PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Change the Background Images and Menus

paulhlee
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I have searched and cannot find the answer.... if it is here somewhere, could someone point me to the correct thread?

Anyway, what I am looking to do is to change all the background images and menus on my S3 TiVo so that instead of "TiVo" they say "Dad's TV" or "Mom's TV" as they are looking through the guide or any of the various screens. Just something to help my (ahem..) elderly parents feel like I did something special for them.

I found some .png images in the /tvbin directory, but they are not what I am looking for.

Anybody have the answer?

Thanks.

Thinkdiff
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I believe the backgrounds for most of the menus are part of the "loopset". You'd have to find a copy of a recent loopset slice for your model of TiVo (S3 vs TivoHD vs TivoHD XL), figure out how to replace elements in that slice, and then reload the slice on the TiVo.

If you get to the point of reloading the slice, there's a script somewhere that I posted awhile ago that can invalidate existing loopset resources to allow the replacement ones to overwrite them. I'll try to find it if you figure out the first two steps ;)

AlphaWolf
01-20-2011, 04:20 AM
The backgrounds in the tivo menus are actually a set of videos that loop over and over again, and as thinkdiff pointed out, they're collectively called a loopset. What you want to do is first create videos that you want to replace these with, and then upload them to your tivo (easiest way to do this would be tivotogoback since it handles the conversion to tystream and uploading in one step.)

Then what you want to do is write a script that will replace the fsid of the loopset tysteams with the fsid of the respective videos you uploaded.

Thinkdiff
01-21-2011, 12:54 AM
The backgrounds in the tivo menus are actually a set of videos that loop over and over again, and as thinkdiff pointed out, they're collectively called a loopset. What you want to do is first create videos that you want to replace these with, and then upload them to your tivo (easiest way to do this would be tivotogoback since it handles the conversion to tystream and uploading in one step.)

Then what you want to do is write a script that will replace the fsid of the loopset tysteams with the fsid of the respective videos you uploaded.

Heh.. much easier method than what I suggested :D