PDA

View Full Version : Considering updating DTV DVR39 to DTV HD TIVO

estranged0877
12-31-2010, 12:09 AM
I have a DVR39 running 6.2a supporting MRV etc. (which I modified). Been years since I have done any modifications on my TIVO's & considering going into the high def world but want to continue enjoying directv TIVO & the MRV option. I am not so much concerned about saving my old recordings. I do have 500GB IDE drives on my old TIVO's so also curious of DTV HD options that would still support IDE (I know benefits of SATA, just being scrooge ;)).

Thanks for the gentle shove in the back in the right direction of potential previous version directv tivo's.

PlainBill
12-31-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a DVR39 running 6.2a supporting MRV etc. (which I modified). Been years since I have done any modifications on my TIVO's & considering going into the high def world but want to continue enjoying directv TIVO & the MRV option. I am not so much concerned about saving my old recordings. I do have 500GB IDE drives on my old TIVO's so also curious of DTV HD options that would still support IDE (I know benefits of SATA, just being scrooge ;)).

Thanks for the gentle shove in the back in the right direction of potential previous version directv tivo's.
I understand thrifty; I live with it every day. The only possible way to use your existing IDE drive would be as an external drive, using an SATA to IDE adapter. But IMHO, that would be pointless. The HR24-500 already comes with a 500 Gig hard drive so using your IDE drive doesn't increase capacity (one of the limitations of the DirecTV DVRs is that an added external drive REPLACES the internal drive).

PlainBill

estranged0877
12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey PlainBill,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my outdated knowledge, been riding these DVR39's out for years & thoroughly enjoy my setup. Will the HR24-500 allow for me to utilize the network/MRV feature? I also have a TivoServer hosted from my home PC & watch AVI's etc. all the time on my tivo's from the PC. My wife certainly won't let me move over to another platform without these features we have become addicted to ;). She also won't be a big supporter of the non-TIVO menu features (I've seen my in-laws Directv program/menu=nterface & we aren't big fans)? We like the NP list & TIVO-centric environment. I understand TIVO/DirecTV are partnering again & plan to release a new receiver this year (I could possibly wait for this).

I'm sure you get where I'm going (I used to see your comments on many of the threads I used a couple years back to enable all these fun features). Wanting the benefits of HDMI/high-def but to keep my tried & true 6.2 similiar features/options. I can part with my IDE's, just want a receiver (can be older model) that will support these options/interfaces.

Thanks again, appreciate your knowledge/expertise!

PlainBill
12-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Hey PlainBill,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my outdated knowledge, been riding these DVR39's out for years & thoroughly enjoy my setup. Will the HR24-500 allow for me to utilize the network/MRV feature? I also have a TivoServer hosted from my home PC & watch AVI's etc. all the time on my tivo's from the PC. My wife certainly won't let me move over to another platform without these features we have become addicted to ;). She also won't be a big supporter of the non-TIVO menu features (I've seen my in-laws Directv program/menu=nterface & we aren't big fans)? We like the NP list & TIVO-centric environment. I understand TIVO/DirecTV are partnering again & plan to release a new receiver this year (I could possibly wait for this).

I'm sure you get where I'm going (I used to see your comments on many of the threads I used a couple years back to enable all these fun features). Wanting the benefits of HDMI/high-def but to keep my tried & true 6.2 similiar features/options. I can part with my IDE's, just want a receiver (can be older model) that will support these options/interfaces.

Thanks again, appreciate your knowledge/expertise!
The HR2x DirecTV DVRs all have networking enabled. I have a server set up using TVersity, it works well for movies, photographs; it also supports MP3s, but I haven't tried it, it seems pointless to me. Also MRV is available 'out of the box', it works between the DVRs and the H2x HD receivers.

Seriously, I was concerned about the different user interface, but found it wasn't a problem. I have several of the DirecTV HD-DVRs, and one DirecTiVo still in service. I definitely prefer the DirecTvremote.

PlainBill