probably work perfectly. If it does not, remove it and use 'ddrescue' to copy the original drive to a new drive and test that.

Third, if you still want to extract the recordings, more steps are required. More extensive information is in the extraction forum. Briefly, the shows are encrypted. To copy them from the drive it will be necessary to hack the drive, monte into special kernel which has the capability to capture the decryption key, then copy the recording to a computer. This is NOT a trivial project.

PlainBill

IDisposable
11-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Yes, HR24, sorry for the typo...

Looks like it was (at minimum) the power supply. I had another old dead-ish HR10-250 in the basement... took the fan and power supply out of that one and put it in my active unit and things seem to be running good for now... but now my nerves are up, so I'm going to proceed with the hacking process.

Thanks for the pointers on hard-drive stuff... it is a WD250, and I'll run the diagnostics on the dead-machine's drive and then clone over to it before proceeding with the hacking.

Is the best process these days to use TySuiteJ (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53760) to get the stuff fetched?

Any idea what USB ethernet adapter I should get (and where, these days)? I would like to go wired, as there's already a ethernet switch in the AV cabinet. I was thinking this one (http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/accessory_nomodel.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=341)

Do I use MFS_FTP (http://www.dvrpedia.com/MFS_FTP) to get things started?

Do I need to do the unencrypt stuff here (http://www.dvrpedia.com/Unencrypt/Unscramble_Existing_Recordings)?

PlainBill
11-19-2010, 12:04 PM
You actually have a wide range of options. As I recall, the HR10 will continue to play recordings (and can be used to record OTA broadcasts) after the card is disabled. That would be the simplest solution if you have an available HDMI or Component input on your TV.

As far as the extraction process is concerned, I believe it would involve monteing from a killhdinitrd kernel into a custome kernel. You would have to view the first few seconds of a recording, then begin extraction; probably with MFS-FTP.

As far as the adapter is concerned, the Netgear was considered the best. Several equivalent units using the same chipset also worked well. I know I have several of the clones around; they became unnecessary when I retired my SD-DVRs.

PlainBill