PDA

View Full Version : How old are the files in your Deleted Folder?

petestrash
12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
In Australia we are starting to see premature drive failures in TiVo HD's that have been upgraded with a variety of different 1TB drives.

Looking into the issue we have found that most peoples deleted folders contain shows going back over a year. When in reality for most heavy users it should only be full of shows from the last month or two.

We have also noticed that shows deleted by mistake sometimes do not appear in the deleted folder, so the space is re-used immediately instead of using an older recording.

There appears to be an issue with how the TiVo is using the deleted space, which is causing it to re-use the same drive locations over and over again causing premature wear on the drives.

So we are just wondering if this phenomenon is just occurring on Australian TiVo HD'd or is it the same in the US?

Peter.

Thinkdiff
12-21-2010, 03:49 AM
Might be a little off topic, but does rewriting the same part of a HD actually cause "wear" on those sectors? I've never heard that before (for magnetic storage, anyway).

petestrash
12-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Not wear in the physical sense, but I would assume if you keep changing the fields in the same locations you are going weaken those spots on the platters.

Peter.

mike_s
12-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Might be a little off topic, but does rewriting the same part of a HD actually cause "wear" on those sectors? I've never heard that before (for magnetic storage, anyway).No, not at all. Discs die of mechanical (bearings, head crash) or electrical (drive electronics, motors), but not magnetic failure. 'taint no such thing, unless you're running the drive above the Curie temperature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature), but the solder's gonna melt first.

petestrash
12-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Don't know if it is the cause or not, but 1TB drives are failing after only 1-2 years. we did not have such a short lifespan with 500Gb S1/S2 drives.

Regardless whether it is the cause or not, can someone check their deleted folder to see if there are very old shows in there.

Peter.

Jamie
12-21-2010, 10:04 AM
It's worth looking at the logs to see if it is truly a disk failure, or perhaps MFS corruption for some other reason. Is this only a problem with upgraded drives? Do the drives fail manufacturer or SMART diagnostics after failure? If not, perhaps there is a problem with the upgrade tools when used on OZ tivos.

My recently deleted folrder is nearly always empty. Nothing old there.

petestrash
12-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Thanks Jamie, Unfortunately I am assisting others who do not have hacked units and are not in the same town as me. so have not been able to access any of their logs.

I am still awaiting the results of drive diagnostic tests from them.

But while looking at causes we did find this interesting quirk of very old files sitting in the deleted folder and just wondered if it was unique to the Australian units.

Peter.

petestrash
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Cant delete this message.

It was a reply to an off topic post now deleted.

Peter.