PDA

View Full Version : Messed up 11.0k upgrade. Am I hosed?

kwan888
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Been at this most of the night, so I'll try to explain what's happened, and hope some gurus can help me out here. :D

Here's the summary of my issue:

1. Updated from 11.0g to 11.0k.
2. Only did a truncated backup (didn't bother to back up the recordings, DOH!)
3. Went in and ran the busybox.replace_initrd script, but silly me used sda4 INSTEAD of sda3. It backed up, so i tried a dd if=original_kernal.bak of=/dev/sda4.
4. The drive wouldn't boot in the S3.
5. Used MFSCopy to copy the drive on to 2 separate drives.
6. Reverted original drive back to 11.0g and got the 11.0k update, and correctly did the initrd, cci, and noencryption hacks.

So it seems here (I hope), that I should have my recordings from before this fiasco duped on my extra drives.

So I guess the question is: How can I go about rescuing these recordings? They are part of a series, so would definitely want to get them back either onto the Tivo or onto the PC.

I've noticed that that there are separate media partitions, and all of the drives are currently at 13 partitions. It is it a matter of copying these partitions across?

Any help or advice is appreciated!

tivo4mevo
05-01-2011, 04:15 PM
It's unclear to me whether you have access to a Linux system (or Linux boot disk like MFSlive.org) capable of directly accessing the drive from your PC, but I would wager that the simplest thing might be to "fix" one of the two duplicates you made in step 5, so that it boots.

Firstly, if you have the space, I would recommend making a truncated backup of your "original" drive that now successfully boots 11.0k (to preserve that work, just in case).

Then, connect that same "original" drive to a Linux PC, and make copies of the sda3 & sda4 partitions (this is where the Linux system or live CD is needed).

Then, connect one of the two duplicate drives created in step 5 to the Linux PC, and copy the sda3 & sda4 partition images you made in the previous step onto the duplicate drive. That should allow that duplicate drive to successfully boot in your s3. Once booted, you can either extract the recordings from that drive, or just run your tivo using that drive.

There might be several variations on the above (you could copy the MFS partitions from the duplicate drive to the original drive, or you could just copy the kernel and root partitions direction between the original and duplicate drive if you connected them both to the linux system at the same time), but those might be more complicated. Also, others can chime in if there's a simpler method I'm not considering (I forget where direct extraction stands for S3 models).

kwan888
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the response!

I actually do have access to MFSlive, and that is where I applied the initrd to the wrong partition. (DOH!)

However, since I posted this thread, I was thankfully able to retrieve the recordings off one of the duplicate drives.

I hadn't thought of copying off the 3/4 partitions from the good 11.0k to one of the duplicates. I imagine that would have worked, but I wasn't sure if the recorded shows "data" would be copied as well, basically indicating it was blank from the good 11.0k drive. I will keep this in mind to try should I happen to hose another update. :D

The solution I used was I simply loaded up one of the duplicate drives with MFSlive and used the bootpage -f command to flip the partitions. I then plugged the drive in to the S3, which would boot but have no UI. I was able to connect with TiVo Desktop and kmttg to the S3. All my previous recordings were there and I was able to transfer them off.

So not exactly the prettiest fix, but did the job! ;)

tivo4mevo
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I hadn't thought of copying off the 3/4 partitions from the good 11.0k to one of the duplicates. I imagine that would have worked, but I wasn't sure if the recorded shows "data" would be copied as well, basically indicating it was blank from the good 11.0k drive. I will keep this in mind to try should I happen to hose another update.The recorded shows metadata lives in the MFS application partition while the video (streams) themselves live in the media partition. So copying over the root filesystem (partition 4) and the kernel (partition 3) wouldn't affect that.

The solution I used was I simply loaded up one of the duplicate drives with MFSlive and used the bootpage -f command to flip the partitions. I then plugged the drive in to the S3, which would boot but have no UI. I was able to connect with TiVo Desktop and kmttg to the S3. All my previous recordings were there and I was able to transfer them off.Good one. Rolling back like that can often work provided that the "after reboot" upgrade hasn't occurred.