PDA

View Full Version : unknown static IP address / lost remote access

Na3than
03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
It's been years since I hacked my Series 2 DTivo (thanks in no small part to the dedication of the Tivo support community here). I had set up my box with a static IP address behind a wireless bridge, but some time ago I repurposed the bridge and I've forgotten what IP address I gave the Tivo, so I no longer have access to it through the network. What are my options for reinstating remote (network) access?

I don't have a serial cable; I did my all previous hacking from an InstantCake ISO and via telnet.

I'm certain the IP address I used was in either the 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x subnet, but I've tried connecting it to a router for each of those subnets and was unable to see it as a connected device in the router's administration page, even after rebooting the Tivo when connected to each router.

Aside from starting over from scratch, any other suggestions?

Thinkdiff
03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
It's a long shot, but you could connect a router set to serve 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x to the TiVo and a computer.

Reboot the TiVo, wait for it to start up (and hopefully register on the network). After a couple minutes, on the PC send a broadcast ping. It should just be:

ping 192.168.1.255

That will cause any device on the network to respond. You should see your TiVo responding from some IP address.

If you don't, try changing everything to the 192.168.2.x network and ping 192.168.2.255.

Not all devices respond to a broadcast ping, so it's a shot in the dark.

You can also pull the hard drive and take a look in the logs in /var/log or your rc.sysinit.author file to see if you set the static IP there.

Na3than
03-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Thank you, Thinkdiff, for the quick response.

I was able to locate the PTVnet iso I used in the original upgrade and used it to restore the standard DHCP configuration ... just answered 'no' when it asked if I wanted to apply an InstantCake image. I was a bit worried when my router still didn't recognize it shortly after power-up, but five minutes later (when the reboot process completed), there it is! Telnet and FTP access confirmed!

Thanks again!