PDA

View Full Version : 2T hard drive in a hacked S3 TiVo

lrhorer
07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
In the past I have chosen not to upgrade my S3 TiVo from a 1T internal + 1T external drive, but two things are fast aproaching that are leading me to eventually reconsider.

The first is that upgrades to the S3 platform are going to be slowing down and eventually stopping altogether. Although my S3 is already hacked, it was always possible TiVo might do something that caused the drive to become incompatible with the hacked kernel. With the other hacks, this would merely mean the hacks quit working, but with the hard drive hack, it might mean the loss of everything, or at least all the videos. Although admittedly unlikely, the likelihood, tiny in the first place, is dwindling fast. At some point, rather than neutering the kernel every time a new software update gets pushed, I will simply use Jamie's custom kernel to run the TiVo.

The second impediment is I upgraded my TiVo from 1T to 2T before the unit was hacked, so a number of videos still on the external drive cannot be copied off to the server. Divorcing the external drive in order to implement an upgrade would lose those recordings. As time has passed, however, the shows recorded after the second hard drive was attached have been re-broadcast one at a time, so that the number remaining that may be on the second hard drive is falling to the point where I would consider just risking the loss of the remaining ones.

So what is required to implement a 2T drive on an original S3? Obviously, I need Jamie's custom Gen05 kernel, but then is it as easy as copying the data to the 2T hard drive, installing the Gen05 kernel, running WinMFS 9.3, and answering, "No" when it asks if the user wishes to limit the drive size to 1TB?

crashHD
07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Why is a custom kernel required? I just put a 2tb drive in a Series2 with a standard kernel.
Does the Series3 have a limitation the Series2 does not?

Jamie
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
A few years back, the tivo kernel barfed with partitions larger than 1TiB: ref (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=418966). This, in combination with the fact that the upgrade tools always wanted to expand by adding a pair of partitions meant that it was difficult to get a system with > 1TiB + stock system size without a custom kernel that fixed the tivo kernel limitation.

I haven't really been following closely lately, so I don't know if this is still the state of the world for either the S2 or S3.

crashHD
07-08-2011, 06:59 AM
I just put a 2TB drive in a DirecTV Series2. I manually created a MFS partition exactly 1TB (2147833648 sectors), and the system crashed.

I manually created a MFS partition 2147475456 sectors (8192 less than 1TB, or one block when using an r value of 2 (if math checks out)), and the system booted fine.

The rest of the drive was filled out with a standard mfsadd -xr2.

I started with an instantcake image. This was one of the later versions, that install an image with only a single MFS partition pair (looks suspiciously like an "mfs from scratch" image).

I knew a custom kernel is required for MFS partitions over 1TB, I just didn't know if a partition over 1TB is the only way to reach 2TB on a Series3. I didn't know if one could apply this same method to a Series3 or not.

lrhorer
07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
That may very well be the way the folks who are selling 2T hard drives for unhacked S3 TiVos are managing it. They are keeping their lips sealed, though.

ktoyax
07-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Have you checked out the JMFS tools? Check out this link: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179

I have used the JMFS tools to upgrade a TivoHD to 2TB. I used version 1.04. When I did the upgrade a few months ago the S3 was not supported but I have not kept up with the progress with the tool to see if someone has figured out how to make it work with the S3.

Note: While I am using Jaime's custom kernel it is not necessary as I have also run the 2TB TivoHD with the stock kernel. Also, while this tool offers you the option you cannot use it to SuperSize the drive. If the original drive is SuperSized it will save the setting. Otherwise you can use WinMFS to SuperSize the drive after you expand it.

Good luck!

lrhorer
07-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Have you checked out the JMFS tools? Check out this link: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179

I have used the JMFS tools to upgrade a TivoHD to 2TB. I used version 1.04. When I did the upgrade a few months ago the S3 was not supported but I have not kept up with the progress with the tool to see if someone has figured out how to make it work with the S3.
AFAIK, it still does not work on an S3.

Note: While I am using Jaime's custom kernel it is not necessary as I have also run the 2TB TivoHD with the stock kernel.
Yes, but the THD uses a different file system than the S3.

ktoyax
07-13-2011, 05:29 AM
AFAIK, it still does not work on an S3.

That's too bad. I know absolutely nothing about the S3 but was hoping that someone had gotten JMFS Tools working with the S3 since using it made for by far the easiest hard drive upgrade I have ever performed on a Tivo.