PDA

View Full Version : Paid Service for data recovery of DirecTiVo?

dizzysoul
11-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Hello. I have a DirecTiVo HR10-250 that no longer works. The hard drive is full of very important recordings and shows that I need for my work. I've read many discussions on these forums on DIY data extraction from the pulled Tivo hard drive, but it seems like a huge undertaking, and many of the needed files are from several years ago, and the links are broken.

Is there any way I can ship my Tivo hard drive to someone more skilled in extracting the data, and pay them for their services? How much would this cost? The data is very hard to replace, but please be reasonable with the price. I didn't see anything in the forum rules against asking for paid services, so I hope this is okay.

Thank you for your response!

stevel
11-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Unless you disabled encryption on the HR10, the recordings cannot be extracted without the HR10 that recorded them working.

Perhaps the HR10 can be repaired. A common problem is the power supply, which can be replaced or repaired.

dizzysoul
11-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Unless you disabled encryption on the HR10, the recordings cannot be extracted without the HR10 that recorded them working.

Perhaps the HR10 can be repaired. A common problem is the power supply, which can be replaced or repaired.

I can still turn it on and access the recordings. Would that work? The unit still powers on, but it doesn't get a satellite signal anymore. I think the tuner inside the box is broken. I know I can probably hook up some kind of analog recorder to the unit and record the shows manually, but I have a hard drive FULL of content. It would take many many hours!

AlphaWolf
11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I can still turn it on and access the recordings. Would that work?

Nope. Unless you explicitly hacked the unit and patched tivoapp to disable encryption before the shows were ever recorded, they're encrypted and there's f˙ckall you can do about it. I think somebody had some method of decrypting S1 recordings but I don't think that was ever ported to the S2 units.

If the tuners are simply broken, you can still use the unit to watch those recordings, even if you cancel the dtv subscription to that unit. There's also the possibility of repairing the tuners but I haven't looked much into it. If you search the forums you may find something.

Jamie
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Nope. Unless you explicitly hacked the unit and patched tivoapp to disable encryption before the shows were ever recorded, they're encrypted and there's f˙ckall you can do about it. I think somebody had some method of decrypting S1 recordings but I don't think that was ever ported to the S2 units. I thought S2_unscramble (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207) was specifically addressed at descrambling HR-10-250 recordings. It's not particularly easy, but it is possible, unless I'm missing something.

AlphaWolf
11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I thought S2_unscramble (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207) was specifically addressed at descrambling HR-10-250 recordings. It's not particularly easy, but it is possible, unless I'm missing something.

Ah wasn't aware there was an S2 equivalent. So yeah that's all you gotta do, just monte into the kernel they provide and follow the directions from there, should be easy enough.

stevel
11-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Right - if the box can play the recordings, you can retrieve them. But you need the box, not just the disk. It is a lot of work.

dizzysoul
11-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Right - if the box can play the recordings, you can retrieve them. But you need the box, not just the disk. It is a lot of work.

That's the big problem for me. Between work and the holidays, I'm afraid I can't put the huge time and effort into getting the recordings transferred out of my tivo unit. DirecTV has already replaced my receiver with new units, and I'm trying to avoid having this box integrated into my whole AV system for the sole purpose of holding onto those recordings. I want to get rid of the box entirely, while keeping the recordings and having them archived.

I'm glad to hear there is some possibility of removing the encryption from the existing recordings. Thanks Jamie and Alphawolf for the info. If anyone is confident in extracting these recordings for me, please let me know what it will take. I'm very interested!

Worf
11-30-2010, 02:03 AM
That's what computers are for.

Get a capture card for your PC. Connect it to your DirecTiVo. Set your PC to record the video for however long the program is plus a minute or two extra. Hit record on PC, then hit play (or Save to VCR) on your DirecTiVo. Go and do something else in the meantime, while it records onto your PC. Then burn it to DVD.

No decryption needed, and you're using the facilities TiVo gives you. The only downside is if you have 80 hours of recording, it'll tie up your PC for 80 hours. But no reason you can't do it at night and in the morning. Cue it up and let it go. If you do it in the morning, when you get home from work, and before you get to bed, you can do 3 hours (assuming hour-long programming) a day for a total cost of 15 minutes daily.

stevel
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with Worf that that is the simplest and most cost-effective process for a one-shot operation.

dizzysoul
11-30-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm still interested in paying someone for their service in extracting this video for me. If you are confident in being able to extract the video, please send me a PM and let me know how much it will cost. Thanks!