PDA

View Full Version : Inserting Shows into TiVo HD

Thinkdiff
12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm transitioning my 3 DirecTiVos to TiVo HDs over the next few weeks. On one of my DirecTiVos, I have saved recordings dating back to 2003/2004. I've been extracting all of these shows via tivoweb onto my home server in TMF format.

Eventually, I'd like to put these recordings on the TiVo HD. My DirecTiVo is hacked, so the recordings are not scrambled or encrypted. However, the TiVoHD won't be hacked for awhile. What's the best method of doing this?

Another poster had a good idea of buying a SA Series 2 box, putting on the recordings on there and then using TiVo's MRV to the new box. Seems like a good idea, but somewhat expensive.

Are there any programs that can emulate the new MRV protocol? I believe tivoserver no longer works with 9.x+ TiVo OS.

Is there anyway to insert the recordings on a PC using mfs_tools, or does MFS have to be active to insert the recordings effectively?

I guess the easiest method is wait until the TiVo HD is hacked and then use mfs_ftp, correct?

Thanks in advanced!

Jamie
12-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Are there any programs that can emulate the new MRV protocol? I believe tivoserver no longer works with 9.x+ TiVo OS.None that I know of.

Is there anyway to insert the recordings on a PC using mfs_tools, or does MFS have to be active to insert the recordings effectively?There are no PC side tools for insertion.

I guess the easiest method is wait until the TiVo HD is hacked and then use mfs_ftp, correct?No. That won't work: The tystream format on the Series3 and later is different than the earlier ty stream formats, so you can't insert a S2 stream onto a S3 with mfs_ftp.

Your best best is probably to convert them all to mpeg with tytompeg, then server them up from a PC server using TTCB protocol (e.g. using pyTiVo, TiVoDesktop, etc).

Thinkdiff
12-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks, Jamie. I didn't realize the tystream format changed.

Your best best is probably to convert them all to mpeg with tytompeg, then server them up from a PC server using TTCB protocol (e.g. using pyTiVo, TiVoDesktop, etc).
That's what I was working on today (pyTiVo/streambaby), but if that's my only option I'll have to work on figuring out a way to keep the Metainfo from the TMF file when serving the MPEG2 back up to the TiVo.

Edit: I've been lead here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58238

Short of the OP still being around to answer his PMs and still having the metadata converter around, I found myself a little project to work on for a while :)

djl
12-28-2010, 10:44 PM
I think what I did (it's been a while) was use tytotivo to convert the old directivo tmfs, then inserted with Tivo Desktop. This preserved the xml. I was using an unhacked box, but I don't think that should matter.

Thanks, Jamie. I didn't realize the tystream format changed.

That's what I was working on today (pyTiVo/streambaby), but if that's my only option I'll have to work on figuring out a way to keep the Metainfo from the TMF file when serving the MPEG2 back up to the TiVo.

Edit: I've been lead here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58238

Short of the OP still being around to answer his PMs and still having the metadata converter around, I found myself a little project to work on for a while :)

Thinkdiff
12-29-2010, 03:20 AM
I think what I did (it's been a while) was use tytotivo to convert the old directivo tmfs, then inserted with Tivo Desktop. This preserved the xml. I was using an unhacked box, but I don't think that should matter.

That's pretty much what I'm doing now, but unfortunately I keep running into one issue.

I'm using tytotivo to convert the files to .tivo format, then TiVoDesktop OS X to copy them to the TiVo HD. However, there are terrible audio drop outs every couple seconds (it almost sounds like stuttering).

The closest thing I could find to this problem was somebody claiming it's a bug with how the TiVo HD handles MPEG2 files. I can kind of get around the problem by first decoding to MPEG2, then using ffmpeg to re-encode just the audio, and then rejoin the file using tytotivo, but there still seems to be a couple hiccups (although definitely much better).

djl
12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Strange, I never had any difficulties with audio. Have you tried converting ty+ instead? Is your mak set?

That's pretty much what I'm doing now, but unfortunately I keep running into one issue.

I'm using tytotivo to convert the files to .tivo format, then TiVoDesktop OS X to copy them to the TiVo HD. However, there are terrible audio drop outs every couple seconds (it almost sounds like stuttering).

The closest thing I could find to this problem was somebody claiming it's a bug with how the TiVo HD handles MPEG2 files. I can kind of get around the problem by first decoding to MPEG2, then using ffmpeg to re-encode just the audio, and then rejoin the file using tytotivo, but there still seems to be a couple hiccups (although definitely much better).

Thinkdiff
12-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Seems to be an issue with the formatting of the mpeg file tytompg (part of tytotivo) spits out. If I use hdemux to get the elemental streams, then use ffmpeg to join them, then create the .tivo file from that, the audio sounds great - BUT (there's always a but) the progress bar doesn't work on the TiVo! So if I can figure out what's causing that, I've got a pretty good solution.

I'll try with a ty+ file and let you know.

