PDA

View Full Version : Planning to move to HD and have a dumb question

brianfox
12-24-2010, 02:15 AM
I have two "enhanced" (not using the "H"-word) DSR7000 that have been faithfully serving me for years, and I would like to move to HD.

I've done a good deal of research and have a dilemma that ultimately leads to my question.

My media closet is where I keep my TIVOs. Unfortunately, that closet is smack in the middle of the first story of my house. I have two Sat lines coming in from a Dual LNB, and use a 6x8 multiswitch to feed the TIVOs.

If I go to HD - and want to use my legacy boxes - I NEED to have one or two more lines run to the closet. If I use an SWM8, I need to have the one HD line and two Legacy lines, which would necessitate adding one line. Even if I had DirecTV just add a second dish and kept my setup, I'd need an additional line..

Let's say I do that, and now have HD boxes at my sets. I still need to get the Legacy TIVO outputs to all the TVs in parallel with HD. I currently distribute my TIVOs to TVs using a single RG6, modulating the outputs. I'm not going to modulate SWM HD....

In the new setup, I'd still need to have an RG6 for the legacy TIVOs, but would also need a second RG6 for HD. Most of my rooms only have one RG6 feeding them, and I do not want to run any more lines than I need to.

It's my understanding that the HD programming is delivered to the HD boxes via RG6, so I'd need to use my current RG6 home run network for HD. For rooms that have 2 RG6 lines, I'd run Legacy to the Cable In of the TV and HD to the HD box, then HDMI to my TV. For rooms with one RG6, I'd be SOL, and could only have Legacy or HD.

So, there's always one more option.... I don't like it, but it may be the best thing: retire the legacy devices and use more DVRs from DirecTV.

If anyone has comments up to now of something I missed, please let me know.

So my queston is: let's say I plan to retire the legacy TIVOs. I have a TON of data on them, and don't really want to move it to a PC. I want to burn through it, but that will take about a month (assuming I don't record anything new....right).

If I disconnect the SAT inputs from the legacy TIVOs (in order to free up the SAT line for HD), will the legacy TIVO be bricked at that point? Will I be able to watch and delete the stored content with no SAT connection, as long as there is a valid DirecTV access card plugged in? Remember, these are "modified" TIVOs.

Thanks

Brian

PlainBill
12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I only understand half of what you were saying, but here is the answer to one of your questions. If you disconnect the sat inputs to your legacy DirecTiVos you will be able to continue watching your recordings. Speaking from experience, this may not be significant, however. About a year ago I replaced the TV and DirecTV in one room with a flat panel HDTV and DirecTV HD-DVR. My wife was unhappy that she 'would be unable to watch her shows'. I hooked the composite outputs from the DirecTiVo to a composite input of the HDTV, and the component outputs of the HD-DVR to the component inputs of the HDTV. (It was an older set with no HDMI input). To my certain knowledge, she has NEVER switched inputs to view the shows recorded on the DirecTiVo.

PlainBill

stevel
12-24-2010, 12:05 PM
As PlainBill says, you can watch shows from the TiVos even with no satellite input. You could keep a TiVo going with one legacy line enabling one tuner.

I don't understand the distribution part of your message, unless it's concern about distributing HD over RG6 and I agree you really can't do that.

PlainBill
12-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Seriously, if distribution is bothering you, the solution is already present with the DirecTV HD-DVRs and the DirecTV HD receivers. Multiroom viewing (DirecTV calls it Whole Home) is available between the DVRs and from any shared DVR to a receiver. The monthly cost is $4.00 per home. Networking is required, but that is available without pulling an extra cable.

Other than the recordings on your legacy boxes (which can be solved with TVersity), this is a straightforward operation.

PlainBill

Thinkdiff
12-24-2010, 03:00 PM
I'll see if I can rewrite the OP's situation so others can give their opinions, and I'll give my own near the end.

Basically he has a single distribution point in his house where two SAT lines come in and then multiple RG-6 lines go out to each of his TVs. Currently, he modulates both of his TiVos onto the RG-6 lines (say like.. one TiVo on channel 3, the other on channel 4). So you can watch either TiVo from any TV in the house.

With upgrading to HD, this will no longer work. He'll either have to send the legacy TiVos over the RG-6 and run a new line to each TV for the SAT line to the HD Box near the TV. Or reuse the existing RG6, hook it up to a multiswitch or directly to the dish, and let the HD box hook into that on the TV side - losing the ability to watch the DirecTiVos on that TV.

I think I got it, right?

