PDA

View Full Version : Capturing IR using IRTEST, has anyone had any sucess?

tivomon
01-05-2011, 02:43 AM
I am trying to have my Series 2 (240) box change channels on my DTX9950 Digital to Analog converter. I release this is an un suported configuration. Never the less, I read some posts about using /sbin/irtest to capture the codes from my 9950 remote and then how to format the data and insert it into another device configuration map.

My problem is getting the irtest to run and capture the codes I sent at it.
If I just run the irtest command like so
bash-2.02# irtest -t /dev/ttyS0 -V
I get the error...
Cannot find microcontroller on /dev/ttyS0.

The article I read suggests that you need to kill myworld and then switcher so that you can can access to /dev/ttyS0.

I find that killing either myworld or switcherstart will cause an error that causes tivo to reboot. See error below.

Has anyone used irtest to capture remote codes, or does anyone have a better approach to getting the codes into tivo for a 9950?

Tmk Fatal Error: Thread TvLauncher <90> died due to signal -2
691f38 698454 fdd6e8 fe9cbc feaa28 feabc0 fd8b90 fd875c 1009d3c 10119dc 1011b34
6935d8 68cda4 68ef74 400e30 108a0b0 <0>Restarting system.
Loading R5432 MMU routines.

djl
01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
You can read TvBus messages with routerplus (http://www.pvrhax0r.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51) and use trickeyplus (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57959&highlight=trickeyplus) to execute commands based on the IR keypresses you catch.
There's a lot of examples of trickeyplus usage here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60474&highlight=trickeyplus).

I am trying to have my Series 2 (240) box change channels on my DTX9950 Digital to Analog converter. I release this is an un suported configuration. Never the less, I read some posts about using /sbin/irtest to capture the codes from my 9950 remote and then how to format the data and insert it into another device configuration map.

My problem is getting the irtest to run and capture the codes I sent at it.
If I just run the irtest command like so
bash-2.02# irtest -t /dev/ttyS0 -V
I get the error...
Cannot find microcontroller on /dev/ttyS0.

The article I read suggests that you need to kill myworld and then switcher so that you can can access to /dev/ttyS0.

I find that killing either myworld or switcherstart will cause an error that causes tivo to reboot. See error below.

Has anyone used irtest to capture remote codes, or does anyone have a better approach to getting the codes into tivo for a 9950?

Tmk Fatal Error: Thread TvLauncher <90> died due to signal -2
691f38 698454 fdd6e8 fe9cbc feaa28 feabc0 fd8b90 fd875c 1009d3c 10119dc 1011b34
6935d8 68cda4 68ef74 400e30 108a0b0 <0>Restarting system.
Loading R5432 MMU routines.

tivomon
01-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Not sure if I missed something here, I successfully loaded routerplus, I ran rpscan and chanflip each worked as advertised.

I did see TvBus messages when using the Tivo remote, but when I pointed and pressed buttons from my Digital Steam 9950 remote, which I am trying to sniff I didn't see any TvBus messages.

Thinking this thorough to a logical conclusion. My assumption is that the Tivo didn't understand the signal from the Digital Stream 9950 and therefor there were not any commands or messages for the kernel to process and displayed by rpsniff.

djl
01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I was assuming you'd use the Tivo remote and then send channel changes via serial, like with a regular cable box. Wouldn't work if the 9950 doesn't have a serial hookup though.

Not sure if I missed something here, I successfully loaded routerplus, I ran rpscan and chanflip each worked as advertised.

I did see TvBus messages when using the Tivo remote, but when I pointed and pressed buttons from my Digital Steam 9950 remote, which I am trying to sniff I didn't see any TvBus messages.

Thinking this thorough to a logical conclusion. My assumption is that the Tivo didn't understand the signal from the Digital Stream 9950 and therefor there were not any commands or messages for the kernel to process and displayed by rpsniff.

tivomon
01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Oh happy day... I got something to work.

So it was a bit of a trip around the world, lots of reading until it all clicked for me.

I will just cover the highlights.

I found an article which discusses the issue I was facing at http://www.gratisoft.us/tivo/dtv.html.

I am attatching the script that I put together based on hits from the gratisoft site and http://www.niesens.com/hobbies/entertainment-system/tivo-with-tv-converter-box.en.html

Note that on the niessens site they mention that the ditigal stream codes are hidden in the advanced menu. This was helpful as the codes for the digital stream can be pulled from a 9.x distro.

In any case these codes found their way into the attatched script. This script can be run to map the IR codes for a Digital Stream 9950 DTV converter on top of the Zigwell Cable converter IR codes. I chose the Zigwell since I wasn't using that one.

After a reboot, I was able to use the IR blaster to comunicate with my Digital Stream 9950.

Side notes thanks to those who responded to my post as if the reply didn't directly solve the problem it contrubuted to my thinking process and got me to where I needed to be.

and MFSBACKUP after the changes is your friend :)

woracan
06-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I need a copy of /sbin/irtest for Series 2 if anyone can help.