Thinkdiff
12-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Here's the relevant discussion on this problem:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58397 (Pages 1-3)

Looks like the problem was never resolved. I've been using mplex to recode the MPEG file and it plays fairly well - still the occasional drop out, but a lot better than nothing. I really don't want to purchase VideoReDo (the suggested solution) just to fix this issue. Guess it'll have to do for now.

lgkahn
12-29-2010, 05:27 PM

i also recommend this approach this is what i do
I have them saved in .tmf format on various hard disks and when wife requests one of the old shows. I find it and convert via tytompg
and copy file to a directory thet my pytivo is serving.. and go onto my tivo hd and pull file over... very quick and painless.

i dont convert everything.. only as needed.

djl
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Also, I was wondering if Streambaby handles things differently? No harm in trying the free options...

I have them saved in .tmf format on various hard disks and when wife requests one of the old shows. I find it and convert via tytompg
and copy file to a directory thet my pytivo is serving.. and go onto my tivo hd and pull file over... very quick and painless.

Thinkdiff
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM

That's been my workflow since last night (tmf -> tytompg or tytotivo -> TTCB/pyTiVo). Unfortunately, that doesn't work so well going from DirecTiVo -> TiVo HD apparently.

Being that tytompg takes the clean approach to demuxing/remuxing the files, the non-standard audio stream from DirecTV doesn't sit well with the TiVo HD's very strict MPEG2 decoder. Demuxing with tytompg/hdemux and remuxing with a more robust program (mplex or VideoRedu) recreates the MPEG stream in a standards compliant way and fixes the problem - for the most part. mplex still has the occasional glitch, but it's passable.

I was hoping to completely replace my DTiVo with the new THD, but I guess I'll have to store the tmfs on my home server for now as a backup.

djl: I'm fairly certain when I tried streambaby via the Music/Photos interface, it also experienced stuttering. I'll have to retest with some of the different versions of tytompg.

Thanks to everybody for all the help so far.

djl
12-30-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm curious as to why some shows insert with no problems. I don't think I have any of my original tmfs at this point, but it would be interesting to see what's different about them.

That's been my workflow since last night (tmf -> tytompg or tytotivo -> TTCB/pyTiVo). Unfortunately, that doesn't work so well going from DirecTiVo -> TiVo HD apparently.

Being that tytompg takes the clean approach to demuxing/remuxing the files, the non-standard audio stream from DirecTV doesn't sit well with the TiVo HD's very strict MPEG2 decoder. Demuxing with tytompg/hdemux and remuxing with a more robust program (mplex or VideoRedu) recreates the MPEG stream in a standards compliant way and fixes the problem - for the most part. mplex still has the occasional glitch, but it's passable.

I was hoping to completely replace my DTiVo with the new THD, but I guess I'll have to store the tmfs on my home server for now as a backup.

djl: I'm fairly certain when I tried streambaby via the Music/Photos interface, it also experienced stuttering. I'll have to retest with some of the different versions of tytompg.

lgkahn
01-01-2011, 12:27 PM

i have no problems with this approach.. all my shows are from direct tivos .tmf format and i am going to my series 3 tivo hd.. i have done at least 20 of these conversions so far and non have audio problems or are out of sync.

Thinkdiff
01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
i have no problems with this approach.. all my shows are from direct tivos .tmf format and i am going to my series 3 tivo hd.. i have done at least 20 of these conversions so far and non have audio problems or are out of sync.

Do you remember what version of tytompg you were using and how old the recordings are?

Some of the shows I'm trying to reinsert are from 2002-2003, not sure if that makes a difference.

Edit: I modified tytotivo to work with the older version of tytompg (0.21). Inserted .tivo files now have minimal audio glitches (0-10 glitches per recording) compared to files converted with tytompg 1.1 (10-20 glitches a minute). I can live with that... I'll throw a 120GB HD in the old DirecTiVo, reinsert the original tmfs, and just keep it in the closet as a backup.

If anybody has the same stuttering issue and wants to try my patches to tytotivo, send me a PM or email. I don't want to post it publicly because it's a very hacky way to implement the older tytompg.

lgkahn
01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
last one i did was this for my wife ( came from a non hd direct tivo)

Directory of J:\movies\tmf\musicals

11/30/2006 08:52p 2,067,807,232 {Guys and Dolls}{1955-01-01}{}{01.15 PM Tue Nov 09, 2004}{TCM}.tmf
1 File(s) 2,067,807,232 bytes

looks like it was recorded originally in 2004 which is pretty old

tytompg version i used

F:\>tytompg

i still have converted file /mpg if you want to get it and test.. maybe the problem is the re-insertion not the conversion?
tytompg: Copyright (c) 2004-2008 B.C. <bcc24x7@gmail.com>
Multiplexer version 1.1, Demuxer version 1.0
error: Invalid arguments specified.
Usage: tytompg -i infile -o outfile
OR tytompg infile [outfile]
-d<opt> Turn on debug option
-i infile Input file containing .ty/.ty+/.tmf source
-o outfile Output file for mpeg2 transport stream
-s n Skip n chunks
-n n Process n chunks
-y Allow overwrite of output file

then i use tytivo to stream to series 3 hd.

Thinkdiff
01-07-2011, 01:59 AM
And you get no audio hiccups at all? Via analog audio or digital out?

I couldn't figure out what was causing it, so I just converted all of the videos with the older tytompg and reinserted them to the TiVo 3 via pyTiVo. They still have a few hiccups depending on the audio (seems louder sections cause more hiccups), but it'll do.