If I understand correctly, my suggestion would be to use cable if available - I know, I know... DirecTV is much, much better. But until they get their new DirecTiVo HD released (was supposed to be this year), cable is really the way to go for TiVos. You could just run a single cable line into your distribution center, split it out to the RG-6s runs, put some CableCARDs in a TiVo HD or TiVo Premier and you'd be good to go.

It's probably a more expensive option (12.95/mo +9.95/mo for each extra TiVo), but I've made the switch to TiVoHD with CableCARD from DirecTiVos and I'm pretty happy. As soon as DirecTV and TiVo get their collective acts together, I'll switch back.

PlainBill
12-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I'll see if I can rewrite the OP's situation so others can give their opinions, and I'll give my own near the end.

Basically he has a single distribution point in his house where two SAT lines come in and then multiple RG-6 lines go out to each of his TVs. Currently, he modulates both of his TiVos onto the RG-6 lines (say like.. one TiVo on channel 3, the other on channel 4). So you can watch either TiVo from any TV in the house.

With upgrading to HD, this will no longer work. He'll either have to send the legacy TiVos over the RG-6 and run a new line to each TV for the SAT line to the HD Box near the TV. Or reuse the existing RG6, hook it up to a multiswitch or directly to the dish, and let the HD box hook into that on the TV side - losing the ability to watch the DirecTiVos on that TV.

I think I got it, right?

If I understand correctly, my suggestion would be to use cable if available - I know, I know... DirecTV is much, much better. But until they get their new DirecTiVo HD released (was supposed to be this year), cable is really the way to go for TiVos. You could just run a single cable line into your distribution center, split it out to the RG-6s runs, put some CableCARDs in a TiVo HD or TiVo Premier and you'd be good to go.

It's probably a more expensive option (12.95/mo +9.95/mo for each extra TiVo), but I've made the switch to TiVoHD with CableCARD from DirecTiVos and I'm pretty happy. As soon as DirecTV and TiVo get their collective acts together, I'll switch back.
I enjoyed DirecTiVos for may years. At the time they were the best game in town. Now, the DirecTV HD-DVRs have the DirecTiVos beaten hands down. Features like MRV (Whole Home in DirecTV speak), Caller ID, remote programming (yes, if I have internet access, I can instruct my DirecTv DVR to record a program), display audio, pictures, and videos from a server, are all stock features. Extraction is not legally possible, but is it necessary when you can use external drives? The HR24, DirecTV's latest HD-DVR is significantly more responsive than even the HR20, and vastly better than the others.

Yes, I know we're all TiVo snobs here, and I'm not going to claim the DirecTV HD-DVRs have a better user interface than a TiVo, but it certainly was no problem learning the differences.

By far the simplest approach for the OP is to have DirecTV (or a competent installer) install an HD dish with SWM and the appropriate adapters to use power line networking. This is all available DirecTV branded and supported.

A quick cost comparison. A DirecTV HD-DVR costs $100 with a two year commitment. HD service is $10 per month. DVR service costs $7.00 per month per account. The first DVR does not incur an extra receiver charge, additional receivers are $5 per month.

Let's assume a somewhat 'worst case' scenario. The OP has 2 DirecTiVos and wants to replace both of them with HD-DVRs. That will cost $100 for the first, $200 for the next; total $300. HD service will raise his current bill $10 a month.

What would 2 TiVo HD receivers cost? And what would the monthly charges be?

PlainBill

djl
12-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Here's an option, if you (like me) have a new HD TV as well as an SD that you aren't getting rid of any time soon.
I was a longtime DirecTV user who had stayed more for the TiVo interface then for any particular brand loyalty. When I bought a new TV I canceled them, switched to cable, and got a standalone Series 2 (with a lifetime sub) off EBay. I upgraded the drive and inserted the old shows from the DirecTivos on the SA. Then, I got a Tivo HD for the new flat-panel. With this setup in place, I can view SD programming on the old TV in the basement with the Series 2 and also MRV those shows to the HD, while using the HD as the receiver for the new flat-panel.

Initial costs:
$100 for the series 2 with lifetime
$100 hard drive upgrades (250 GB for SAS2 and 1 TB for HD)
$200 for the HD (which was already prom modded!)
-----
$400

Monthly costs:
$6.00 for SD cable box
$2.00 Cablecard for the HD
$8.25 TiVo service (The series 2 has a lifetime sub, and I use the $99/year option for the HD)
----
$16.25

Clearly, the initial outlay could be reduced by not upgrading the drives. The monthly costs are about $12/month LESS than a comparable package from my cable provider. It was more work at first but this solution has been terrific and the family is thrilled.