PDA

View Full Version : Best practices for Comcast?

karpodiem
06-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi there - I've been lurking in the forums for about two years now. Decided to finally get a TiVO HD and have the PROM mod done. My service provider is Comcast.

A bit of background information and a few questions -

1) Anyone have a guide on how to remove the hard drive from a TiVO HD?

2) How much maintenance is required once the initial (software) modification is performed? Is this a continual cat and mouse game between TiVO/Comcast and the user? What has your experience been?

3) Anyone ever record college football games on ESPN/BTN? The concept of having a clean MPEG-2 copy of these games in HD is awesome, and is the primary reason why I'm doing this. I have a Hauppauge HD PVR; editing h.264 sucks, even with VideoRedo. I feel much better having an MPEG-2 copy coming straight from the source.

Thanks

AlphaWolf
06-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Removing the hard drive is pretty straight forward, pretty similar to removing a PC hard drive. It is pretty rare to need to deal with a software update these days as tivo has mostly moved from the s3/hd units and on to the s4 units.

karpodiem
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
So I spent a good amount of time reading the forums this weekend. Based on what I've read, this looks to be the necessary process:

1) Get the Tivo prom modded.
2) Upgrade kernel to 11.0k
3) Follow the steps listed here -http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61165
4) Follow the directions listed here to disable future updates beyond 11.0K - http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64081&page=5
5) Implement the tools found in tvapppatch.tcl

Is this more or less correct?

thomb
06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
That looks about right.
If you can work a screwdriver, you should have no problem pulling the drive. You should upgrade the drive (to at least 1TB) if you haven't already done so. Make sure to keep the old drive in a safe place, never know when a hard drive is going to fail on you.

Reading, reading, and more reading the posts here is the best way to do it. Once done, Tivo software updates (~ every 6 months) are all that would require making any changes. Even after an update, it should only take 15 minutes of your time to apply the patches to "upgrade" the update. And you can do the upgrades whenever you feel like it - without pulling the drive. I do mine over telnet as documented in the forum.
Have fun.

buccobruce91
06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I consistently record pay per view ufc fights with my prom modded tivo hd. these can easily be converted to clean mp2 files. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this with college football games. BTW my cable provider is comcast as well.

Buccobruce

lrhorer
06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
So I spent a good amount of time reading the forums this weekend. Based on what I've read, this looks to be the necessary process:

1) Get the Tivo prom modded.
2) Upgrade kernel to 11.0k
3) Follow the steps listed here -http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61165
4) Follow the directions listed here to disable future updates beyond 11.0K - http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64081&page=5
5) Implement the tools found in tvapppatch.tcl

Is this more or less correct?
I would say, "No".

For personal preference, I don't use a custom kernel. Doing so could always break something*. Secondly, I definitely do not recommend trying to prevent future upgrades. Rather, one can delay the upgrade until one is ready to re-hack the new partitions. For an example of the way I prefer to hack the TiVos, see the link in my signature. For a good example of scripted upgrades see mike_s' excellent post here (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62603).

*This position may well change once release upgrades to the S3 have completely stopped. It would be nice to put a 2T drive on the S3.

lrhorer
06-18-2011, 07:13 AM
It is pretty rare to need to deal with a software update these days as tivo has mostly moved from the s3/hd units and on to the s4 units.
I don't know why you say that. Release 11.0k rolled out pretty much on schedule in March, and there is no reason to think there will be no future upgrades. To be sure, their upgrade support for the THD and S3 will no doubt be tapering off rapidly, but S1 and S2 patches continued to be delivered long after each respective platform had been capped. I expect there will be upgrades coming out for the S3 / THD for a while.

AlphaWolf
06-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't know why you say that. Release 11.0k rolled out pretty much on schedule in March, and there is no reason to think there will be no future upgrades. To be sure, their upgrade support for the THD and S3 will no doubt be tapering off rapidly, but S1 and S2 patches continued to be delivered long after each respective platform had been capped. I expect there will be upgrades coming out for the S3 / THD for a while.

I'm not saying there won't be future updates, just saying that updates will come rarely. Hence, it's pretty rare to have to deal with a software update.

But actually when tivo officially announced that they were going to wipe their hands of the S1 units, there were literally no new updates for the S1, save for the S1 dtivo units which received only one update, which was mandated by directv.

They have never made any such announcement for the S2 or even S3 units however. So yeah you'll still see updates, just they won't happen often.