PDA

View Full Version : Any working methods of streaming from modded S3 to XBMC

crust
03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I want to stream shows from my modded S3 to my XBMC boxes. Currently I have ccxstream and mfs_ftp running on the Tivo, but neither works fully on XBMC (Ubuntu Intrepid). Note that the current stable XBMC will _not_ play the TS files. I rebuilt from the repository.

With ccxtream, I get the now playing and "live tv" menus and I can go into them and get the listing. However, nothing plays and results in numerous errors on XBMC.

With mfs_ftp, I can get the listing from the "ts" directory of all the shows. I can then choose one and XBMC will spin the waiting icon for a while before finally giving up.

If I copy the ts file to another share, XBMC sees/plays it fine, so I am pretty sure that the file/format is OK. It must have something to do with the streaming methods.

Does anybody have this sort of thing working? If not what would it take?

Kayle
03-08-2011, 04:28 AM
Are you sure you picked up all the needed patches for mfs_ftp? I'm not sure I found them all myself, I ended up fixing a few more bugs before I got reliable downloads from it. I've been meaning to post about my changes.

mfs_ftp uses a subset of the ftp protocol for metadata transfer and file selection, the actual data transfer is a straight TCP stream, nothing fancy.

crust
03-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, I certainly did not patch mfs_ftp, wasn't aware that I needed to for xbmc. However, thinking about it more, I am not sure if xbmc can stream from FTP or not. It supports its own streaming format that ccxstream provides. However, at some point a few versions ago, the ty format stopped being supported by xbmc and so the only option is to use the transport stream. I figured since it works to ftp to my other PC the setup on the tivo was fine.

What do the patches do?

I guess I have 2 things I could try

1) get the source for ccxstream / mfs_ftp, hope the licenses are compatible and then hack ccxstream to supply the transport stream instead of a ty stream

2) figure out if xbmc supports FTP streaming or not.

Kayle
03-08-2011, 11:55 AM
If you can ftp to your PC from the TiVo, then you probably got the necessary fixes. It's probably a weekend task to change mfs_ftp to provide an HTTP stream instead, if that works with XBMC better.

BTW, I just noticed you said you had the ts directory, in mfs_ftp, that's one of the later patches already.

crust
03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
it does support http streams, though i've never tried it. the old ccxstream for tivo used to work but it exports a ty stream. not sure what is easier, to modify it to send a ts stream, or modify mfs_ftp to send an xbmc stream or http stream.

Kayle
03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Did ccxstream ever work on an S3/HD? If not, it probably needs to be updated to work with the updated MFS video stream format. It looks like ccxstream hasn't been updated since 2003, so it probably just needs some hacking. Look at what was changed in jamie's mfs-utils-64.

crust
03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I just started looking at the source and it looks like it was never updated. After looking at mfs_ftp source, I realized that it was just calling mfs_streams, mfs_export, etc so maybe this won't be too difficult. I'd really like to get this to work ....

The key one looks to be mfs_tsexport, so I'll have a look there and see where that takes me.

BTW, ccxstream does show the nowplaying list correctly .... but I don't know that it means much.

Edit: Actually is any of the updates needed? I have an S3, I know the HD uses the 64bit MFS, but I am 99% sure that the S3 is only 32bit. However, still not sure If I need any changes or not.